Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
I admit to having misunderstood the original question.

I also admit to being at a bit of a loss to what appears to be the revised question:

"When the door is locked, I don't want the door latch handle to automatically unlock it."

Since there's also a lock/unlock button on the inside of the door, I don't see how this change is much better? At least, from a perspective of avoiding having the doors stolen when the top is removed?

Normally, I'd be willing to engage in a helpful back and forth to try and get to what exactly was desired, and how that meets the OPs purposes. I mean, that's what these forums are for, a helpful back and forth with a bit of entertaining banter.

....but, leading off with outrage and insults when not getting the desired responses, well, I've got better things to do.

Why bother to reply at all? Well, it's an opportunity to plug for others on the forum one of my favorite features, which is the "ignore" list.
At least someone admits they didn’t understand it.

Why are you making assumptions that I haven’t already made it so the doors don’t unlock with the regular button? Did I say I needed help making the unlock and lock button not work? No.

What was desired was very clearly stated in the original post.

I asked if anyone had disabled a shitty feature that only has appeared since 2007(?) in jeeps.

and I’m not sorry your delicate feelings were hurt when someone who asks a question is insulted and shows how stupid the comment of the person insulting them really is.

If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out. Simple as that, Francis.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
this whole assed thread.... Flat out "Twattery"

Serious question:

Can anyone make my toothbrush rinse itself while its in the holder and the faucet is off? Im F-ing done.
IMG_0558.gif

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I hope you get it figured out. It's your jeep customize it how you want.

But I have to add, America cars have unlocked and opened the door by pulling on the interior handle when the door is locked for a long,long time. Because it's common since.

If you have been driving other mfgs cars for a while, specifically Japanese cars might be why you think the way your jeep operates is something newer. It's not.

The only reason I mentioned Japanese cars is because they we're the first cars I can remember that didn't operate like like your jeep or other American cars.

Good luck with your mod.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
At least someone admits they didn’t understand it.

Why are you making assumptions that I haven’t already made it so the doors don’t unlock with the regular button? Did I say I needed help making the unlock and lock button not work? No.

What was desired was very clearly stated in the original post.

I asked if anyone had disabled a shitty feature that only has appeared since 2007(?) in jeeps.

and I’m not sorry your delicate feelings were hurt when someone who asks a question is insulted and shows how stupid the comment of the person insulting them really is.

If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out. Simple as that, Francis.
Paint your doors Barbie pink ..no one will want them.

Sponsored

JesseT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe
So, if I understand correctly your ultimate goal is to make it so that you can neither lock nor unlock your doors from the inside of the Jeep by any means short of reaching out the window and sticking your key in the exterior lock, correct?

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page and know what we're working with, I want to confirm a couple of other things, and please correct me if I'm wrong: 1) you're talking about half doors (it took until page 2 for this information to come up), and 2) you don't have electronic door locks (it took until page 3 for this to come up for some unfathomable reason even though it's definitely important background information for answering your question).

How have you modified the doors so far? It sounds like you've unhooked the lock cable, which didn't work to prevent the handle unlock. I imagine it was successful in disabling the lock toggle next to the interior handle though, correct? Anything else tried?

OP
OP

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
So, if I understand correctly your ultimate goal is to make it so that you can neither lock nor unlock your doors from the inside of the Jeep by any means short of reaching out the window and sticking your key in the exterior lock, correct?

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page and know what we're working with, I want to confirm a couple of other things, and please correct me if I'm wrong: 1) you're talking about half doors (it took until page 2 for this information to come up), and 2) you don't have electronic door locks (it took until page 3 for this to come up for some unfathomable reason even though it's definitely important background information for answering your question).

How have you modified the doors so far? It sounds like you've unhooked the lock cable, which didn't work to prevent the handle unlock. I imagine it was successful in disabling the lock toggle next to the interior handle though, correct? Anything else tried?
Correct. Key from outside will be the only way to unlock doors.

Half door/full door, front door or rear door doesn’t matter. At all. They all operate the same (I know, I’ve had them all apart).

Power lock or manual lock is irrelevant to this modification as well. So no. It’s not even remotely relevant information. You are just being pedantic now. It doesnt matter what year my JL is. Doesn’t matter what motor. Doesn’t matter what color. Because it’s irrelevant.

Yes. When you unhook the lock, it only disables the lock and unlock button. Pulling the door handle still unlocks it. Take your door apart and try it.

That’s what I’m trying to disable. How you pull the interior door handle and it unlocks the door. That’s it.

JesseT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe
Half door/full door, front door or rear door doesn’t matter. At all. They all operate the same (I know, I’ve had them all apart).
Fair on half door/full door but even if the how is the same, the why is a little different between them. Front door/rear door though? Feel free to double check me on this, but the handle doesn't unlock the rear doors the way it does the front doors, and the rear doors don't have keyholes. They also have child locks. *If* you have rear doors (because now it occurs to me that you also didn't specify whether you have a 2-door or a 4-door...more potentially significant information omitted) and you want to make it impossible for a would-be thief to open the door you're gonna be stuck with the rear doors perma-locked unless you add some kind of hidden cable or catch.

Power lock or manual lock is irrelevant to this modification as well. So no. It’s not even remotely relevant information. You are just being pedantic now. It doesnt matter what year my JL is. Doesn’t matter what motor. Doesn’t matter what color. Because it’s irrelevant.
You'll notice I didn't ask about color, engine, or year, but my call-out was not pedantic at all. When I pull the interior handle on my door with power locks there's an electronic component to the way it unlocks. I had no way of knowing whether-or-not you were talking about that until page 3 of this thread, and that would be a different solution.

Also, you're definitely going to need to get into the latches for this, and it's a different latch between the power locks and the manual locks (parts 68456863AA/68282954AB vs. parts 68282955AB/68282958AB for the front doors...different part numbers for the rear doors, believe it or not).

Anyway, I do think that security fasteners are the obvious solution here being such a simple, effective, and elegant solution, but if you're dead set on futzing with the latches (which I do totally get, tbh) I hope you figure out how to decouple the door pull mechanism from the lock mechanism and that there's a way to do it that doesn't booger up the key's ability to unlock the door or the ability to reassemble the latch (a fair bit of stuff in there looks riveted and/or melted in place). Either way though, you're going to have to figure out some sort of hidden pull that duplicates the action of the lock cable for the rear door at least (unless you don't have rear doors or don't care).

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I didn’t ask how to instal power locks. Why would I since I don’t have them.

I can remove my doors in 5 minutes. Without hurrying. By myself. If I was a thief with a partner I could have doors off in 30
Seconds with cordless drills. Have 4 of us, 30 seconds and 4 doors worth around $2000-4000.

People steal wheels off of cars which is way way way harder. More tools. Just because you don’t think it happens, doesn’t mean that it’s not real. I know of door thefts. It happens.

Naysayers need to start pming me their address so I can get me some doors just to prove a point.

What is your tip for making the pull unlock not work ?
Doors might be easier to steal, but there's a much more limited market. JL doors only fit JLs and JTs. Few people in the limited market for those doors would buy non-color matching doors, further limiting your market. Wheels and tires fit hundreds of thousands of vehicles and adapters are available to make them fit millions. It's a silly comparison at best. Could someone steal your doors? Sure. It's it really something to worry about? I don't think so.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Doors might be easier to steal, but there's a much more limited market. JL doors only fit JLs and JTs. Few people in the limited market for those doors would buy non-color matching doors, further limiting your market. Wheels and tires fit hundreds of thousands of vehicles and adapters are available to make them fit millions. It's a silly comparison at best. Could someone steal your doors? Sure. It's it really something to worry about? I don't think so.
Guy sees one grainy youtube vid of someone "stealing" their friend's TJ doors in the school parking lot and runs with it ?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I don't know... it wasn't until I started hanging out on these forums that I discovered stealing headlights is apparently a thing... :)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't know... it wasn't until I started hanging out on these forums that I discovered stealing headlights is apparently a thing... :)
I'm not sure what shit hole these people frequently leave their Jeeps in, and I'm sure freak occurrences happen, but why worry about the rare chance? Park in a well lit area and don't make it easy, but I'm not changing out fasteners on every bolt to security bits on the off chance someone wants to steal a tail light or a bumper either.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad that one of you can read and is intelligent enough to realize that other people have different life experiences than you.

How can you not understand the basic, simplest question I am asking ? It’s really.. I don’t know, almost impressive?

How could you read anything I wrote and get the idea that I just want to break the interior door handle and make it so it doesn’t have one. Any idiot could do that. Maybe even these smooth brains, who commented in here, could figure out how to break the handle so it doesn’t work, but then again they might not be able to based on the comments.

if you have no experience with modifying your vehicle and aren’t capable of doing it. Why bother commenting on my thread where all I want to do is find other people who work on their own jeeps and want to find solutions to problems? Just go eat your buggers in peace somewhere else.

Has anyone modified their doors so that the door handle pull does not do an automatic unlock ? When I had mine apart it did not look like it was going to be an easy mod with opening up the actual latch. Has anyone had one of these latches apart ?
It helps if you quote the person(s) you are bitching at or, are you bitching at everyone?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.