Manual Shift Knob - Loose and rocking side to side... slightly

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
I had an issue with my parking brake jingling when I released it... it sounded like a bracket or nuts/washers were loose...

That WAS the case and the dealer removed the center console to address/fix the issue...

But since then, my shift knob (manual) seems to "rock" left and right about a cm. It is solid front to rear, but certainly now feels a tad loose side to side.
I drove around Long Island on Saturday looking for a dealership with another JL Manual with no success... the dealer who also drives a stick told me he now notices his shift knob "wobbling" the slightest bit...

Anyone else feel this in their shifter? It's starting to make me a little nuts. I truly don't recall if it did this out of the showroom or before the dealer repair... it went in for service with less than 500 miles on it...

Thanks! Rob

Shift Knob.png
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine rocks ever so slightly side to side with a click. Maybe a mm. Didnt know it did it until i went out to check for you.
Thanks, now its gonna drive me crazy.
Just kidding

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Mine is a little loose, too. I asked the dealer about it the last time it was in, and they said it is normal... for whatever that is worth. It hasn't gotten any worse in 5k miles and I've stopped noticing it for the most part.

OP
OP
Conforte

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
Thanks.... I thought it was rock solid when it left the dealership at purchase... and then, after having them disassemble the center console... I guess I became hypersensitive... The dealer said he would order another knob for me, but now I think they all have the slightest bit of play in them...

I was going to pull it off and fill it with some kind of sealant to take up the little bit of slack... but I guess I'll just leave it.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I noticed quite a while ago that mine rocks side to side a bit, kind of annoys me, but not enough to do anything about it.

Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Mine has the same small side to side play in it since I bought it.

OP
OP
Conforte

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if they threw a "set screw" in future production... That said, and I think its a great design for a factory knob... although, it'll probably be replaced sometime in the future like the one on my J-10...

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Mine is loose up and down by about 1cm. You can here it pop when putting pressure on it shifting.

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
anyone find a fix for this?
Sponsored