Sponsored

Manual Doors + Push Button Start = +1 to Anti-Theft?

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
So. I have a Soft Top 2Dr with manual locks. I have been doors off since Spring - keep glove/center boxes unlocked. Everything else is bolted down. Manual locks means that the tail-gate can only be opened with my key - the back panel can still be accessed, but it is not as easy as with is open. I am wondering if since I don't have an "unlock" button on my Jeep does this make it harder to pin-point my stand-alone Jeep? I keep my keys in an anti theft pouch while at home as to not release the signal overnight.

I understand that if anyone wants it bad enough - they can have it, but I wonder if this becomes more confusing to potential thieves since the car doesn't register an unlock command. It would technically have to be targeted specifically for anyone in it to realize it can't unlock with a fob.

Curious to hear your thoughts!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So. I have a Soft Top 2Dr with manual locks. I have been doors off since Spring - keep glove/center boxes unlocked. Everything else is bolted down. Manual locks means that the tail-gate can only be opened with my key - the back panel can still be accessed, but it is not as easy as with is open. I am wondering if since I don't have an "unlock" button on my Jeep does this make it harder to pin-point my stand-alone Jeep? I keep my keys in an anti theft pouch while at home as to not release the signal overnight.

I understand that if anyone wants it bad enough - they can have it, but I wonder if this becomes more confusing to potential thieves since the car doesn't register an unlock command. It would technically have to be targeted specifically for anyone in it to realize it can't unlock with a fob.

Curious to hear your thoughts!
Why not just cut the soft top?

My Sahara has always on gps vehicle tracker built in the 8.4 UC so I can always know where it is. probably also +1 anti theft.

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Why not just cut the soft top?

My Sahara has always on gps vehicle tracker built in the 8.4 UC so I can always know where it is. probably also +1 anti theft.
True.

My question isn't so much getting in to the vehicle (if I get naked there is no window to cut). I mean to say that it won't technically unlock unless the door harness is disconnected or the door is open (a thief would probably try to avoid opening the door triggering an alarm since it would be easy getting into the soft top ). Basically you'd have to have the right skill or time to figure out how to make the push to start available.

A lot of others on here has had issues starting their jeeps before unlocking them with the fob (doors off).

*Edit* How would they know which signal is mine if I never send a signal unlock?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
True.

My question isn't so much getting in to the vehicle (if I get naked there is no window to cut). I mean to say that it won't technically unlock unless the door harness is disconnected or the door is open (a thief would probably try to avoid opening the door triggering an alarm since it would be easy getting into the soft top ). Basically you'd have to have the right skill or time to figure out how to make the push to start available.

A lot of others on here has had issues starting their jeeps before unlocking them with the fob (doors off).

*Edit* How would they know which signal is mine if I never send a signal unlock?
Sport S trim and higher have alarms that need to be disarmed (by unlocking with the fob or the key) before starting the engine. Our base Sport trim does not have an alarm.
Sponsored