Sponsored

Making My Own Jeep Hardtop Lift Today

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@PunknPi Wish you were my friggin neighbor. That lift is slick as baby chiitt. Bravo!
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
WOW!!! Hats off to the Engineer! Awesome! You going to sell those?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Here it is. It works.. and it works well. A few notes:

-It does not tip! not even close. I imagine it would take near another 250lbs to upset the cantilever. ( jist a little haha to the naysayers)

-I need to remake the locking arms. When in the up position, it is only about 4 inches above frame... Id like higher, maybe to 8"

-I used shaft collars on the tg&p handles... this is a temp solution. I am going to end up tacking them in place

I will post better pictures this week. It's getting ready to rain and I had to put it back on. Also, even though I lifted it with ease I have yet to mount the rubber on top to stop it from sliding.

hoist.jpeg
Ed, a moment ago I wrote about how you, with a flat device's interface with a non flat inner roof, dealt with this.

Now I get it. You're not going into these symmetrical interior roof elevations at all in the back driver's side and passenger's side.

But, and I may be entirely off here, aren't you only connecting with the interior roof of the hard top in these 3 relatively small surface areas marked in yellow?

IMG_2409[1].jpg

Maybe, if I'm even correct, that's fine. But contrast this, so nobody can say I'm pushing the Freedom Jack, with the Top Lift Pro, which interfaces with the symmetrical elevations, again circled in yellow.

test2.png

My concerns lie not so much with balance and stability but --if I'm correct--the pounds per square inch you *may* be putting on the roof interior in the prior picture's yellow areas.

Again, maybe I am missing something. I'm not trying to poke holes in your Herculean effort, just trying to understand or improve product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PunknPi

PunknPi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito 2.0
Ed, a moment ago I wrote about how you, with a flat device's interface with a non flat inner roof, dealt with this.

Now I get it. You're not going into these symmetrical interior roof elevations at all in the back driver's side and passenger's side.

But, and I may be entirely off here, aren't you only connecting with the interior roof of the hard top in these 3 relatively small surface areas marked in yellow?

IMG_2409[1].jpg

Maybe, if I'm even correct, that's fine. But contrast this, so nobody can say I'm pushing the Freedom Jack, with the Top Lift Pro, which interfaces with the symmetrical elevations, again circled in yellow.

test2.png

My concerns lie not so much with balance and stability but --if I'm correct--the pounds per square inch you *may* be putting on the roof interior in the prior picture's yellow areas.

Again, maybe I am missing something. I'm not trying to poke holes in your Herculean effort, just trying to understand or improve product.
You're correct. Those are the only contact points -right now-

I planned on adding delron or some other rubber bumper to make up the gaps in a couple places near the rear window, but after using the machine I see no reason. It is pretty darn stable as-is.

I'm always looking for improvement. I already see many way I could make this lighter/cheaper/better and that's the beauty of design. I love r&d. I may pump out a better product here in July when I get bored.

Sponsored

Jdegid

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL unlimited
Awesome job !
Donā€™t forget to add adjustability for us with lifted jeeps

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome work!

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Question, Are you comfortable with its tipping characteristics even with some accidental nudging from an external source, such as yourself or someone else in the home? I believe you when you say it's not tip-prone. But man, I look at that picture and think "it wouldn't take much of a nudge."

I do admire your ingenuity and engineering skills.

OP
OP
PunknPi

PunknPi

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito 2.0
Question, Are you comfortable with its tipping characteristics even with some accidental nudging from an external source, such as yourself or someone else in the home? I believe you when you say it's not tip-prone. But man, I look at that picture and think "it wouldn't take much of a nudge."

I do admire your ingenuity and engineering skills.
As much as I am comfortable with the cantilever and it tipping, today was a rather windy day. I had not considered it. I am making an adapter tomorrow to extend the front wheel 12". Considering it wont get in the way of anything I now see no reason to keep it compact.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
As much as I am comfortable with the cantilever and it tipping, today was a rather windy day. I had not considered it. I am making an adapter tomorrow to extend the front wheel 12". Considering it wont get in the way of anything I now see no reason to keep it compact.
Yup, that was my thought too. Just for a little peace-of-mind. :) Wind didn't cross my mind either, but that's a good one.

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I wish I was as smart as you are :( my accomplishment so far are building IKEA furniture. I think I'm doing well in life though.

Def subscribing & a buyer when/if you make extras!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I wont be trying to sell them for profit, but after I get it perfected I may make a few more for locals. I see you're in tex, I should be moving to Houston next spring and Ill have a few to bring for my new friends in the south
Yayyy!!! I tell you what...if you move down here, I'm definitely in the market to purchase one... I'll PM you my contact information.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yayyy!!! I tell you what...if you move down here, I'm definitely in the market to purchase one... I'll PM you my contact information.
If you have a garage, there's a lot simpler and cheaper solutions that you can do yourself.

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
That is one bad a** DIY. Clearly, I need to find some friends that are into engineering and manufacturing!!!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I wont be trying to sell them for profit, but after I get it perfected I may make a few more for locals. I see you're in tex, I should be moving to Houston next spring and Ill have a few to bring for my new friends in the south
Ed, Iā€™m in the Houston area. Iā€™ll be your friend. :like:

But seriously, your engineering and fabrication skills are top notch. Kudos to you sir. And I like how your always looking for ways to improve it. If/when you get here Iā€™m 100% interested in having one of these. Iā€™d also insist on compensating you for your time, effort, materials, and kindness for developing this and sharing it with others. You may not be interested in going into businesses making this product, but I donā€™t expect it to be free. Iā€™m also willing to assist with an extra pair of hands or ability to make beer runs to keep you hydrated while you work. ;)
Sponsored