Manistee Forest

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Hi! I'm trying to get some ideas for a first trail and one area I have in mind is the Manistee Forest area. There's supposedly some forest roads and trails you can drive around and camp out at.

Being that I will be alone and I'm normally pretty cautious, how likely is it for somebody to be around if you get stuck? I do have a winch, but the mounting plate is on backorder for who knows how long. Thanks!
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I've never gone boondocking there, but I was in that area a couple of years ago. There is NO cell phone service. If you air down to 12 psi or so you will be fine on the sandy two track roads. Bring plenty of water.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you are on Facebook, look up Michigan Overland. There are many members that wheel the Manistee Forest area often. I have wheeled it before, just a couple months ago in the winter. I am not super familiar with it though. I was following trails from Gaia.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
X2 on the Michigan Overland page. They are on MeWe as well if you don’t do Facebook.

I plan to get that way again to try some trails this time but it might not happen this year. If you are on Gaia and it’s not snowmobile season, you’ll have plenty of options up there. It’s a beautiful area. I’d ask about the flying biting bugs and when the best time to come is. What repellent to use as well.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
X2 on the Michigan Overland page. They are on MeWe as well if you don’t do Facebook.

I plan to get that way again to try some trails this time but it might not happen this year. If you are on Gaia and it’s not snowmobile season, you’ll have plenty of options up there. It’s a beautiful area. I’d ask about the flying biting bugs and when the best time to come is. What repellent to use as well.
Bug repellant is easy. Use vanilla extract. If yo put vanilla extract on exposed skin, they will leave you completely alone. Learned this while doing the Shore to Shore 12 day horse back ride.

We never carry regular bug spray anymore.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Bug repellant is easy. Use vanilla extract. If yo put vanilla extract on exposed skin, they will leave you completely alone. Learned this while doing the Shore to Shore 12 day horse back ride.

We never carry regular bug spray anymore.
I’m making a note of that. I wonder about some of these products. Seems the extract would be safer. Thanks!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I’m making a note of that. I wonder about some of these products. Seems the extract would be safer. Thanks!
The down side is it is not water proof so you may have to apply it a little more often. The upside is you will smell like a fresh baked cookie.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are on Facebook, look up Michigan Overland. There are many members that wheel the Manistee Forest area often. I have wheeled it before, just a couple months ago in the winter. I am not super familiar with it though. I was following trails from Gaia.
Thanks for the tip! I'm not on fb or mewe (?), but my wife is on it so I'll have her reach out to them. Thanks!!

Ish22

First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright White
I was following trails from Gaia.
I find it difficult to search for trails on Gaia. Do you mind posting some names of moderate trails I can look up on Gaia? I found the Tin Cup Springs ORV loop, any others like that would be helpful.. Thanks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I find it difficult to search for trails on Gaia. Do you mind posting some names of moderate trails I can look up on Gaia? I found the Tin Cup Springs ORV loop, any others like that would be helpful.. Thanks.
So what I do is look for an area, that I want to explore with Gaia, then I choose map layers that show me what I want to see. 95% of the trails in Michigan are forest roads, and trails. I have wheeled a lot of Michigan and the trails are all pretty easy. Most are sand and there is very little real rock climbing and very little mud. Not saying you can't find it, but it is not the norm.

What map layer are you using to find trails?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
This is what I see when I look for trails to explore in Gaia for the Nanistee Forest.
Jeep Wrangler JL Manistee Forest Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 2.49.10 PM

Ish22

First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright White
So what I do is look for an area, that I want to explore with Gaia, then I choose map layers that show me what I want to see. 95% of the trails in Michigan are forest roads, and trails. I have wheeled a lot of Michigan and the trails are all pretty easy. Most are sand and there is very little real rock climbing and very little mud. Not saying you can't find it, but it is not the norm.

What map layer are you using to find trails?
Gotcha. Thank you for the screen shot, that helped out a lot. I haven't done the paid subscription with the added layers. But when I do I see that ill have to filter it to Public roads and USFS. Thank You!

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
You should be good in that area, some of the trail that are on hills get some pretty big wash outs, we ran into a few that could not get around and had to back out and turn around.
Carry a small chain saw to cut trees across the path if it has been windy.
I have a battery Stihl chainsaw that can cut a 18" log in 2 passes, anything bigger and I am turning around.
Great area.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
did the Op ever make the trip?

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did the Op ever make the trip?
The OP never made the trip. He did go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes though and had a great time. :)

I did end up doing more research than I probably should had though on it and have some great ideas of where to go and where to stay. I have a trip planned to the UP (via Wisconsin) in about two weeks for the weekend. After that, depending on the weather and dogsitter, maybe head over to Manistee.

I haven't given up yet on it, just had to delay it.
Sponsored