Sponsored

Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Stingray
Hello all this is my first post and I wanted to share with you some tech info I learned while trying to add a Mopar sunvisor with homelink. First off, I have a JLU sport with lighted vanity mirrors. After looking at pictures I determined that both my visors and the Homelink visor had the same three wire connector. My stock visors only used two wires but there were three going into the connector on the vehicle side. I sourced a visor from a junkyard for only $60, plugged it in, and nothing.... After researching and studying electrical diagrams I found that the gray homelink power wire is fed directly from the BCM so without a reflash there was no power coming through that wire even with the engine running. I have the aux switch group from the factory so that made the next steps easier. I went into the passenger kick panel and unpinned the gray homelink power wire from the BCM connector, then wired up a pin from an old connector I had to the ignition switched wire under the passenger dash that came with the power group and connected the two together. I could have easily just cut the wire and spliced it directly to the power but this extra step allows me to re-insert the pin in to the BCM connector and return everything to stock if need be. After wiring everything up the Homelink buttons light up when I turn the ignition on. I could have easily spliced into the power for the LED vanity lights but I like the idea of the homelink being disabled with the ignition off. So there you have it. It is fairly easy to add factory Homelink to your JL, but it is more than just plug and play.
Sponsored

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Great Post! By any chance do you have pictures of the BCM location, wires, splices and pins removal? I have the Aux Power switches also - and was going to order Mopar # 6BR80TX7AL visor/homelink

Last edited:
OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not think to take pics while doing it because I was in problem solving mode and went into the situation hoping it would be just plug and play. These are the pics of the connector, the wire that I de-pinned out of the connector and the green jumper wire I made to connect to the switched power wire under the dash. The wire that I unpinned looks kind of orange in the picture but I think that was just where the harness was taped up is cause some discoloration. If you check the connector on the visor end there are three wires, one hot all the time, one ground and one that has no power. The yellow wire is hot all the time and the middle wire is the ground. The third wire is the one in question and it is the only wire that color connected to the BCM in that connector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_5229
Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_5257
Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_5258
Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_5254

IMG_5229.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks, this helps a lot!

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
"I did not think to take pics while doing it because I was in problem solving mode and went into the situation hoping it would be just plug and play. These are the pics of the connector, the wire that I de-pinned out of the connector and the green jumper wire I made to connect to the switched power wire under the dash. The wire that I unpinned looks kind of orange in the picture but I think that was just where the harness was taped up is cause some discoloration."

Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_0715

Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_0718

Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_0721

Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport IMG_0723

Sponsored

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
OK found the gray wire - Disconnected the harness from the kick panel BCM.
What did you use to unpin the wire, I have a depinning extraction tool and I cannot get it to budge.

OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I generally use pick tools to unpin connectors. Since I was at work (work at a shop, but not as a tech) I borrowed this tool specifically to do it. But I think almost any straight pick you can find in a set would work.

IMG_5304.jpg

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks!
Is there a special technique to remove the pin with the tool? because I'm not having any luck

OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Managed to add Homelink to my JL sport 1593012737587

I usually push in on the wire side to help relieve tension on the retainer. Other than that you gotta hold your mouth just right. Sorry i can't be more descriptive. Good Luck!

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Gave up on unpinning - going to use solder-less connectors, don't even have the homelink visor yet I was trying to have the prep work in place before it gets here tomorrow.
However after calling it a day, with no alterations - I'm having a strange phenomenon - after I reinserted the plug into the BCM - I turned on my Jeep and I have no power to any accessory (Radio, A/C, DRL, Cabin Lights, Side Warning Detectors...) Don't know what happened. Its like my Jeep is decided to go "blackout." I can drive it however do not have control over any accessories, any ideas? not sure where this went south. Never a dull moment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didnt have any of that happen to me. Did you try to power on the Jeep with the connector unplugged any? Maybe disconnecting the batteries can reset it all.

Zyaal8r

First Name
zyaal8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Took the Jeep to the dealer today, apparently the BCM plug was loose.
All good now - going to continue the install when the Mopar visor w/Homelink arrives. Fingers crossed

OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took the Jeep to the dealer today, apparently the BCM plug was loose.
All good now - going to continue the install when the Mopar visor w/Homelink arrives. Fingers crossed
I would strongly suggest cutting the gray wire if youre not able to get it depinned fromthe connector. I dont think it would be a good idea to sent 12 volts to the BCM through that wire when you connect the power wire from your aux.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all this is my first post and I wanted to share with you some tech info I learned while trying to add a Mopar sunvisor with homelink. First off, I have a JLU sport with lighted vanity mirrors. After looking at pictures I determined that both my visors and the Homelink visor had the same three wire connector. My stock visors only used two wires but there were three going into the connector on the vehicle side. I sourced a visor from a junkyard for only $60, plugged it in, and nothing.... After researching and studying electrical diagrams I found that the gray homelink power wire is fed directly from the BCM so without a reflash there was no power coming through that wire even with the engine running. I have the aux switch group from the factory so that made the next steps easier. I went into the passenger kick panel and unpinned the gray homelink power wire from the BCM connector, then wired up a pin from an old connector I had to the ignition switched wire under the passenger dash that came with the power group and connected the two together. I could have easily just cut the wire and spliced it directly to the power but this extra step allows me to re-insert the pin in to the BCM connector and return everything to stock if need be. After wiring everything up the Homelink buttons light up when I turn the ignition on. I could have easily spliced into the power for the LED vanity lights but I like the idea of the homelink being disabled with the ignition off. So there you have it. It is fairly easy to add factory Homelink to your JL, but it is more than just plug and play.
So you are saying if you power from vanity lights on visor the homelink would work? thats all it takes? thanks for write up.

OP
OP

rollcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you are saying if you power from vanity lights on visor the homelink would work? thats all it takes? thanks for write up.
The homelink visor has two power wires and a ground. The one for the vanity mirror is hot all the time. The one for homelink is fed from the BCM and only hot with ignition on when programmed presumably for top off security. You can splice the power for the vanity lights into the homelink and it wil work, but the homelink will be operable at all times. If you have a hard top and keep your doors locked this wouldn't be an issue but I have a soft top and often park topless and doorless outside my garage so i wanted it to power down when I wasnt in the Jeep. Also see my previous thoughts about sending 12V to the BCM through that wire. I dont think it would be a good idea so my suggestion would be to isolate that circuit from the BCM.
Sponsored