Manual Transmission Cruise Control Surprise

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
So I got my new JLUR yesterday. I love cruise and use it more than most. I've only ever had one car with an automatic transmission in my entire life.

So in all my previous manual transmission vehicles (2012 JK included), if you have the cruise set and you take it out of gear or push in the clutch, cruise control has always disengaged. Not so with a JL 6spd MT.

So I'm driving and I coming up on a slower vehicle so I put it in neutral and coast for a bit to slow down. I then put it back in gear and it just starts accelerating. I'm like WTF and hit the brakes, which disengaged cruise. So I tried it again and when it was in neutral before putting it back in gear I noticed a message in the dash cluster that said something like "Cruise will cancel if left in neutral" or something like that, there may have been a count down. So the only way to disengage cruise is to actually hit the brakes. It was very strange!!

On another note. Adaptive cruise is AWESOME!!!
Sponsored

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
That's really odd, my cruise control disengages even if I just look at the clutch pedal, let alone throwing it out of gear. I think something isn't working the way it should, I'd get it checked out.
I drive a 2020 JL sport 6spd, but have a Rubicon on order...once that comes in I'll definitely check on the cruise control after seeing this.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I tested this just the other day, and my Jeep most definitely kicks off the cruise when I push in the clutch. I was hoping it would put the cruise back on when I released the pedal, but it didn't.

I don't have adaptive cruise. That might cause your Jeep to behave differently by design. Still, I doubt it. Not cutting throttle when you push in the clutch pedal sounds like a dangerous malfunction to me. I'd get it checked out.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
That's really odd, my cruise control disengages even if I just look at the clutch pedal, let alone throwing it out of gear. I think something isn't working the way it should, I'd get it checked out.
I drive a 2020 JL sport 6spd, but have a Rubicon on order...once that comes in I'll definitely check on the cruise control after seeing this.
My will disengage also, same for when the traction control kicks on.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
My will disengage also, same for when the traction control kicks on.
traction control kills cruise control in all properly working vehicles that I've owned

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Sounds like difference in designed behavior in vehicles with adaptive cruise control vs standard cruise control.

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I have standard cruse... It disengages when I even think about touching the clutch. Does not re-engage on it's own. I hit resume button, and it'll return to cruse.

Jklaus77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
2021 Rubicon. Adaptive Cruise. Mine works the same. Clutch in, downshift to 5th, clutch out, cruise resumes automatically.

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Mine disengages with the clutch. Wonder if this is an adaptive CC feature?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So I got my new JLUR yesterday. I love cruise and use it more than most. I've only ever had one car with an automatic transmission in my entire life.

So in all my previous manual transmission vehicles (2012 JK included), if you have the cruise set and you take it out of gear or push in the clutch, cruise control has always disengaged. Not so with a JL 6spd MT.

So I'm driving and I coming up on a slower vehicle so I put it in neutral and coast for a bit to slow down. I then put it back in gear and it just starts accelerating. I'm like WTF and hit the brakes, which disengaged cruise. So I tried it again and when it was in neutral before putting it back in gear I noticed a message in the dash cluster that said something like "Cruise will cancel if left in neutral" or something like that, there may have been a count down. So the only way to disengage cruise is to actually hit the brakes. It was very strange!!

On another note. Adaptive cruise is AWESOME!!!
My wife's 2016 Honda Pilot had adaptive cruise...it will spoil you. Going back to a normal cruise control you'll be right on top of someone before you realize it's not slowing down.
It does sound like this is a technology group/adaptive cruise feature. Very smart. My manual Rubicon does not resume until I hit the button.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I must be in the minority when it comes to adaptive cruise, I don’t like it.
I absolutely loved it until a recent 600 mile road trip.
I would have ACC engaged while following another vehicle at my preferred speed and everything's going great until I finally notice the vehicle ahead of me gradually reduced speed and so did I. With regular CC I would have noticed immediately and passed it and carried on my merry way at my desired speed.

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
my 20 JTR WITH ACC does not disable cruse when depressing the clutch. Once i knew that i found that i liked its operation.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must be in the minority when it comes to adaptive cruise, I don’t like it.
I absolutely loved it until a recent 600 mile road trip.
I would have ACC engaged while following another vehicle at my preferred speed and everything's going great until I finally notice the vehicle ahead of me gradually reduced speed and so did I. With regular CC I would have noticed immediately and passed it and carried on my merry way at my desired speed.
I could definitely see that happening. At least if you leave the center cluster on the digital speedometer you can see the speed drop. With just an analog speedometer I could see myself being lulled into oblivion and then look down realize I'm 5-10mph under the speed limit.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's 2016 Honda Pilot had adaptive cruise...it will spoil you. Going back to a normal cruise control you'll be right on top of someone before you realize it's not slowing down.
It does sound like this is a technology group/adaptive cruise feature. Very smart. My manual Rubicon does not resume until I hit the button.
Truer words have never been spoken. I used it on the way to work today and I am hooked!!

I have adaptive cruise and it does NOT cancel cruise if I depress the clutch
my 20 JTR WITH ACC does not disable cruse when depressing the clutch. Once i knew that i found that i liked its operation.
Yes, I figured this out today. The only time it disengages without hitting the brake is if you coast in neutral for about 5 seconds. On my way to work today traffic would vary between 50 and 70. So I set the ACC at 70mph. I could switch from 5th to 6th, back to 5th and then back to 6th as traffic sped up and slowed down. I never had to touch the cruise, it just kept up with the car in front of me. Until a jack hole cuts into the gap between me and the car in front of me, then the Jeep brakes hard to keep the distance.

After driving to work and home today I've come to the conclusion that the Advanced Safety Group is a must have for daily drivers. I'm glad I added that. The adaptive auto high beam lights works really well too!
Sponsored