Manual JL using tow dolly to tow car

alcobejo

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Here is my scenario and I would love your thoughts/feedback...

I know a lot of you are going to suggest a Gladiator for towing but it just does not work in my life... For starters it wouldn't fit in my driveway... So lets talk JL only please...

I live in SoCal and plan to buy a tow dolly for my BMW race car.. I want a dolly since I can easily store it vs a flatbed plus it weights less... I plan on towing it to racetracks around Cali only.. Farthest I would go is from SoCal to Sonoma raceway which is about 450 miles with some highway hill climbs.. But majority of the time I would go to Willow Springs which is only 100 miles..

With the JL and BMW stats below what concerns me is my JL payload... I would be hauling 2,750lb which would make my available JL payload 575lb since my door sticker says total available payload is 850lb...With my wife, son, gear, tongue weight, and upgraded steel my payload would be around negative -250lb to -350lb...

Do you think my JL setup can handle the tow?
Would my below upgrades help with the negative payload and towing?

I have a stock JL 4 door Sahara Manual w/ LSD, steel mopar F/R bumpers and steel rockrails..
Upgrade plans that relate to towing
- rubi springs with Fox 2.0 performance shocks
- 285/75/17 or 295/70/17 with a higher load rating than stock
- re-gear to 4.10 or higher
- Upgraded brakes
- Trailer sway bar and weight distribution hitch
- Brakes on dolly trailer
- Airbags?? (to help with potential droop)

BMW weighs 2400lb including gear, tires, etc.
Trailer dolly weighs 350lb

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
At this point, you should probably be thinking about the holding power of your clutch in this equation, too.

OP
OP
alcobejo

alcobejo

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
At this point, you should probably be thinking about the holding power of your clutch in this equation, too.
Ahh yes I did think of doing that as well but forgot to mention it... especially since the manual flywheels have a concerning recall right now...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
With the uncertainty of the quality of the clutch and pressure plate right now, I would not attempt this. Hopefully Mopar or an aftermarket company come up with a stronger solution.
Sponsored