Manual - Clutch engagement - 2021 JLU

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
@nomographer, what procedure did you use to calibrate the throttle?

Trying to drive my Rubi in first in stop and go is painful. The throttle is an on/off affair. Very jerky. And rev hang is an everyday occurance. If I am rolling down the road, push in the clutch and rev the engine to 4k or so, it will stay there for a few seconds. Then out of curiosity, I ran it up in second gear and let off the throttle. The Jeep kept on trucking like it was on cruise control.

Pete
Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
@nomographer, what procedure did you use to calibrate the throttle?

Trying to drive my Rubi in first in stop and go is painful. The throttle is an on/off affair. Very jerky. And rev hang is an everyday occurance. If I am rolling down the road, push in the clutch and rev the engine to 4k or so, it will stay there for a few seconds. Then out of curiosity, I ran it up in second gear and let off the throttle. The Jeep kept on trucking like it was on cruise control.

Pete
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...by-january-22-2021.65706/page-24#post-1533883

The first time didn't take for me. Second and third times it worked. After the Y01 recall flash it was the first thing I tested on the lot, and the flash blew out the values and it was either idle or 5krpm. One pass of this procedure and I could hold around 1.8k, which was good enough for me to drive out of there and get on with my day.

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
Test drove a manual 2 door rubi yesterday while patiently awaiting the arrival of the one I ordered. I have Driven stick since I was 16 when my dad said “if you want to go anywhere you will figure it out” having left me with a beater 78 Ford F-150 while he and my mom went on a vacation. most recently had a manual JK. Test driving the JL manual felt entirely off to me as I struggled to not look like a complete idiot driving off the lot. Started to question my decision (we have the 2.0 in JLU willys cuz the mrs needs her remote start). Found this thread, awesome to have the calibration screenshot in my picture roll now for day one when I pick mine up, thank you!

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Test drove a manual 2 door rubi yesterday while patiently awaiting the arrival of the one I ordered. I have Driven stick since I was 16 when my dad said “if you want to go anywhere you will figure it out” having left me with a beater 78 Ford F-150 while he and my mom went on a vacation. most recently had a manual JK. Test driving the JL manual felt entirely off to me as I struggled to not look like a complete idiot driving off the lot. Started to question my decision (we have the 2.0 in JLU willys cuz the mrs needs her remote start). Found this thread, awesome to have the calibration screenshot in my picture roll now for day one when I pick mine up, thank you!
I went directly from a manual 5pd TJ Sport to the JLR. Two completely different worlds.

However....I resisted frustration and paid attention to what I was doing. 1st gear on the Rubi is pretty quick - that took a little to get used to. 1st to 2nd could be jerky once in a while. But like I said, pay attention to and and you'll adjust.

Also - I'm about 1500 miles into it and it's smoothed out quite a bit. I enjoy driving it (which was my main concern/fear for the first 100miles or so)

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I don't have issues starting from neutral to 1st gear. With 1250 miles on my odometer, I can get moving between 1000-1500 rpm max. 1st to 2nd shift feels like a truck gear. And prone to bunny hop specially if speed in first gear exceeds over 12 mph. To smoothen out the 1st - 2nd shift, I shift very soon to 2nd, at around 8 mph. 3rd gear onwards, it feels like a car manual shift and like butter.

My other challenge is climbing the incline on my driveway into the garage and carefully snaking in into a tight half of my side in the 2 car garage. I manage to master that by feathering the clutch and it climbs easily in 500 - 600 rpm.
Hoping that such a low rpm slipping is expected to be part of normal wear/tear and not considered excessive.

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
When I first bought my JLR the clutch felt very springy, which I liked but was easy to stall if I wasn’t paying attention. After a few miles it broke in and feels great now. Bite point is about halfway. Sometimes I hear a clunk going from first to second but that might be me not pushing the clutch in fully. I start in second
from a stop occasionally with no issues. Glad I have a manual but my wife can’t drive it, hoping to teach her.

Malachi

First Name
Malachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Harley FXDB, 2021 JL Willys Manual
I love my JL, and don't regret buying the manual.
That said, it's the most agitating manual I have ever driven. That includes 7 other manual vehicles I've owned, as well as a moving truck I rented once. That micron thin engagement point 3/4 up the lever travel .... good god, aftermarket, save me please

Jon 1971

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Willys Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
1SG, USA (RET)
I don't have issues starting from neutral to 1st gear. With 1250 miles on my odometer, I can get moving between 1000-1500 rpm max. 1st to 2nd shift feels like a truck gear. And prone to bunny hop specially if speed in first gear exceeds over 12 mph. To smoothen out the 1st - 2nd shift, I shift very soon to 2nd, at around 8 mph. 3rd gear onwards, it feels like a car manual shift and like butter.

I agree with the above. 1st is definitely a granny gear and prone to jerk a little when shifting to 2nd. I drove MT's for 10s of thousands of miles, but haven't driven one in about 10 years......1st to 2nd feels like a 90s HD truck to me, other gears easy. FWIW I've only got 200 miles on the OD, so could and probably will change. BTW, I too killed it 3 times in the dealership parking lot, haven't since although probably just jinxed myself!

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
I just got my Manual trans JLUR yesterday (worth the 6-week wait!) and I have a question about the clutch engagement position .... where does the clutch release / engage on your JLUR?

For clarity, when I say "release / engage" I mean when does the vehicle start to move. The clutch on my new vehicle engages very late in the clutch travel... that is, very high. It's a bit awkward and I haven't been very smooth in my first few drives :) I would much prefer that the clutch engage lower to the floor - doesn't have to be right off the floor, but definitely lower than 3/4 of the way up, as it is now.

I have been driving stick-shift my whole life. I actually LEARNED to drive on an old 3-on-the-column Ford truck, so I'm not new to driving a manual... this isn't a lack of experience issue.

So again, the questions are:
* Where does your clutch engage? Is this just a "feature" of the 2021 JLURs?
* Is this something I could go back to the dealer and have them work on?

Any info is appreciated.
In general, I think I agree that having the clutch point closer to the floor is preferred, BUT, I also think it depends on what you are used to...

I had a manual JKUR, and the clutch was so much worse. The JL transmission is such an improvement (both the MT and AT - The AT more so, but I can't pass on the stick).

I also have a WRX, which has a much more 'sport' transmission. It can be a challenge to switch between when you're accustomed to one or the other (WRX is the 'commuter/road trip' vehicle, while the JL is mostly just a toy - camping/wheeling/convertible summer rig). I prefer the clutch/transmission in the Subaru (also manual), but i still tend to grab the keys to the JL

Sponsored

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Previously I had a JLURD with the auto which is a great transmission, for an auto. Now driving a JL with the stick and before both of these, had a '13 JK with stick. The '21 clutch pedal seems to me to have a different arc in foot travel, (maybe a higher starting point, not sure), has a lighter spring (which makes it harder to feel just what's happening), and takes a lot longer to figure out. I and the wife both stalled this Jeep several times when new, but after a few thousand miles, it's just like any other manual to me now. BTW, the new transmission is much better than the JK manual IMHO.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I sometimes feel that the engagement or bite point of the clutch varies with different gears. I feel it catches early on lower gears and higher on higher gears. Is this technically even possible with the hydraulic clutch or just my imagination?

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
I have adopted a 2 point clutch movement. Seems to really smooth things out. While shifting I bring it to the first point and the light engagement bites. Once engaged I release the pedal fully. It's a timing thing and takes some practice but has solved any issues I had when it was brand new. I find the RPMs drop VERY quickly so this first feather keeps the RPMs at a good spot for full engagement.

On a side note, after 2500 miles I am still feeling vibration in the pedal when the motor revs. If motor is at idle there is no sensation in the pedal. If I rev the engine or just rest my foot on the pedal while accelerating it's like I am feeling the harmonics from the exhaust in the pedal. Strange.

Towny_17

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited
Mine starts at mid travel when new, after the clutch recall/replacement it starts as soon as releasing the clutch.

the manual on JL sucks, so just get use to it. also the rev hang is horrible, like waiting forever for the rev to drop, or just slipping the clutch.

Did it get better after the recall fix?

Towny_17

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited
Y
The clutch gets a lot of complaints here. I don’t really have a problem with it, although it does seem to take a little more finesse than previous clutches I’ve had.

If your’s is engaging at 3/4 of the way up that doesn’t sound right to me. You might be able to find another manual to test drive and compare it to if you’re lucky. Mine engages at what I consider to be a normal position - a couple inches or so above the floor.
Yea, my clutch doesn’t engage until 3/4 at the top. It’s maddening. Stall it often.
Sponsored