Sponsored

Mall-crawler, poser, or enthusiast?

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I am with you, OP. I take my Jeep off-road, but I have no desire to explore the limits of its capabilities any more. My JL is just too nice —and too expensive— to want to bash the crap out of it like I did with past Jeeps.

Over the years, Jeep has cultivated an image for fun, freedom and adventure, individual ruggedness and simplicity that resonates in today’s world of complexity, non-stop connectivity. We crave to disconnect and escape from the daily grind.

Many are willing to pay $50,000 or $60,000 for a vehicle with removable fenders, solid axles, coil springs and a manual transfer case precisely because they want a piece of that fun image, and that heritage for freedom and adventure.

Here are some ads Jeep used over the years to create an image that would, inadvertently, become highly sought-after decades later.
3aa2c118628531b292d5738d8fc9b7ff.jpg

1604178422884.png

1604178101129.jpeg

1604178525013.jpeg

1604178588106.jpeg

1604178770139.jpeg

1604178804408.jpeg
Love the pics!
Sponsored

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I bought a Jeep because I've wanted one for some time and things finally came together to make it happen. No intention for any serious off roading.

Used to ride the Harley with friends on weekends, but many have sold their bikes or moved, so we don't have anyone living close to ride with anymore, and any decent cruising ride areas are a good 45 minutes + through heavy traffic to get to. I convinced the wife with the top and doors off we can cruise down to the beach in the morning for some breakfast and a nice ride and it's safer and more comfortable than the bike.

My jeep also aids in getting around after a storm. After Irma, the route to my mom's was flooded and blocked by debris that my old Ford Edge couldn't get through.

That and when I go to hockey games here, the parking attendants let me park over the curb in the swale with all the other 4x4's right at the entrance, making for quick escape afterward. :p
My Harley/Jeep story is similar to yours. Many of the crew sold their bikes or moved, so now we are Jeepers. Safer...and definitely more comfortable.
The other night I had a dream that we planned to ride to San Francisco, we live in Cali. about 7 hours away from S.F.. In my dream, right before we pulled out, it was raining. My wife & I looked at each other and asked...why? Let's take the Jeep I said. HD was a fun season, but now we are Jeepers and are lovin it.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Best post strand I've seen in a long time. Totally positive and uplifting in a time of craziness and uncertainty. Thanks to everyone that posted and especially to those with the great pictures. They evoke memories long forgotten...

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
The only thing that matters, really, is if your smile gets bigger when you step into your Jeep and settle down into your seat.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I broke more parts and got more flat tires wheeling my CJ-5 than all my other vehicles combined. Today I still daily drive my TJ...but I am spoiled and love my JL Rubicon. It’s certainly more capable but experience keeps me out of trouble. I wish that I still had my CJ-5 but I am content with my two Jeeps. Rubicon has had several epic adventures though without the risk I had when I was young.
I too love all the Jeeps...mall crawler today...can easily come to your off road rescue tomorrow. My CJ did a lot of beach roaming in Pisa Italy. Worst stuck I ever had ......there were waves of ocean coming into the passenger side of the Jeep. That one took a bull dozer to extract me from the wet sand..... I won’t be doing that with my Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Mall-crawler, poser, or enthusiast? AEC87DAC-94A8-44E3-A92B-E722188334A5

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I broke more parts and got more flat tires wheeling my CJ-5 than all my other vehicles combined. Today I still daily drive my TJ...but I am spoiled and love my JL Rubicon. It’s certainly more capable but experience keeps me out of trouble. I wish that I still had my CJ-5 but I am content with my two Jeeps. Rubicon has had several epic adventures though without the risk I had when I was young.
I too love all the Jeeps...mall crawler today...can easily come to your off road rescue tomorrow. My CJ did a lot of beach roaming in Pisa Italy. Worst stuck I ever had ......there were waves of ocean coming into the passenger side of the Jeep. That one took a bull dozer to extract me from the wet sand..... I won’t be doing that with my Rubicon
AEC87DAC-94A8-44E3-A92B-E722188334A5.jpeg
Great story. I almost had the same thing happen to me in 1977, about two months after I bought my first jeep. I drove to the east coast to visit a friend whose parents lived on Nantucket (back when you didn't have to be a billionaire to live there.) I aired down for the long beach drive to Great Point, but I let too much air out of one of the tires and rolled the tire off in the sand with the tide coming in. With the help of another jeep, some driftwood, and a bunch of drunk teens, we managed to dig out the wheel, swap the spare, and yank the jeep out before the tide swallowed it. The water was only a few feet from the jeep when we pulled it out, and the hole we dug to clear the spare was starting to fill with water. Man, I did a lot of stupid stuff...

We immediately found a spot high up on the beach, built a fire, and drank the rest of the beer. Problem solved.

I sure miss my CJ5s... The last one I bought was black in 1980 -- a brand new CJ 5 with the 304 V8. Sounded cool, especially with new exhaust, but it was a dog and it was heavy. That one was a bargain when I bought it. As it turns out, it was a bargain because everybody else knew better than to buy that V-8. The way AMC had that motor set up it was really weak. I think the Six actually made more power... So I lost my ass on that one when I sold it. I'd still give my eye teeth to have it back. I sold it because I missed the extra room of the CJ7, which had ample space to carry scuba tanks securely behind the rear seat.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Like folks have said, different stroke for different folks. While we’re at it let’s give a big thumbs up to the folks who take their basically stock Jeep and actually use them as designed👍. These guys are incredibly capable right out of the box and we are lucky to have them available to us.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Just one thing to remember while driving your high dollar shopping carts....
These recent Jeeps did not come this far...adding locking differentials, sway bar disconnects, and the 4:1 transfer case. It was because of the folks who drive them hard....and provided a need.

I remember in the late 90's at Easter Jeep Safari......the engineering team was making a list of improvements based on input from the attendees........Now Ford will help. Thank you for the Bronco!
Sponsored