DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Two things....First is the obvious. You know we can't sit here and restrain ourselves from asking what the heck happened, right? :CWL: There just MUST be an epic story involved here that would make SportsCenter for Jeeps, if there was such a thing!

Secondly, it is amazing what these complex pieces of machinery are capable of surviving. Wow!

My brother had a 91 YJ 2.5/5 speed. My nephew was 16 and snuck it out to do a little off-roading on some sand flats by White River in Indianapolis. He was driving along in the water when his left wheels went over a drop off. The Jeep landed under water on the driver side. My nephew crawled out the passenger side and got up on the sand flat and sat on a log for two hours before finally calling his Dad. When my brother got there, I can only imagine his reaction. When he realized it had been sitting under water for well over two hours at that point, he asked his son why he waited so long to call him. His response? "I was trying to think of what I was going to tell you." LOL, my brother blew a gasket at that point and said, "WHAT?!?" "What story did you imagine you were going to come up with that would explain this?!?" :LOL::CWL:

So, that Jeep was pulled out by a wrecker and taken to a local shop in our town west of Indianapolis. They removed the gas tank and cleaned mud out of it, cleaned it out, removed valve covers, etc, cleaned what they could, and changed every fluid, including the coolant, power steering, brake, axles, t-case, oil, tranny,etc, and even the window washer. They ran it for a few minutes around the parking lot, then drained and refilled again (everything but the window washer fluid at this point) They drove it a bit more this time and did it again. At that point, they told my brother to change the oil again at 200 miles and inspect it, as well as the transmission and axle fluid. They all looked good at that point, but he changed it again. That little Jeep was later sold to another family member who ran it until it rusted out. It had well over 300k miles on it with no rebuilds, but only a couple clutch replacements. The engine ran great and the tranny had no issues, even when the rest of the Jeep was pretty much toast. Amazing!

So based on that, the only thing I'd recommend is inspecting and changing the tranny and affected components' fluids one more time after a couple hundred miles, just for good measure. It might not be necessary, but it sure couldn't hurt.
Sponsored

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Long story short, I flooded the jeep the day I bought it and never even made it home. It was used but still not a proud moment.

I was crossing a River after watching a Jeep go through maybe 25ft to my driver side...so I figured it was safe to cross.
As I proceeded to cross in the water...I was maybe 1/3 if the way through and out of no where was a 6ft shelf in the sand bar and my Jeep took a nose dive. Water was past my hood and halfway up on the driver side window at an angle straight down maybe a 45 degree angle. As soon as I realized I couldnā€™t reverse I shut off the engine. GMRS back to my buddy behind me and said Iā€™m stuck and canā€™t move. Water started coming up inside towards my feet inside the cab. Maybe 30mins had past before the motor was out of water. I was able to open my doors and let water out of the cab. And pulled the drain plugs to remove remaining water simultaneously. all electrical went to a fritz, oil/gasoline leaked into the water and thatā€™s was it. Disconnected all batteries and killed the jeep completely. (Yes both main and aux).
Towed back to Dallas, wife didnā€™t talk to me for like two weeks, and I sent from shop to shop, then worked on my own and last dealership got it started. This was a span of three months, and was able to get the Jeep back before thanksgiving and drove it from Dallas to Denver just fine. (At this point the only thing replaced was the spark plugs, diff flushed, motor flushed, tranny cycled with with fluid and that was all. The original PCM was replaced after new one didnā€™t work. Itā€™s really a mystery how the Jeep is running right now. Even the guys at the dealership (whom is the best dealership Iā€™ve dealt with. They actually were intrigued to get the Jeep running) where as two other dealers didnā€™t give two shits so they ran me a bill for random parts.
Overall, like I said itā€™s a mystery...that I am willing to put behind me.

This Jeep has been on road to various parks, overland trips, out of state and collectively close to 10k miles in the last 6-8 weeks since I got her back. Itā€™s been a blast and so far so good. Runs even better after the thorough fluid flush. And feel the more miles I get on the odometer the more itā€™s getting broken-in again and running smoother each time.

Cheers,

P.S. I now have anxiety when I come to large water crossings. Not fun.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Two things....First is the obvious. You know we can't sit here and restrain ourselves from asking what the heck happened, right? :CWL: There just MUST be an epic story involved here that would make SportsCenter for Jeeps, if there was such a thing!

Secondly, it is amazing what these complex pieces of machinery are capable of surviving. Wow!

My brother had a 91 YJ 2.5/5 speed. My nephew was 16 and snuck it out to do a little off-roading on some sand flats by White River in Indianapolis. He was driving along in the water when his left wheels went over a drop off. The Jeep landed under water on the driver side. My nephew crawled out the passenger side and got up on the sand flat and sat on a log for two hours before finally calling his Dad. When my brother got there, I can only imagine his reaction. When he realized it had been sitting under water for well over two hours at that point, he asked his son why he waited so long to call him. His response? "I was trying to think of what I was going to tell you." LOL, my brother blew a gasket at that point and said, "WHAT?!?" "What story did you imagine you were going to come up with that would explain this?!?" :LOL::CWL:

So, that Jeep was pulled out by a wrecker and taken to a local shop in our town west of Indianapolis. They removed the gas tank and cleaned mud out of it, cleaned it out, removed valve covers, etc, cleaned what they could, and changed every fluid, including the coolant, power steering, brake, axles, t-case, oil, tranny,etc, and even the window washer. They ran it for a few minutes around the parking lot, then drained and refilled again (everything but the window washer fluid at this point) They drove it a bit more this time and did it again. At that point, they told my brother to change the oil again at 200 miles and inspect it, as well as the transmission and axle fluid. They all looked good at that point, but he changed it again. That little Jeep was later sold to another family member who ran it until it rusted out. It had well over 300k miles on it with no rebuilds, but only a couple clutch replacements. The engine ran great and the tranny had no issues, even when the rest of the Jeep was pretty much toast. Amazing!

So based on that, the only thing I'd recommend is inspecting and changing the tranny and affected components' fluids one more time after a couple hundred miles, just for good measure. It might not be necessary, but it sure couldn't hurt.
Good to know how rugged our Jeepā€™s really are.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission and T-Case Fluid Change Today IMG_9525.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission and T-Case Fluid Change Today IMG_9526.JPG

Did my 30k interval fluid change on the 6-Speed Transmission and Transfer Case yesterday. Took about 4 1/2 quarts of ATF+4 to do both.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Did my 30k interval fluid change on the 6-Speed Transmission and Transfer Case yesterday. Took about 4 1/2 quarts of ATF+4 to do both.
Nice! That's under 30 bucks to do both, with an ATF+4 like Valvoline, or even under $25 if using one like Supertech. I'd bet a dealer would charge an arm and a leg for that. Probably a couple hundred bucks, anyway!

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Nice! That's under 30 bucks to do both, with an ATF+4 like Valvoline, or even under $25 if using one like Supertech. I'd bet a dealer would charge an arm and a leg for that. Probably a couple hundred bucks, anyway!
I picked up Castrol Transmax ATF+4 from Autozone down the street from my house. They had it on sale, so extra bonus. Definitely way cheaper to do it yourself. I filmed the process, I'll try and wrap up the video and post it here.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Here is my fluid change. Hope this helps out.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Changed out my Trans Fluid a few months ago, having issues with getting locked out of 1st and Reverse on a cold start..... If I shift into 3rd or 4th I can then put it into 1st or Revers, going to trying swapping out the Trans Fluid AGAIN with Redline C+ ATF.

Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Changed out my Trans Fluid a few months ago, having issues with getting locked out of 1st and Reverse on a cold start..... If I shift into 3rd or 4th I can then put it into 1st or Revers, going to trying swapping out the Trans Fluid AGAIN with Redline C+ ATF.
Curious to hear how it goes. I have been thinking about trying some different fluid in mine as it is a bit quirky when cold especially.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Curious to hear how it goes. I have been thinking about trying some different fluid in mine as it is a bit quirky when cold especially.
Yeah I am curious also. I haven't had an issues like that with mine. What oil did you use last time?

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Would it hurt changing the fluid after 2 thousand miles to get out anything from the initial transmission break-in or am I being overly cautious

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah I am curious also. I haven't had an issues like that with mine. What oil did you use last time?
I think Valvoline, can't honestly remember.

There are a few other members that are also experiencing the lockout on cold starts, 1 stated that it went away when he switched to redline so we will see.

Will update y'all once I swap over the fluid and a few days after.
Sponsored