Sponsored

Making the most out of this 17kw battery and inverter.

djaestus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 JKU, 4xe Rubicon (ordered)
Wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts were on utilizing this 17kw battery and inverter for power outages and camping. In the past two years we have experienced both power outages in the winter and gas shortages due to a hurricane. Feels like the 4xe could provide some temporary help for many situations.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts were on utilizing this 17kw battery and inverter for power outages and camping. In the past two years we have experienced both power outages in the winter and gas shortages due to a hurricane. Feels like the 4xe could provide some temporary help for many situations.
Think it would be great if they develop a system that allows it. When TFL was interviewing the head designer for the 4xe he implied that it may be something they are looking into. Keep in mind that the battery pack is 400 volts so you would have to have some way to drop it down to a reasonable voltage for an inverter. I know of 48 volt inverters but not sure of higher than that.

Also I know that it void Toyota's battery warranty if you try and run your house off a Prius. It does seem like a pretty easy thing to do though and would fit perfectly with the outdoors lifestyle Jeep is selling. Even using 5 kw's of energy is a ton for normal camping, especially if you are not trying to use a air conditioner. I know I would love it for fishing. Easy to recharge my trolling motor batteries without having to listen to a generator.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda eu2200 generators are very very quiet. they last many years.

damaging batteries 1 time would pay for about 7 of those generators.
I have built a couple of "solar generators" . Basically just lithium ion batteries and a inverter that you can recharge with solar panels for camping. My current one has about 1.7 kw's of batteries and will do most anything I need it to do. Throw a couple of 100 watt panels and I never come close to running out of power camping.

If the system were properly set up you would basically have zero chance of ruining your batteries. A 17 kw battery pack is huge and even if you had a 2000 watt inverter going full bore you would not come close to affecting the batteries if your inverter was set up properly.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
yeah i would like to run everything from solar as well.
problem is the environment. only 50-60% of electric vehicle batteries are being recycled. they are "hoping" that by 2025 we will be recycling 75% of them rather than going into landfills.

China does not even have an official policy concerning EV battery recycling. They are currently piling up as junk there.

all other lithium ion batteries (phones, etc) are only being recycled at 50%

as a comparison, lead-acid standard batteries are recycled at 99%

i can't even find numbers about recycling non-working solar panels.

i'm more concerned about our water supplies and farming (food supply)being affected by all the stuff from these batteries... than being concerned about the "climate crisis"

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
honda eu2200 generators are very very quiet. they last many years.

damaging batteries 1 time would pay for about 7 of those generators.
That eu 2000 on eco mode is so quiet that you can basically stand over it and have a normal conversation with someone. I used it during a hurricane to run the fridge, recharge batteries, run fans, lamps, etc. I also bought the jumper clips and have jump started cars and riding mowers.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I was not trying to make a political statement. Only that the 17 kw battery in the 4xe would be great for camping. Lets face it lead acid batteries can't do most of what the new lithium ion batteries can do and they are not going away. I am actually getting ready to lose my job in a couple years, partially because of the new batteries and solar panels, so it is kind of a love hate thing for me.

Yes a Honda generator is great but many places I go you are not allowed to run them at certain times. Also it would be much easier to just plug into the Jeep than to have to lug the generator around.

OP
OP

djaestus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 JKU, 4xe Rubicon (ordered)
Since it doesn’t seem like we will have any direct access to the 17kw battery, I am assuming all DC power will need to come from the DC power ports and the 150W AC outlet. If you were to use those DC ports and connect a couple of 800 - 1,000W inverters you could power a fridge and maybe a small heater or AC unit (<750W depending on time of year). Any ideas how the power is routed? I would guess the 400V big battery would feed the engine battery and 12V ports...but nothing to back that up.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since it doesn’t seem like we will have any direct access to the 17kw battery, I am assuming all DC power will need to come from the DC power ports and the 150W AC outlet. If you were to use those DC ports and connect a couple of 800 - 1,000W inverters you could power a fridge and maybe a small heater or AC unit (<750W depending on time of year). Any ideas how the power is routed? I would guess the 400V big battery would feed the engine battery and 12V ports...but nothing to back that up.
With a 12 volt system you would need very large cables to run a 1000 watt inverter. You would be running north of 80 amps. Your best best would be to hook up directly to the 12 volt battery. Problem with that is the lead acid starting batteries in cars are not designed to put out large loads for any length of time . Now if the 400 volt battery was feeding it fast enough your battery that it cold keep it from discharging, like when you are running your engine with an alternator, you may have a chance.

My guess is trying to run that large of load through the 12 volt side would damage the system. Lead acid batteries can't discharge at as high of rates and they hate to be discharged deeply.

I think our best hope is if jeep comes out with an inverter that hooks up to the 17 kw battery that we can somehow add it at a later date. It should be a fairly easy thing for them to do an would be perfect for the Jeep "lifestyle"

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
yeah i would like to run everything from solar as well.
problem is the environment. only 50-60% of electric vehicle batteries are being recycled. they are "hoping" that by 2025 we will be recycling 75% of them rather than going into landfills.

China does not even have an official policy concerning EV battery recycling. They are currently piling up as junk there.

all other lithium ion batteries (phones, etc) are only being recycled at 50%

as a comparison, lead-acid standard batteries are recycled at 99%

i can't even find numbers about recycling non-working solar panels.

i'm more concerned about our water supplies and farming (food supply)being affected by all the stuff from these batteries... than being concerned about the "climate crisis"
If the Chinese can't recycle these batteries now, it is going to be really tough to do. It is one of the last developed places on earth where the government will look the other way and ignore environmental and worker safety concerns as long as someone is making money.

Sponsored

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
That eu 2000 on eco mode is so quiet that you can basically stand over it and have a normal conversation with someone. I used it during a hurricane to run the fridge, recharge batteries, run fans, lamps, etc. I also bought the jumper clips and have jump started cars and riding mowers.
I have a eu 2000i and absolutely love it. Extremely quiet for a generator.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
This guy is already doing it. He’s running a 1,500 watt inverter wired straight to the 12 volt battery. As the LVB is drawn down, it is charged back up by the 17kWh HVB. So, it’s doable now, with his workaround for the 30-minute shut-off issue. Just a matter of time before we have a more elegant aftermarket solution:

Sponsored