Manual tranny gearing

Minilla

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Hey guys, just some thoughts while driving around town in my completely stock 2 door sport with manny tranny.

Anyone else feel like 5th gear is kinda...useless? By the time I feel like putting the jeep in a higher gear than 4th, I just go straight to 6th. I'm only getting 300 rpm decrease from 5th to 6th. And at the same time 1st gear is just too damn high.

Wish they'd've made 1st gear a true granny gear and dropped all the gears except 6th one gear lower. Relabeling all of them from c-5th. This would make all the auto guys super jelly though.

Might be a dumb question but there's no way to gut the transmission and change all of this is there?

BTW you guys are awesome.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lower axle gears fix all the problems you speak of. I’m running 5.13s with 37” tires and my 6 speed is a joy to drive again.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
On rubicon 4.10’s here and I felt the same way till about 1000 miles or so and then it felt like the engine livened up a lot, maybe placebo but feels like it accelerates better now?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I thought they just added 5 and 6 with a sharpie?
But yes, 5th is weird. I still use it because 6th brings my revs down too far at 55 on the freeway here. When accelerating I usually skip past it though until traffic slows me down.
Sponsored