Sponsored

Manley confirms Nov 28-29 LA show reveal and talks hybrid / electric Wrangler

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Manley just confirmed yesterday's info about a public reveal at the LA Auto Show, specifically on Nov 28 or 29.

“We’re going to see Wrangler this year,” he told us. “With the LA Show dates shifting back we’ve managed to coincide with that, so you’ll see new Wrangler on 28 or 29 November. “It’ll be right on the cusp of production when it hits Los Angeles and Europe will probably be August or September 2018.”

Rest of the article:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jeep/wrangler/98833/exclusive-new-2018-jeep-wrangler-secrets-uncovered

Further details of the all-new 2018 Jeep Wrangler have emerged, including news that it’s likely to be the first Jeep model to feature electric power.

Speaking to Auto Express about the new car, Jeep boss Mike Manley said: “It really does move everything the Wrangler stands for forward significantly.

“You’ll be really surprised how far we’ve been able to move things in terms of capability, fuel economy, ride comfort, noise and all of those things. I’m very pleased with where it is.”

Manley also hinted that while the new car is an all-new model, the look won’t change significantly, saying: “It’s definitely going to move the game along but you will absolutely know it’s a Wrangler – for sure! If we did anything that departed from the Wrangler formula I don’t think I’d be able to get out of the States.”

Features already seen on concept cars like the Jeep Switchback, developed for this year’s Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah, will make it onto the new car, as Manley explained: “The concepts absolutely point to the new car – stuff you’ve seen at Moab you’ll be able to point to and see in the new car.”

Most likely to make the switch from concept to production Wrangler are items like the new headlight treatment and possibly even the ‘doughnut’ doors of the Switchback. The famous cab rearward treatment, prominent bonnet, extended wheel arches and upright seven bar grille will also remain.

When asked if the new Wrangler platform was ready for electric power, Manley told us, “This platform is future-proofed.”

“Like everyone we have clearly defined plans for electrification of our vehicles. As you get into the 20s it’s impossible to have a balanced fleet without a wide range of electrification – we have those plans and we have the technology. You’ll probably hear more about electrification towards the end of this year.”

That ties in with the launch of the new Wrangler, which Manley revealed would take place at this year’s Los Angeles Auto Show. “We’re going to see Wrangler this year,” he told us. “With the LA Show dates shifting back we’ve managed to coincide with that, so you’ll see new Wrangler on 28 or 29 November.

“It’ll be right on the cusp of production when it hits Los Angeles and Europe will probably be August or September 2018.”

Manley also confirmed that a Jeep pickup would follow Wrangler out of the blocks in 2019, to be followed by the range-topping Grand Wagoneer in 2020. A smaller Jeep sitting under the Renegade is also under consideration, with Manley telling us: “We’re still very much looking at a smaller entry level Jeep – we’ve still got to work our way through a strong, viable business plan for that”

Jeep Wrangler hybrid: what we already know

Jeep has experimented with hybrid tech in past, releasing a Wrangler EV concept as long ago as 2008. And Mike Manley has previously indicated to Auto Express that the brand was considering electrification for the new Wrangler in 2015 and at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show.

In an interview at the Geneva Motor Show, Manley revealed that the next Wrangler will feature some form of hybridisation. Asked directly if a hybrid would feature in the new range, he said, “Yes. We have continued our studies on hybridisation for the Wrangler, and it’s a balance for us. Obviously there are loads of different hybrid technologies, from mild to 48v through to full battery-electric.

“For the Wrangler you need to strike the right balance; we don’t want to do something that will leave you stranded on a hillside. So for me, full battery EV is not a great fit. But hybridisation works well with the brand because of the attributes that come with electric motors – not just the torque, but also the control.”

Manley added that the new Wrangler would be put through a weight reduction programmed, but would still use the high-strength steels that ensure its robustness in extreme conditions. Jeep has also concentrated on improving the fuel economy and NVH on the new 4x4.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The countdown ticker just went to 129 days...

:ontheloo: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :jk:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea ... I guess it really doesn't matter for me since I will be a Diesel JTU buyer and not a JLU buyer ..... but still, I would like to see what I can expect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
well looks like its gonna be awhile............damn.........no wheeling till next year for me:mad::mad::(:(:no::no::angry::angry:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yea ... I guess it really doesn't matter for me since I will be a Diesel JTU buyer and not a JLU buyer ..... but still, I would like to see what I can expect.
Ditto. Except I'm going JLUR, 3.0L.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The confirmation of the push for HEV is good, the confirmation of a ridiculously late launch is not...

:mad: RANT... :angry:

So they do L.A. and in the process not only miss ordering, but more importantly miss one of the biggest Ad buying/display opportunities of the fall a week before with Thanksgiving? WTF !?!

You wanna start an advertising campaign for Xmas and the New Year, yeah that starts on Thanksgiving Everyone at home watching Big-Football on TV day, including a game in MotorCity itself, and in Wrangler territory Texas (Dallas). Yeah, wouldn't wanna take advantage of any of that. :headbang:

Now, launch at SEMA, and you have the World Series a few days later.

Launching in Europe in September means Frankfurt which makes sense as it's big show (pretty much the biggest now), but just like LA that's switching from their traditional venue of Geneva in March. The timing also makes it seem like no Export Wranglers for 2018, look to 2019 with late 2019 Model Year as an export time-frame.

Speaking of switches and Euro, it wouldn't surprise me if FCA forgoes Super Bowl ads and instead buys time in MLS to go for the 'Alternate Football' and avoid doing 'what's expected of them'. :facepalm:

Ugh! Just looks like Junior Varsity than Professional.

Though this is par for the course with FCA's history of bungled launches with the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and even recent Compass... ohh wait was the Compass launched... I don't even remember.
The only launch they did well was the Renegade, and that was likely because they got so skewered by Jeepers that they (and Jeepers) started to worry that it would be another Fiat 500 , Dart, C200 fiasco hurting the brand with their first Italian Jeep, so they actually made an effort for a change.

FCA's saving grace is that they have no competition to take advantage of the mis-steps and they will succeed despite all these fumbles.

Just a disclaimer, I'm in no hurry to see it unlike people who want to see it now despite it not even being available for months, it will arrive when it arrives, but it's disheartening seeing them stumble on a vehicle which should get a little higher calibre efforts than it seems to be receiving.

SOoo... :tumbleweed:

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
From a marketing standpoint, this makes sense. I'm sure Jeep's marketing department is completely aware of the forums and how much info we're recieving. The enthusiasts will more than likely have all info on the new Jeep by then through the forums, and the sheeple who just want to buy a boxy off road SUV will continue to buy up the JKs until then. At this point, we know there will be no major dealbreakers for enthusiasts aside from minor annoyances (lack of 2 dr Sahara).

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that there will be hype-building ads leading up to the launch.

Sponsored

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
yeah they don't have to do much,, they'll sell all they can deliver as fast as they can make them, and they know that............yeah the renegade needed to be 100% spot on with everything because it was a complete unknown................doesnt matter much to me as I want to order a specific model this time so just means even more time till I will get it..........is what it is:(:(

but missing SEMA by just a few weeks is beyond stupid!!!:cwl::cwl:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
From a marketing standpoint, this makes sense...
Really? Missing Thanksgiving Ad buy by a week makes sense from a marketing standpoint?

Launching into the weakest months of the year Jan/Feb make sense from a marketing perspective?
Remember December sales firgures are because of big year-end discounts, November is the 3rd worst month of the year, and even with the sales December is usually 4th or 5th worst in the yearly rank. March... a few months after NAIAS and right after Super Bowl is the start of buying season.. Hmmm... marketing seems to not be the priority.

FCA isn't relying on marketing, they are relying on the built-in Wrangler market/faithful to absorb early demand, because marketing sure won't shift the numbers based on this strategy. :asshat:

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Really? Missing Thanksgiving Ad buy by a week makes sense from a marketing standpoint?

Launching into the weakest months of the year Jan/Feb make sense from a marketing perspective?
Remember December sales firgures are because of big year-end discounts, November is the 3rd worst month of the year, and even with the sales December is usually 4th or 5th worst in the yearly rank. March... a few months after NAIAS and right after Super Bowl is the start of buying season.. Hmmm... marketing seems to not be the priority.

FCA isn't relying on marketing, they are relying on the built-in Wrangler market/faithful to absorb early demand, because marketing sure won't shift the numbers based on this strategy. :asshat:
I don't think they're trying to shift numbers. The jeep has HIGH market share and if they change absolutely nothing, it will remain that way. To add on the high market share, they are expanding the variants. So yea, regular marketing rules don't really apply here

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why you care Ape. This is a good strategy to prioritize Jeep faithful over muggles. (Good for us here, not good for FCA)
Sponsored