Sponsored

Manual sway bar disconnect

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Can someone guide me on exactly how to disconnect the passenger side? It’s different from the drivers side in that one of the bolts is “hidden” inside a little , and I can’t get the wrench/socket to hold.

Quick(er) disconnects are in the plans but we can’t put them on if we can’t get these off. Plus I would like to first decide if it’s worth it, or if manual is good enough for now.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The passenger side has a flag nut. Basically you should be able to loosen the bolt without holding the nut. To make it easier turn the steering wheel all the way to the passenger side to open up the wheel. If you need more help let me know and i will go outside and take some pics.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
The passenger side has a flag nut. Basically you should be able to loosen the bolt without holding the nut. To make it easier turn the steering wheel all the way to the passenger side to open up the wheel. If you need more help let me know and i will go outside and take some pics.
GOT IT! Thanks, ThirtyOne!

Jacob808smith

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Can someone guide me on exactly how to disconnect the passenger side? It’s different from the drivers side in that one of the bolts is “hidden” inside a little , and I can’t get the wrench/socket to hold.

Quick(er) disconnects are in the plans but we can’t put them on if we can’t get these off. Plus I would like to first decide if it’s worth it, or if manual is good enough for now.

Thanks!
How did you get the top two bolts out?Did you have to use an Allen key or do you just need to loosen the bolt? I’m trying to take mine off to install sway bar quick disconnects.
Thanks!!

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
How did you get the top two bolts out?Did you have to use an Allen key or do you just need to loosen the bolt? I’m trying to take mine off to install sway bar quick disconnects.
Thanks!!
I can't tell you how to take it off, but to remove the bolt on the passenger side you only need one 18mm socket/wrench to unscrew the bolt. The side I couldn't reach is actually a flag nut, meaning when you turn the bolt, the flag nut prevents the nut from turning (so you don't need to hold both sides at the same time).

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Thanks!!
did this last weekend. you use an allen key and a wrench to remove the top bolts.

so far ive just been using an electric ratchet to remove my links when i go offroading. takes about 30 seconds for each side. then just swing them up and tie strap em.

i did lose the flag nut. forgot to put it away when i tied up the link. went to the dealer and they were lost and couldnt figure it out. its not in the parts catalog. the parts guy called engineering in detroit(?) and was told they only have flag nuts on the assembly line. they dont sell them. if you lose it, you just use a regular nut like the driver's side.

Morrison

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Correctional Officer - Maximum Security Prison
Forgive my ignorance as this is my first jeep and I've only been trailing once, but is it unsafe to only disconnect one of the sway bar links? When I went trailing last year we disconnected the driver side but not the passenger I'm assuming because of this flag nut and the other guys were JK owners and thought it had something to do with my lift. I did fine on the trails but will my articulation be limited or am I in danger of damaging anything if I don't disconnect both links? Thanks so much. I'm trying to figure this out before I go this weekend.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Forgive my ignorance as this is my first jeep and I've only been trailing once, but is it unsafe to only disconnect one of the sway bar links? When I went trailing last year we disconnected the driver side but not the passenger I'm assuming because of this flag nut and the other guys were JK owners and thought it had something to do with my lift. I did fine on the trails but will my articulation be limited or am I in danger of damaging anything if I don't disconnect both links? Thanks so much. I'm trying to figure this out before I go this weekend.
disconnect both sides. Its super easy to do. I take a cordless ratchet with me now. Takes seconds

Morrison

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Correctional Officer - Maximum Security Prison
disconnect both sides. Its super easy to do. I take a cordless ratchet with me now. Takes seconds
10-4 and how low should I air down my tires if I'm running 37s?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

10-4 and how low should I air down my tires if I'm running 37s?
I run my 35s around 15-17lbs usually. Yiu can go lower if its a more difficult trail i believe. no lower than 12 psi i believe.
If you have beadlocks you can go really low.
Sponsored