Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I was talking to your wife.
And what did I tell you about talking to your Mother like that? Sit down and shut up son.…. FWIW: I told her to swallow. I had a bad feeling about you. :LOL:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
And what did I tell you about talking to your Mother like that? Sit down and shut up son.…. FWIW: I told her to swallow. I had a bad feeling about you. :LOL:
I like the implication that I’m a complete idiot, but also your offspring. At least you know your genetic material is most likely going to end up with sub par results. Not to mention that you yourself are completely controlled by a woman and a slave to her desires and actions. I do appreciate a nice kamikaze by words however.

Let me guess. Next insult is you call me a poo poo doody head?

JesseT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe
That’s the wrong par number btw. That’s an old number. All you had do was go on mopar parts direct and look it up. Try posting links next time

When you modified 68456763AA what was the part you removed ?
An old part number? I thought you said year didn't matter.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This and so many other things are based off of a lot of maybe's. Yes someone can steel your door with the top off. You can also walk outside to get the mail and get hit by a car. Are you going to build a full barrier around you and your mailbox on the small chance it happens. I run with doors and top off all summer long. I'm careful where I park, and how long I'm in the store. I know shit can be stolen, but I'm not trying to put a Star Trek force field around the Jeep either. Also, if you have not way to unlock the doors from the inside, what are you going to do in the case of an emergency, and you need to exit the Jeep in a hurry? Seriously, if we lived our lives based off of all the little what-if situations that can happen we would all be in a plastic bubble. Thefts, accidents and bad crap happening sucks, but it's part of life. We do our best to prevent things, but if it's going to happen we can't stop it. I don't wear rubber gloves and boots to plug in a light, but based off what you are asking and your attitude I should.

OP
OP

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
Fair on half door/full door but even if the how is the same, the why is a little different between them. Front door/rear door though? Feel free to double check me on this, but the handle doesn't unlock the rear doors the way it does the front doors, and the rear doors don't have keyholes. They also have child locks. *If* you have rear doors (because now it occurs to me that you also didn't specify whether you have a 2-door or a 4-door...more potentially significant information omitted) and you want to make it impossible for a would-be thief to open the door you're gonna be stuck with the rear doors perma-locked unless you add some kind of hidden cable or catch.

You'll notice I didn't ask about color, engine, or year, but my call-out was not pedantic at all. When I pull the interior handle on my door with power locks there's an electronic component to the way it unlocks. I had no way of knowing whether-or-not you were talking about that until page 3 of this thread, and that would be a different solution.

Also, you're definitely going to need to get into the latches for this, and it's a different latch between the power locks and the manual locks (parts 68456863AA/68282954AB vs. parts 68282955AB/68282958AB for the front doors...different part numbers for the rear doors, believe it or not).

Anyway, I do think that security fasteners are the obvious solution here being such a simple, effective, and elegant solution, but if you're dead set on futzing with the latches (which I do totally get, tbh) I hope you figure out how to decouple the door pull mechanism from the lock mechanism and that there's a way to do it that doesn't booger up the key's ability to unlock the door or the ability to reassemble the latch (a fair bit of stuff in there looks riveted and/or melted in place). Either way though, you're going to have to figure out some sort of hidden pull that duplicates the action of the lock cable for the rear door at least (unless you don't have rear doors or don't care).
I’ll bite. You at least looked up stuff.

Manual lock front doors only. Lets go. How do we make it so the door pull doesn’t unlock the door ? Yes. The assembly is riveted together. That’s why I wanted to see if anyone had one apart to see how the first pull of the handle unlocks it. It’s not readily apparent having it out and just looking at it. I’m assuming it’s some sort of cam that activates the unlock.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
This and so many other things are based off of a lot of maybe's. Yes someone can steel your door with the top off. You can also walk outside to get the mail and get hit by a car. Are you going to build a full barrier around you and your mailbox on the small chance it happens. I run with doors and top off all summer long. I'm careful where I park, and how long I'm in the store. I know shit can be stolen, but I'm not trying to put a Star Trek force field around the Jeep either. Also, if you have not way to unlock the doors from the inside, what are you going to do in the case of an emergency, and you need to exit the Jeep in a hurry? Seriously, if we lived our lives based off of all the little what-if situations that can happen we would all be in a plastic bubble. Thefts, accidents and bad crap happening sucks, but it's part of life. We do our best to prevent things, but if it's going to happen we can't stop it. I don't wear rubber gloves and boots to plug in a light, but based off what you are asking and your attitude I should.
“Personal I haven’t been on fire and I don’t know why you need a fire extinguisher to put out someone else on fire. I’m going to let them burn and give smug comments because no one can possibly have different life experiences than I do”

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
What you are proposing is a big PITA, when you could just install a McGard hinge bolt lock on both sides.

McGard Hinge Bolt Locks

You only need to do one hinge per side and they take less than two minutes to install. If you are really concerned that it isn't enough, you can buy multiple kits and lock every hinge bolt. This was one of the first things I did to secure my JL, and I never think about it until I swap my full/half doors out for the seasons. Far better solution than trying to fiddle with locking mechanisms, door handles, cable locks, etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.