Sponsored

Manley confirms Nov 28-29 LA show reveal and talks hybrid / electric Wrangler

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I don't think they're trying to shift numbers. The jeep has HIGH market share and if they change absolutely nothing, it will remain that way. To add on the high market share, they are expanding the variants. So yea, regular marketing rules don't really apply here
Remember though, they now have two issues confronting the new product;

a) Increased capacity, by about 10K per month.
b) Comeptition from themselves in the JK (how many enthusiasts are just waiting for discount JKs? Likely some of the ones here and elsewhere with TJs or very old JKs in their profiles).

They will still shift them initially for sure, but it's definitely not through these mediocre marketing efforts, and more from the customers' own actions.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not sure why you care Ape. This is a good strategy to prioritize Jeep faithful over muggles. (Good for us here, not good for FCA)
Prioritizing US and the Muggles, would be a SEMA launch to give the enthusiasts a chance to see what they are ordering once the order banks open, and Thanksgiving gives the muggles their best look at their next vehicle when they do their Xmas/Year-end finance discussions and next year planning.

Like I said, the reason I care is that it seems bungled, and the long-term success of the platform depends on making good choices, now and into the future.

Also, if they F'ed up this softball that's part of the basic automotive handbook of marketing, how well did they implement the stuff that's unique to this vehicle and may pose a challenge to balance 'new' with 'Wrangler'. Definitely isn't confidence inspiring.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Frankfurt only shows autos in odd years, so a Europe release in 2018 means it'll go to a smaller show - maybe Brussels or Berlin.

Sad, because I'm going to Frankfurt this year and supposedly FCA isn't going at all.

Edit: I forgot about Paris. I think that's probably the ticket for Europe's release.

Ikari Warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Frankfurt only shows autos in odd years, so a Europe release in 2018 means it'll go to a smaller show - maybe Brussels or Berlin.

Sad, because I'm going to Frankfurt this year and supposedly FCA isn't going at all.

Edit: I forgot about Paris. I think that's probably the ticket for Europe's release.
If not Paris in Sept, then likely Geneva in March. Geneva is a huge show too.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
FCA know these will sell no matter what as there is ZERO alternative to a Wrangler. The problem with this line of thought is that by the time the diesels launch Ford will have the Ranger out and if they do what they did with the Raptor will be showing the 2020/21 Bronco early to build hype. Which could steal buyers (I'm one of those that could go way of Ford) This SHOULD be FCAs time to grab as much market share as they can.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Why not look at the Colorado ZR2?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Cant stand how it looks. Plus the interior is so basic.

I'm also considering a Ram 2500 and F150 Raptor ..... just would prefer not to spend that kind of money.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I really tried to like the Colorado, but the interior is so crappy I about yacked up a lung. The ZR2 with the 2.8 VMI diesel will be a mini Raptor, but unless i could get Chip Foose or someone to overhaul the interior, it's out (so it's out). :facepalm:

The JLUR hits all the marks for me, so I'm all in, when the 3.0 VMI comes out. With an overland camping top like the Ursa Minor.

However... I am a little spooked by the state-of-diesel, so starting to wrap my brain around the updated Pentastar 3.6. I could see the Pentastar if the power to weight is reasonably close to that ratio in my current WK CRD. If they really trim 500+ lbs off the JLU, relative to the JKU, and bump the pentastar by 15% in horsies and torque, it may be palatable, and in which case I'd get that with the desired 6 spd manual. Furthermore, if there's a $5k premium for the diesel :piggybank:, it'll make the decision much easier to go early and cheap (and rationalize more options on order).

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I have high hopes that FCA has figured out how to fix the low mpg issue.

If the heavy RAM 1500 with the Hemi V8 can get an EPA 15/21, I don't understand why the lighter Wrangler with a smaller V6 gets 16/21.

Now if only they actually offer a full hybrid at launch....

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
IMO a jeep wrangler is a jeep wrangler.........if you're buying it for any other reason other than how effective it is off road you're buying the wrong vehicle..........buy a cherokee..........buy a BMW.........buy one of several "off road" trucks............it amazes me what people bitch about.........I started owning jeeps back in 1995....the TJ was so much better than the CJ........and the JK, WOW..........I just sold a built 2014 JKU.........totally amazed me how I could wheel some of the most difficult trails in MOAB, and then drive home in a luxury SUV, WHILE pulling a 2500 LB trailer that I lived in while wheeling...........if you want a Toyota go buy one!!!! Jeep Wrangle aint it!!!:rock:

Sponsored

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I guess what I was trying to say is that I think there may be other hidden factors to the Wrangler's abysmal MPGs. Yes it has the aerodynamics of a brick, but that's just one factor, when the RAM has a bed that creates extra turbulence and is much heavier to boot.

I may just be dreaming, but I think FCA might be able to crack the 25 highway mpg mark this round.

Raysrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Charger
*Switchback concept half doors with cutouts may be an option (dont know if that was from Manley giving hints or just the author's guess)
*Might release info on electric/hybrid plans later this year.. for JL's lifetime?
*Weight reduction.. im hoping some of that comes off the top.
Sponsored