Sponsored

Manual Rubicon 4.88 or Willys XR (help me pick one)

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Yeah I was hoping to order one now so that it would be delivered while I was home from work, but since I haven't actually driven the manual I should wait to test drive one first. I guess that will give me a chance to see how Earl, and reign will look. I wish Gobi was still an option.
You can check with the dealer and feel out how committed you would have to be to order. I know a lot of the manufacturers are cracking down on this but it’s possible that you could order, test drive once it arrives, and then still be able to go a different direction. You just may have to be up front with the dealership about that. The manuals are difficult to track down on a lot.
Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I'm hijacking this thread a bit.....I'm between keeping my '21 JLUR or trading in for a Willy's XR. Here's what I'm trying to decide for my use case:

Current Vehicle: '21 JLUR, Manual/V6, 4.10, not 4.88, 12k miles, trade in value $44,500, paid $42,500. added Armorlite, Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper/skid, Warn VR10s Winch. I would take the winch off before trading more than likely.

Use Case: I mainly have a Jeep for 2 reasons:
1. On the beach with sandy/salty gear 200 days a year. So.....washout flooring is a requirement, I run Bartact seat covers.

2. Camping/Hiking/Mtn Biking/Off roading trips - I'm in the southeast, so I'm mainly going to NC/TN mountains, Uwharrie, etc.

I've figured out that I like off-roading more than I did with my JK, but not quite willing to upgrade to the point where it's not comfortable on the highway (37's, etc.). I like trails rated in the 3-5 range to be honest, in the mountains where I can camp, or whatever. Lockers have gotten me out of a situation before, but honestly, so would have the winch on the front.

Proposed Vehicle: '23 Willy's XR, hard top, no other options. I don't really care about any of the electronics, etc. in the Rubicon, it's mainly just the lockers vs. LSD. Sway bar disconnect can be done manually for the 6 - 10 times/year I need it. I'm thinking it will be roughly $48k out the door (high volume dealer). I'd add a bumper/winch as soon as I got it, and probably Armorlite (or get factory option).

I'm mainly looking at the XR because I like the overall package with 35's, and I don't really need all of the Rubicon add-ons. I like the overall look of it in Hydro Blue, and I like that I could update from a '21 to a '23 for roughly $4k or so. I don't love that I'd lose the manual transmission, I really enjoy it day to day.

The other option of course being updating my JLUR with a small lift and 35's, but a spacer lift doesn't really appeal to me as my springs are already compressed an inch in the front from a winch/bumper. So.....I'm probably looking at $2k for a lift and $2k in tires (if I can keep my stock wheels).

Thoughts?

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
I'm hijacking this thread a bit.....I'm between keeping my '21 JLUR or trading in for a Willy's XR. Here's what I'm trying to decide for my use case:

Current Vehicle: '21 JLUR, Manual/V6, 4.10, not 4.88, 12k miles, trade in value $44,500, paid $42,500. added Armorlite, Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper/skid, Warn VR10s Winch. I would take the winch off before trading more than likely.

Use Case: I mainly have a Jeep for 2 reasons:
1. On the beach with sandy/salty gear 200 days a year. So.....washout flooring is a requirement, I run Bartact seat covers.

2. Camping/Hiking/Mtn Biking/Off roading trips - I'm in the southeast, so I'm mainly going to NC/TN mountains, Uwharrie, etc.

I've figured out that I like off-roading more than I did with my JK, but not quite willing to upgrade to the point where it's not comfortable on the highway (37's, etc.). I like trails rated in the 3-5 range to be honest, in the mountains where I can camp, or whatever. Lockers have gotten me out of a situation before, but honestly, so would have the winch on the front.

Proposed Vehicle: '23 Willy's XR, hard top, no other options. I don't really care about any of the electronics, etc. in the Rubicon, it's mainly just the lockers vs. LSD. Sway bar disconnect can be done manually for the 6 - 10 times/year I need it. I'm thinking it will be roughly $48k out the door (high volume dealer). I'd add a bumper/winch as soon as I got it, and probably Armorlite (or get factory option).

I'm mainly looking at the XR because I like the overall package with 35's, and I don't really need all of the Rubicon add-ons. I like the overall look of it in Hydro Blue, and I like that I could update from a '21 to a '23 for roughly $4k or so. I don't love that I'd lose the manual transmission, I really enjoy it day to day.

The other option of course being updating my JLUR with a small lift and 35's, but a spacer lift doesn't really appeal to me as my springs are already compressed an inch in the front from a winch/bumper. So.....I'm probably looking at $2k for a lift and $2k in tires (if I can keep my stock wheels).

Thoughts?
While you may not value the features of the Rubi right now, if you're getting more into off-roading you may end up wanting them more as you go (ask me how I know). You don't have to go with a spacer lift. You could just pick up some 2" lift springs. The increased load rating of those would also help with the added front weight.

In the end, you've put work and money into the Rubi that you wouldn't get back out of it in a trade in scenario, it wouldn't take much to get it where you want it to be, and it will continue to be as capable as you want it to be even if the definition of that changes as you explore the hobby more. IMO, that trumps jumping a couple of model years.

Oh and a 1000 +1s to keeping the stick shift. ;)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You can get used to anything, switching from manual to auto, or auto to manual.

The fact is, the current auto is far superior than a manual for a number of reasons. I have a 2.0T with auto, and I don’t have the problems the other poster has, because you adapt to the vehicle and you give the appropriate accelerator response in different situations. Also, you can manually shift the auto if you prefer, without having to mess with a clutch.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I never get tired of driving my 6-spd JL in traffic or anywhere else, most of the reason for that is it is so easy to drive, it's the most car-like manual equipped vehicle I own (the other two are an old F-250 and an '06 LJ). This past summer on a trip Avis handed me an automatic JL so I got to see what that was like - for four days. Meh, it's a good transmission, but just not as fun to drive.

Save the manuals, that's all I got to say... :)

Sponsored

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
I ordered the MT as it’s available with 4.88’s and does not have the etorque engine. This is a play vehicle for us and I plan to install a magnusun supercharger after the lift, tires, bumpers and winch. With the supercharger, it should be a lot of fun rowing the gears!

Pugchuck

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 sport s
I ordered the MT as it’s available with 4.88’s and does not have the etorque engine. This is a play vehicle for us and I plan to install a magnusun supercharger after the lift, tires, bumpers and winch. With the supercharger, it should be a lot of fun rowing the gears!
I’m trying to decide whether to order a 2024 2 door MT Rubicon with standard 4.10 or change to optional 4.88. I’m going to change to 35” tires right away. Any thoughts? I’ve read that the MT needs a lower gear ratio as the AT will compensate. But I don’t want to get where it doesn’t perform well as a DD. The Extreme Recon package changes the gear ratio to 4.56, but this is not available on the 2 doors. Thanks.

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
Get the 4.88’s!
Sponsored