Man, I really love my new Jeep

Lugwrench

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2-door Rubicon, modified
I bought a diesel Rubicon two months ago, and I've really enjoyed driving it. My previous rig was a 2-door JK Rubicon with manual transmission. It had a lift and 35's. The new JL (still stock) drives so much better that it is hard to compare. The improvement comes from many factors: longer wheelbase, no suspension mods yet, and general improvements of the JL over the JK.

The diesel, however, is the most satisfying upgrade. It climbs big hills at 1800 rpm without it seeming to notice. Acceleration is there when I want it--effortlessly. It isn't loud, but it sounds right. I am so happy I opted for this engine!

Then I took a road trip. I just returned from more that 2000 miles touring Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California. I kept careful records at each fuel stop and I was able to calculate the overall MPG for the trip at 26.6. That's more than the EPA highway estimate. On one tank I got over 30. I did highway miles, two lane back roads, national park roads, and one day off-road. 26.6! 🥰
Sponsored

Attachments

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
The 3.0L and 8 speed Auto is a pretty sweet combo! I mean if it came in a 2 door manual I'd be screaming "TAKE MY MONEY!" But even as a 4 door auto, I have very few complaints. I don't envision myself buying another spark ignition Jeep ever....

^^^That might be a little bit of an exaggeration, I might buy another TJ at some point just for the tub, but besides that, no way. Compression-Ignition is the way to go ;)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, 70% more torque is noticeable. Putting the peak of that torque at 1,600 RPM makes it even more noticeable.

Time will tell if these engines can be reliable beyond powertrain warranty, but for the first 100,000 miles there is absolutely no question that this is the engine option to go with.

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
Put a banks pedal monster on it and you’ll enjoy it even more.

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Your take on the Diesel JL reflects my view of it too.

I've owned 20 off-road Jeeps starting with an in-line 6 cylinder CJ in 1980. The worst one, a YJ, literally spent 1/2 the time in the shop. But, the quality of this JL has been outstanding. It's been 100% trouble-free. And, it achieves 33 MPG out on the trail.

Due to the increased clearance on the Diesel JL, I've been able to fit 35" inch BFG KO2 tires, with no lift.

Seriously, I feel like I no longer have to put up with poor-performing vehicles to own a Jeep.

Hunter

Cougstogo

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
I am loving the diesel 3.0 as well. Feels great at the low rpm's but it response when you step on the throttle. I have driven diesels for years so I understand you have wait for them to warm up but the 3.0 warms up quickly and its ready to go.