Sponsored

Makes NO Sense to Buy Anything other than a Rubicon

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
$5,210 savings - side steps - fuel door - lift kit to fit 33’s (or just the cost difference between the sport a/t tires and the std Rubi tires) - convenience package = ???

I would at least add the side steps and convenience package to your sport buld. You can order the rest from mopar.
Wait. Remote start is a $495 option on the Rubi, but only a $195 option (part of Convenience Group) on the Sport S?
Does that make any sense?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Wait. Remote start is a $495 option on the Rubi, but only a $195 option (part of Convenience Group) on the Sport S?
Does that make any sense?
Convenience is $195 with a manual because you can't get Remote Start with a manual. So it is a $195 home-link garage door opener. Which is standard on the Rubi.

Convenience is only $395 with auto on the Sport S, so that is a bargain because it is $100 less for Remote Start and you get a garage door opener too.

Last edited:

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
If you order the Cold Weather Group on the Sport S, the required Convenience Group only gains a Universal Garage Door Opener for $195, since the Remote Start is part of the Cold Weather Group.

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
^^ I've been stating this since post #46.

Take a Sport S, add the $1000 tech group which gets you the same infotainment group as rubi and add the $600 LSD option that gets you the D44 rear axle and all terrain tires. Those two options on the Sport S get it as close to a base Rubi as factory possible.

Now compare the price apples to apples.

JL Sport S $31,390 + $595 LSD + $995 Tech = $32,980 MSRP
JLU Sport S $34,890 +$595 LSD + $995 Tech = $36,480 MSRP
JL Rubi $38,190 MSRP
JLU Rubi $41,690 MSRP

Difference:
JL Sport S vs Rubi = $5,210
JLU Sport S vs Rubi = $5,210

All other options such as auto, tops, etc are the same price. Of course not all options are available on the Sport.

So those that are saying there is only a $2,000 to $3,000 difference are wrong. It's a least $5,000 difference after invoice pricing.
The info group for the sport doesn't come with navigation, that only comes on the Rubicon or Sahara.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
And my point of saying, "Optioned appropriate to the trim level..." means if I'm going to spend that much extra for the Rubi, I'm not going to buy one with plastic Safari bumpers or pass up the LEDs and Proximity Entry available at that trim level. It's about real world... not about being fair.
Why? A Rubicon is NOT a luxery vehicle. You seem to have the impression that it is.

I also, LED aside, consider too much tech on a Rubicon a turn off.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
This thread is fake news.

The every option possible ordering compare of course slants to buying a Rubocon. Obviously if you want to pay max dollar go max model.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Ribeye is good but filet mignon is where it’s at.

Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
That's not really a fair comparison. You're not comparing apples to apples. The LED option won't be available on a ribeye. Plus you get a lower fat ratio on the filet. Will you ever use it? Probably not, just like 95% of the soccer mom's who go for the filet.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Yea, all the fun for a Jeep for me would be in doors off/roof off driving. I miss my convertible dearly.

I want a Chief edition 2-door with power vent hood, Sahara options otherwise, plug in hybrid V8 manual transmission. :)

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Filet mignon is the mall-crawler of steaks; it looks purty and all but has no flavor of it's own (no fat) which is why the steak house feels compelled to offer all those sauces for it. Might as well have chicken. Dry-aged bone-in ribeye, rare or medium rare, just needs some cracked black pepper and salt and you are good to go. Paired with some good bourbon, syrah or zin and it's game on. Ribeye is the full-on rock-climbing Rubicon of steaks.

(all in good fun here!)

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Your math is a wee bit off on Sahara vs Rubicon pricing. I priced and identically optioned Rubicon vs Sahara and the Rubi is $3000 more.
Thanks for clarifying! That sounds more accurate. I was using his math, not mine. Either way, the point stands if you aren’t going to take advantage of the extra off road capability, it is a waste of money. Whether it is $5 or $5,000. Add in the fact that the Sahara gets the Selec Track full time drive, I can’t see why somebody could argue there isn’t a valid reason to go with a Sahara.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Your math is a wee bit off on Sahara vs Rubicon pricing. I priced and identically optioned Rubicon vs Sahara and the Rubi is $3000 more.
For my build they are about $2,500 apart (Sahara with Premium Soft Top and Limited Slip Diff, Rubicon with premium Soft Top).

I'm not sure how you get them to be only $1,000 apart unless you option them differently.
Sponsored