Makes NO Sense to Buy Anything other than a Rubicon

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Unless you want a stripped base base base 2 door, the differences in prices between the comparable Sport S and Sahara are only 2 - 4k less with the same features and you don't even get the bigger / better tires, dana 44 axles, lockers, swaybar disconnect, or factory lift that will accommodate 35s. You would barely even notice a difference in price, why would anyone NOT get a Rubicon?.

I built three unlimited jeeps on the site, S, Sahara, and Rubicon. Added the same features to each that I wanted (auto, dual top, technology group, tow group). The end prices were a laugh, only a few thousand less than the comparable Rubicon which gives you so many more features.

Again, who would buy a non Rubicon?
I’m a family man with 4 yro and a 6 yro girls and (although we live in a lake community and own a small boat and kayak), my wife prefers the terrain of a high end fashion mall over the outdoors. I’ve been driving a 2015 Mercedes but since I mostly work from home and will no longer have daycare drop off starting next year, and my wife already has a Lexus SUV, we thought it made sense to get a “fun car” for my next/our second vehicle.

We take an annual summer trip to Gatlinburg TN (about 6 hrs away) and love to drive around the National Park and stay in nice cabins atop the mountains there. My wife is also a teacher and gets summers off, and since we live in a lake community in indiana she liked the idea of having a convertible in addition to us living the thought of driving a topless/doorless JLU around the smokies when we go. Aside from that, there are some off-road trails near me, like “badlands” - Attica Indiana, but realistically our Jeep will stay on paved roads and light off trails.

A JLU fits all our needs for my car....can tow our small boat, has decent cargo room for Home Depot runs, has plenty of our ground clearance for the Smokie Mountains and the Midwest snow we get in winters, and has the fun factor we want. And, being used to driving luxury cars, the JLU still offers the “amenities” (like LEDs, Proximity Entry, blond spot monitoring, and Apple Carplay) we are used to.

The sport version doesn’t offer the bells and whistles the Sahara does. The Rubicon is more expensive for essentially only improved off road capability and a slightly bigger screen - neither of which we need or really wanted. And the Rubi doesn’t offer the Selec Track all the time all wheel drive like the Sahara does, which will be nice in the winter here. So, why would I pay more for the Rubicon or go with a base Sport mode over my Sahara again??? Ha In 5 months when I’m on the highway out of town to the Smokie Mountains, I’ll appreciate my street tires a lot more than I would have liked a better axle and either way the top and doors will be off with plenty of free air in my face. ;)
Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon_Front.jpg
Code:
JL Rubicon - comfort plus serious off-road foundation
(no Safety or Trailer Tow/HD Electric Group options)
(no Body Color Top or Fenders, no Optional Wheels)
(no Infotainment, which is same price as Alpine audio)
$FWP        $MSRP
$35,250     $36,995  Base
$     0           0  ERC V6
$ 1,780     $ 2,000  DFT Automatic
-------     -------
$37,030     $38,995  24R  Customer Preferred Package 24R
      0           0  PE4  Punk'n Clearcoat Paint
$ 1,242     $ 1,395  *AL  Leather, req for Punk'n or Mojito
      0           0  -T5  Black/Heritage Tan, req as above
$   797         895  AD6  LED Lighting Group, req for AST
$ 1,153     $ 1,295  AST  Steel Bumper Group
$   441     $   495  GXD  Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
$   797     $   895  ADE  Cold Weather Group
$   975     $ 1,095  HT1  Black 3-Piece Hard Top
-------     -------
$42,435     $45,065
+ 1,195     + 1,195  Destination
-------     -------
$43,630     $46,260  plus title, license, tax, etc

$ 7,058     $ 8,200  over Sport S
$10,966     $12,590  over Base Sport
[/QUOTE]

I know this is just my opinion.....but if someone pays over $40k for a 2 door Jeep regardless of Rubicon or not....they crazy lol....I am having a hard time swallowing $44k for my 4 door Rubi which is equipped just right for me.

Reactions: Moe

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Optioned appropriate to the trim level, the Rubicon is
more than a few thousand more expensive than more
practical options for many... especially since Jeep is too
friggin' greedy to just use a silver dash in Punk'n and
Mojito painted vehicles with black cloth seats.

Sport_B_Punkn_Front.jpg
Code:
JL Sport - minimalist
(no engine block heater or Trailer Tow/HD Electric Group)
(has Air-Conditioning and Deep Tint like Sport S)
$FWP        $MSRP
$26,590     $26,995  Base
$     0           0  ERC  V6
$ 1,780     $ 2,000  DFT  Automatic
-------     -------
$28,370     $28,995  24B  Customer Preferred Package 24B
      0           0  PE4  Punk'n Metallic Clearcoat Paint
      0           0  *A7  Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
      0           0  -X9  Black
$   530     $   595  DSA  Anti-Spin Rear Dana 44
$     0     $     0  TTC  Goodyear A/T Tires
$ 1,153     $ 1,295  HAA  Air-Conditioning
$     0     $     0       [iced over] Keyed Door Lock Entry
$   441     $   495  GCD  Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
-------     -------
$31,469     $32,475
-------     -------
$32,664     $33,670  plus title, license, tax, etc

Sport_S_Punkn_Front.jpg
Code:
JL Sport S - comfortably equipped daily driver
(has Tech Group like base Rubi, but no Alpine audio)
$FWP        $MSRP
$26,590     $26,995  Base
$     0           0  ERC  V6
$ 1,780     $ 2,000  DFT  Automatic
$ 2,848     $ 3,200  S Package
-------     -------
$31,218     $32,195  24S  Customer Preferred Package 24S
      0           0  PE4  Punk'n Metallic Clearcoat Paint
      0           0  *A7  Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
      0           0  -X9  Black
$   530     $   595  DSA  Anti-Spin Rear Dana 44
$     0     $     0  TTC  Goodyear A/T Tires
$   797     $   895  WBG  Granite Wheels, req for A/T Tires
$   886     $   995  AAN  Technology Group (7" UC4 like Rubi)
$     0     $     0       Remote Fob Button Keyless Entry
$   174     $   195  ADC  Convenience Group, req for ADE
-------     -------
$35,377     $36,865
-------     -------
$36,572     $38,060  plus title, license, tax, etc

$ 3,908     $ 4,390  over Base Sport

Rubicon_Front.jpg
Code:
JL Rubicon - comfort plus serious off-road foundation
(no Body Color Top or Fenders, no Optional Wheels)
(no Infotainment, which is same price as Alpine audio)
$FWP        $MSRP
$35,250     $36,995  Base
$     0           0  ERC V6
$ 1,780     $ 2,000  DFT Automatic
-------     -------
$37,030     $38,995  24R  Customer Preferred Package 24R
      0           0  PE4  Punk'n Clearcoat Paint
$ 1,242     $ 1,395  *AL  Leather, req for Punk'n or Mojito
      0           0  -T5  Black/Heritage Tan, req as above
$   797         895  AD6  LED Lighting Group, req for AST
$ 1,153     $ 1,295  AST  Steel Bumper Group
$   441     $   495  GXD  Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
-------     -------
$42,435     $45,065
-------     -------
$43,630     $46,260  plus title, license, tax, etc

$ 7,058     $ 8,200  over Sport S
$10,966     $12,590  over Base Sport
If you can do without the steel bumpers, proximity entry, and leather on the sport s, why not on the Rubi. (I’m assuming you will be able to get black cloth on the orange once it is able to be ordered. You put too much faith in the builder to be accurate when glitches have already been pointed out.) If you drop those three options ($3200 MSRP), the prices are pretty close and the Rubi has additional features. There is still a big difference between that and the Base Sport though. I think you should get what you want. It will be your Jeep, but with those options included, it is not a fair comparison.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I don’t understand how people talk about the huge difference in price from the Rubicon to the sport S when they add all sorts of options to the Rubicon!

If you are seriously considering the sport, also price out a Rubicon with the exact same options. Don’t add steel bumpers, prox entry, infotainment, led’s, etc...

Then look at the difference in price for just the hood, axles, tires, bigger brakes, 4:1 transfer case, lockers, 1” lift, better suspension, premium cloth...

If your sport was good enough w/o led’s then so should your Rubicon! That’s a true comparison. (Should also consider what you plan on purchasing aftermarket that’s equivalent to what the Rubicon comes standard)

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m a family man with 4 yro and a 6 yro girls and (although we live in a lake community and own a small boat and kayak), my wife prefers the terrain of a high end fashion mall over the outdoors. I’ve been driving a 2015 Mercedes but since I mostly work from home and will no longer have daycare drop off starting next year, and my wife already has a Lexus SUV, we thought it made sense to get a “fun car” for my next/our second vehicle.

We take an annual summer trip to Gatlinburg TN (about 6 hrs away) and love to drive around the National Park and stay in nice cabins atop the mountains there. My wife is also a teacher and gets summers off, and since we live in a lake community in indiana she liked the idea of having a convertible in addition to us living the thought of driving a topless/doorless JLU around the smokies when we go. Aside from that, there are some off-road trails near me, like “badlands” - Attica Indiana, but realistically our Jeep will stay on paved roads and light off trails.

A JLU fits all our needs for my car....can tow our small boat, has decent cargo room for Home Depot runs, has plenty of our ground clearance for the Smokie Mountains and the Midwest snow we get in winters, and has the fun factor we want. And, being used to driving luxury cars, the JLU still offers the “amenities” (like LEDs, Proximity Entry, blond spot monitoring, and Apple Carplay) we are used to.

The sport version doesn’t offer the bells and whistles the Sahara does. The Rubicon is more expensive for essentially only improved off road capability and a slightly bigger screen - neither of which we need or really wanted. And the Rubi doesn’t offer the Selec Track all the time all wheel drive like the Sahara does, which will be nice in the winter here. So, why would I pay more for the Rubicon or go with a base Sport mode over my Sahara again??? Ha In 5 months when I’m on the highway out of town to the Smokie Mountains, I’ll appreciate my street tires a lot more than I would have liked a better axle and either way the top and doors will be off with plenty of free air in my face. ;)

Because for basically the same price (comparable Sahara is around $1,000 or less price difference from the Rubicon) you get bigger / better tires (widely regarded as the best all terrain tires available) that will get you through the elements better. And you get much higher resale value with all those extra off road elements for free. Even if you don't use them, why not have them for essentially the same price when it will so greatly boost your vehicle's value?

Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Because for basically the same price (comparable Sahara is around $1,000 or less price difference from the Rubicon) you get bigger / better tires (widely regarded as the best all terrain tires available) that will get you through the elements better. And you get much higher resale value with all those extra off road elements for free. Even if you don't use them, why not have them for essentially the same price when it will so greatly boost your vehicle's value?
Fair points, except....a) it’s still $1,000 more and if you truly aren’t going to do hardcore off-roading, that’s extra money spent that wasn’t necessary. Invest that same $1,000 at the time of purchase and by the time I sell my Sahara I’m sure it will more than make up for the difference of anything lost in resale from the Rubicon. And the resale argument is assuming you eventually do sel or trade in. What about if it is a forever car? and b) you don’t get the all wheel drive all the time selec track option in the Rubi that is offered in the Sahara. I live right on the belt line for lake effect snow in the Midwest and I’m excited about that feature.

I would say your point applies to most, but not all, situations. The Sahara still has a place IMO. But good points.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Fair points, except....a) it’s still $1,000 more and if you truly aren’t going to do hardcore off-roading, that’s extra money spent that wasn’t necessary. Invest that same $1,000 at the time of purchase and by the time I sell my Sahara I’m sure it will more than make up for the difference of anything lost in resale from the Rubicon. And the resale argument is assuming you eventually do sel or trade in. What about if it is a forever car? and b) you don’t get the all wheel drive all the time selec track option in the Rubi that is offered in the Sahara. I live right on the belt line for lake effect snow in the Midwest and I’m excited about that feature.

I would say your point applies to most, but not all, situations. The Sahara still has a place IMO. But good points.
I find that I both completely agree with you...and completely disagree all at the same time lol. It all depends on what you want out of your Jeep, but as for resale Rubicons always hold the most value....now there's a lot of math in there somewhere because you have to figure your average Sahara driver is going to do little to no modification to their Jeep where as your Rubicon driver is likely going to invest another $5k-$10k in a lift, tires, upgrades, accessories, etc through the life of the vehicle....and those things you rarely get back out of the vehicle if you sell it....sure you enjoy them and personally get the value out of it, but dollar for dollar you lose lol

If both vehicles are stock, stay stock, and they are both an equally great deal....yea Rubicon wins on value.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I think if you’re actually going to go rock crawling then the rubicon is the obvious choice. Most Jeep buyers just like the way they look and the idea that they can do some off-roading if they had to. For them, all the other models make more sense.

No rocks in Florida and I don’t care for off-roading but I think Jeeps look like fun to drive. I like the idea of a short tall 4x4. I grew up with a Bronco II and had a Ford Explorer Sport myself. Never off-roaded either but they were fun to drive and looked cool.

I like the idea of getting a 2-door limited edition version like a Chief with some comfort and convenience options. Really no interest in the Rubicon off-road gear. If anything it probably makes it worse to drive on road. That being said, a nicely equipped Jeep is now running about $50k all said and done with the tires you want and a couple aftermarket goodies.

Before doing research, in my mind, I thought a nicely equipped Jeep was around $25k. I had no idea they were so expensive with such inexpensive small engines, simple engineering and suspension setups. It really just makes me covet a higher end off-roader like a Range Rover Sport and the new G Class Merc. Yea they’re going to be twice as much easily but you’re getting soooo much more vehicle. High end suspension, chassis engineering; big V8, endless luxury and convenience options.

So I think like many folks I’m torn. I like the idea of either a super cheap runaround small tall 4x4 but not $40-50k. I feel like getting a lightly used supercharged v8 Range Rover would just be sooooo much more car for the money and just as capable or more so for my non rock crawling duty. Just thinking out loud I guess.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I think if you’re actually going to go rock crawling then the rubicon is the obvious choice. Most Jeep buyers just like the way they look and the idea that they can do some off-roading if they had to. For them, all the other models make more sense.

No rocks in Florida and I don’t care for off-roading but I think Jeeps look like fun to drive. I like the idea of a short tall 4x4. I grew up with a Bronco II and had a Ford Explorer Sport myself. Never off-roaded either but they were fun to drive and looked cool.

I like the idea of getting a 2-door limited edition version like a Chief with some comfort and convenience options. Really no interest in the Rubicon off-road gear. If anything it probably makes it worse to drive on road. That being said, a nicely equipped Jeep is now running about $50k all said and done with the tires you want and a couple aftermarket goodies.

Before doing research, in my mind, I thought a nicely equipped Jeep was around $25k. I had no idea they were so expensive with such inexpensive small engines, simple engineering and suspension setups. It really just makes me covet a higher end off-roader like a Range Rover Sport and the new G Class Merc. Yea they’re going to be twice as much easily but you’re getting soooo much more vehicle. High end suspension, chassis engineering; big V8, endless luxury and convenience options.

So I think like many folks I’m torn. I like the idea of either a super cheap runaround small tall 4x4 but not $40-50k. I feel like getting a lightly used supercharged v8 Range Rover would just be sooooo much more car for the money and just as capable or more so for my non rock crawling duty. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Its simple, those cars aren't as fun, and from experience you'll loose more in depreciation then the wrangler costs ( perhaps an exargeration but you get the point).....Those SUVs aren't in the same league/same type of vehicle, and I don't mean more capable...Im talking about fun and expense.....You can pick up a nice used Wrangler for around 25K, that wouldn't be a bad option for you.

Last edited:

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

The Range Rover might be a better option for you, if not requiring the utility aspects of the Wrangler, and wanting to spend the extra cash and have max luxury. Although you also lose the fun of top down and doors off driving. Parts for my old 1972 Series III Land Rover are still decent cost, but that vehicle is a different beast, back when Land Rover was still making utility vehicles. I am thinking parts for newer luxury models are quite a bit more these days, in case that matters or you plan to hang onto the vehicle after warranty runs out. Actually though, the used JK option that was mentioned by JHJLUR, sounds like it might be the ticket, to get down into the 20 grand or lower range for a utility top down run-a-bout.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I don’t understand how people talk about the huge difference in price from the Rubicon to the sport S when they add all sorts of options to the Rubicon!

If you are seriously considering the sport, also price out a Rubicon with the exact same options. Don’t add steel bumpers, prox entry, infotainment, led’s, etc...

Then look at the difference in price for just the hood, axles, tires, bigger brakes, 4:1 transfer case, lockers, 1” lift, better suspension, premium cloth...

If your sport was good enough w/o led’s then so should your Rubicon! That’s a true comparison. (Should also consider what you plan on purchasing aftermarket that’s equivalent to what the Rubicon comes standard)
^^ I've been stating this since post #46.

Take a Sport S, add the $1000 tech group which gets you the same infotainment group as rubi and add the $600 LSD option that gets you the D44 rear axle and all terrain tires. Those two options on the Sport S get it as close to a base Rubi as factory possible.

Now compare the price apples to apples.

JL Sport S $31,390 + $595 LSD + $995 Tech = $32,980 MSRP
JLU Sport S $34,890 +$595 LSD + $995 Tech = $36,480 MSRP
JL Rubi $38,190 MSRP
JLU Rubi $41,690 MSRP

Difference:
JL Sport S vs Rubi = $5,210
JLU Sport S vs Rubi = $5,210

All other options such as auto, tops, etc are the same price. Of course not all options are available on the Sport.

So those that are saying there is only a $2,000 to $3,000 difference are wrong. It's a least $5,000 difference after invoice pricing.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor

Take a Sport S, add the $1000 tech group which gets you the same infotainment group as rubi and add the $600 LSD option that gets you the D44 rear axle and all terrain tires. Those two options on the Sport S get it as close to a base Rubi as factory possible.

JL Rubi $38,190 MSRP
JLU Rubi $41,690 MSRP

Difference:

All other options such as auto, tops, etc are the same price. Of course not all options are available on the Sport.

So those that are saying there is only a $2,000 to $3,000 difference are wrong. It's a least $5,000 difference after invoice pricing.
Bravo! And ditto:clap:

Last edited:

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
Difference:

And my point of saying, "Optioned appropriate to the trim level..." means if I'm going to spend that much extra for the Rubi, I'm not going to buy one with plastic Safari bumpers or pass up the LEDs and Proximity Entry available at that trim level. It's about real world... not about being fair.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bravo! And ditto:clap:
I believe those comparisons were to the Sahara. However, Hi-Line fenders, front Dana 44, rock rails, fuel door, grill slot and light surround inserts, built in garage door opener convenience package, bigger brake kit, better suspension, bigger/better tires, better rims, premium cloth, powerdome hood, 4:1 transfer case, and lockers (I may be forgetting some other details).. is that worth $5 grand? Up to each individual and how they want it to look or intend it to perform.

Last edited:

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JL Rubi $38,190 MSRP
JLU Rubi $41,690 MSRP

Difference:

$5,210 savings - side steps - fuel door - lift kit to fit 33’s (or just the cost difference between the sport a/t tires and the std Rubi tires) - convenience package = ???

I would at least add the side steps and convenience package to your sport buld. You can order the rest from mopar.
Sponsored