Sponsored

Mammoth Boulder 17x9's for my Sport. Which tire size?

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I just purchased a 2018 Wrangler JL Sport.

Looking a replacing my stock wheels with Mammoth Boulder 17x9's.

Trying to decide on what size tire to go with. Any recommendations?

I was about to purchase 305/70's, however decided to ask the group first to make sure I make the correct purchases.

My previous TJ had BFG Mud Terrains 265/75 R16's on Rubi wheels with a 2"BB and loved the way it looked.

Looking for something similar with the JL. Not too aggressive, looks great, and off-road capable when needed.

Thanks
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I just purchased a 2018 Wrangler JL Sport.

Looking a replacing my stock wheels with Mammoth Boulder 17x9's.

Trying to decide on what size tire to go with. Any recommendations?

I was about to purchase 305/70's, however decided to ask the group first to make sure I make the correct purchases.

My previous TJ had BFG Mud Terrains 265/75 R16's on Rubi wheels with a 2"BB and loved the way it looked.

Looking for something similar with the JL. Not too aggressive, looks great, and off-road capable when needed.

Thanks
Lift or no lift?
Given you are in South Florida you will want a tire that does well in the rain. I have had Toyo Open Country AT2s, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s and now BF Goodrich KO2s. All have handled the wet Florida roads quite well. You could go with a number of different size tire options such as what you mentioned as well as 285/70/17, 285/75/17, and 290/70/17. I would also consider the weight of the tire as well as the load rating.

MotoMax

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Grandcherokee
Occupation
Do nothing bum Retired
Well if your intent is to run 9" wheels I would consider 35 x 12.50's. You'll need a little lift on the Sport though. And your 3.45 gearing is questionable for such a tall tire. 285's would be smarter with the stock gears though.
As far as tire brand goes I do like these KO2's that came on our Rubicon because they are surprisingly quiet on the road.
I only put KO2's in 315's Load range "C" on ours cause I'm staying with the stock Rubicon 7.5" wheels which really are a tad to narrow for these larger tires. But still work well for the Rubicon 4.10 gears.

Why does there always seem to be some kind of sacrifice when modifying vehicles!?!?

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I ended up going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70/17 on a Mammoth Boulder 17x9 wheel.
I'll post pics when the tires arrive.

Thanks
Sponsored