Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I recently replaced my Maximus-3 tire carrier for the Cavfab tire carrier. The Maximus-3 is a fine carrier but there are just too many moving parts for my liking. The problem is my Maximus-3 hi-lift jack mount doesn't work with Cavfab and Cavfab doesn't have a jack mount that I am aware of yet. There are aspects of the Maximus-3 jack mount that I like so I decided to design one using QCAD. Here is what I have so far:

Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier hiLiftMountAllLayers

I've attached a zip file containing the .dxf files and a pdf as well if you're interested.

Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9234.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9236.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9237.JPG

I probably could have moved it about 1/2" closer to the tail light and about 1/4" higher.
Here is the top part of the old Maximus-3 mount that I am going to use with it:

Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9238.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Nicely done. What are your material specs?

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nicely done. What are your material specs?
I’m just going to email it to the local fab shop and have them cut it out on a water jet cnc using 3/16 mild steel. Then off to have it powder coated.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Updated the first post with a new jpg and new zip. Zip contains: hiLiftMountAllLayers.dxf, hiLiftMountAllLayers.pdf, and hiLiftMountMainLayer.dxf

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Got a little further but I find this one is too close to the tire. I’m going to move it to the right .78”. Another issue I am having is the jack base needs to be pushed outward about 1/2” in order for the jack to sit parallel with the jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier F73B5355-1839-4722-93C1-18F02E6339F1

I’ll update the plans in the first post when I finish the changes

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Updated plans have been added to the first post. See hiLiftMountDesignV3.zip

Here are the changes I made:

• Needed to move the mount .87” further away from my spare tire. This moves it to about 1/8" away from the tail light when the tailgate is fully open.
  • The base of the jack needed to be moved 1” further out in order for it to sit parallel to my jeep. (Well at least the handle is parallel to the jeep now)
  • Removed the curled toe in favor of just bolting the toe down. One less bend.
  • Some of the holes were expanded enough to take a paint layer. They were too tight.
Edit: V4 is available on the first post. It pushes the jack base back 5/16"

Last edited:
OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just need to get it powder coated now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9299.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9298.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9297.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9296.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9295.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Making my own hi-lift jack mount for my Cavfab tire carrier IMG_9293.JPG

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Killer idea!! I wonder if the CavFab guys would incorporate your idea into production?!?

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Killer idea!! I wonder if the CavFab guys would incorporate your idea into production?!?
They are certainly welcome to use what I have. I think if I lowered it down an inch, I could then move it even closer to the tail light. That way a 37” tire would fit. A 37” tire might fit with it the way it is now.

it’s been at the powdercoat place now for two weeks. :mad:

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
That's no bueno!! I plan on buying the CavFab spare bracket as well as some bumpers and will have them powder coated, hopefully they won't get held up like yours has!