Sponsored

Manley talks 2018 Jeep Wrangler reveal and reassures enthusiasts (video interview)

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

TFLcar recently had a chance to interview Jeep CEO Mike Manley who talked a bit about the JL Wrangler. Manley reconfirms that the all new Wrangler will make its debut this year, but the venue has not yet been finalized because with the 2018 Wrangler's planned production schedule, it doesn't naturally fall on a show.

We interpret this to mean that Jeep would like to reveal the all new Wrangler before its production begins in November, but none of the large US auto shows' timing are ideal. The LA Auto Show in December is too late while the NY Auto Show in April is likely too early. There are no significant US shows in between. So, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will likely be revealed at a separate launch event by Jeep.

If you prefer to read instead of watch, here is what Manley had to say regarding the next gen Wrangler:

Wrangler is going to make its debut this year. To be honest, we haven’t finalized the venue yet because if I look at the build schedule, it doesn’t actually fall naturally on a show. But, we are planning something very special. We have a concept in mind of what we want to do with Wrangler. It will definitely happen this year. The vehicle is on track.

We get this opportunity to really update the Wrangler and make sure we take it well into the future. In terms of its capability, we’ve been very very clear all Wranglers need to have the capability and more of today. Its capability will not be diminished at all, but lightweight materials will be important, different powertrains will be important. Fuel economy will be a huge deal. We have to make sure that we enhance maintain Wrangler’s capability, but we make sure we make a strong leap in fuel economy. I think you’ll be very pleased when you see it.

It’s very very important that we stay true to what Wrangler has been and what it always will be. It’s icon of our brand, it’s absolutely the DNA of the brand. Beyond everything else that’s what we’ve focused on with this renewal. I think all the Wrangler fans out there will be happy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Sounds like the launch event will be quite a spectacle. Maybe they'll put on some theatrics like they did in 2006 when launching the JKU at the NY auto show.

Press conference had a six ton mound of dirt that everyone thought the JKU was going to come out and climb. Instead firemen came out and started blasting the dirt with a hose to reveal the car underneath. Now that's making an entrance Jeep style.

fdny-waiting.jpg

auto-show.jpg

hosed6.jpg

small-jeep.jpg

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
That does make it sound like it will be second half of the year. Anytime in the Spring and they would prob try to schedule it at the NY show or Easter Safari. If production is in October I think they'll reveal it in the Summer.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea its too bad its not Easter Safari as that would be a great place for the reveal.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I just feel Jeep has too many thing on their plate to release the details on time as the counter has been indicating.. Thou jeep could throw something together just for show then describe their plans at the event.. They'll prob be late by a few months on actually haven't something real to show for this.. You know none of these auto markers never do anything on time or by the book..
I think we'll see the JL and JLU launch on time. Layoffs have already been announced starting April for the start of retooling - Toledo layoffs for JL Wrangler retooling. So as long as retooling goes as planned, we should see the plant start cranking out the JL in November.

If there's one launch FCA won't want to botch, its the Wrangler's.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Mike Manley has made it absolutely clear that the JL will have the "Right Stuff" to carry the iconic Jeep Wrangler into the next decade, and beyond. The Easter Jeep Safari has proven this, look at the concept vehicles. Mike Manley not only "gets it", he's in a position to ensure that the JL stays true to its heritage. I'm looking forward to the "Reveal"

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Welcome to the Forum @four low

It's just some of us tend to feel differently about the way the new JL is being forced forward with technical that's suppose to be on hybrid cars and not the wrangler.. I for one just don't see this ESS system being a good idea on the wrangler especially if those who purchase the wrangler are expecting to travel off road. Unless the system can be completely disabled.. I fear this could be jeep's downfall. I only say this cause I've not met anyone who has a Grand Cherokee or Cherokee with the ESS system that takes their vehicles off road and have reported back as to if any issue occurred.
Not worried about ESS at all. I'm sure they'll implement it in a reasonable way. Manley makes clear in video they realize how important it is that they don't screw up the new Wrangler.

Also, this site's confirmation of ESS on the JL didn't actually say it'll work exactly the same way as on the Grand Cherokee. For all we know the system could be completely disable-able (by remembering last setting) in the JL Wrangler.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
ESS isn't really because Jeep wants it on there .... its because of CAFE standards which is requiring a fleet to have a specific fuel economy. I bet they know most Wrangler owners wouldnt care about it, but they are being forced to do it to get the JL to have better fuel economy.

Sponsored

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Yea its too bad its not Easter Safari as that would be a great place for the reveal.
With only a month to go before Easter Safari the debut won't be there since an announcement would have come already. It would have been a great debut venue but probably not the easiest to host the automotive press and to get them out there.

The main sticky'd info thread says JL press launch is Sept 1 so that's when the debut event will probably be. Just in time for order banks opening in October and an auto show debut at LA in Nov.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sounds like the launch event will be quite a spectacle. Maybe they'll put on some theatrics like they did in 2006 when launching the JKU at the NY auto show.

Press conference had a six ton mound of dirt that everyone thought the JKU was going to come out and climb. Instead firemen came out and started blasting the dirt with a hose to reveal the car underneath. Now that's making an entrance Jeep style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Manley talks 2018 Jeep Wrangler reveal and reassures enthusiasts (video interview) {filename}
HA HA. Wonder how much water leaked into the cabin after being hosed down with high pressure water. They opened the door and a flood of water rushed out along with a few fish.
Sponsored