Sponsored

Makes NO Sense to Buy Anything other than a Rubicon

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
Well I don't rock crawl at all. Never had Wrangler so my JLU will be my first. I'm buying it for the open air experience..and to go obnoxiously custom with it. I bought a Sport S because I plan to go Ultimate Dana 60s front and rear with 42s. I may upgrade the transfer case just incase I get tired of crawling the malls and decide to hang with the rock crawlers.:giggle: Either way, it's your money. Buy what fits your need and waste it how you please...Which exactly what I plan to do.
Sponsored

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
That's the beauty of it. Jeep gives us the option to choose. All the visual things you listed, I don't want. I don't want my Jeep like a average Jeep. I want to look outside like "Damn, there's nothing like mine. Maybe close but not like mine."

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
You gotta remember. This is only the FIRST year. Don't buy now. Wait another year or two and your prayers will be answered. You've seen the dozens of different JKs. Just gotta be patient.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the OP for someone who plans to use their Jeep on the trails right out of the gate, but for someone who just wants to be an urban warrior/occasional trail climber or beach comber so to speak, I get it. Hell even those that plan to offroad dont NEED a Rubicon.

I got into wheeling with a TJ on 35s stock dana 30 front, 35 rear....worst combination ever? Well the internet seems to think so since the invention of online forums "it will grenade on impact" "turdy 5" "its gonna splode" "your an idiot and it wont last" the list goes on....but I wheeled my little 30/35 on 35s for years and never broke not 1 little piece. I added lunchbox style aussie brand lockers...again never broke not 1 piece. Never stripped a ring/pinion/spider/shaft/hub...nothing. Did I wheel easy (on the skinny pedal), yea I did....does that mean I was stuck on the bunny hills? No.

Eventually I went long arm, and swapped over to an 8.8 ford rear axle because I wanted to get more aggressive, but I never broke nada on that 35. So the axle debate (which is now basically the Rubicon vs non Rubicon debate since 2003) is not necessarily an accurate one as a blanket statement. Is it more capable off the lot...of course it is...is it necessary, not for everybody.

Is it worth $10k over a Sport....to me it sure as hell is. To someone who might wheel once a year or simply use it as a Sunday Funday/Summertime top down vehicle...absolutely not. Jeep would not survive if they only catered to us hard core wannabe off road "mine won a war and yours cuts my grass" enthusiasts. Hence the 4 door was born lol (yea I ordered a 4 door..."wanna fight about it?" LOL)

Wranglers are like a-holes
some are noisy
some are quiet
some are broke
some leak
some are huge
some are tiny
some wobble
some are clean as a whistle
some need a bath
some show it off
some keep it reserved

but everyone should have one, and those that dont probably wish they did

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I built up my 2014 Anvil jku with 2.5"aev lift and 33" duratracs .Bought aftermarket wheels with proper backspacing. I have the lsd. I got an aftermarket front bumper. Love it. Dont need the rubicon but like it anyway. I think im going back to a 2dr as my other vehicle is a 4runner. For me the rubicon JL is a better value propostion than the JK rubicon. I want to stay with 33's and the ko2 tires are perfect for my use as last years mud tires would have been replaced. The wheels are fine as is and with its current stance I will not need to purchase a lift either.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Despite the desert-themed name, the JL Sahara trim seems aimed at winter use (available full time 4wd and LSD). I just want a manual transmission vehicle that can tow a 5x8 utility trailer and do well on snow/ice; other than the Severe Service-rated OEM tires, the Rubicon is inferior to a Sahara for this usage scenario.

The Rubicon admittedly looks better with its hood, fenders, red interior trim, etc. But the forthcoming special editions will surely include models with some Rubicon aesthetics but non-rock-crawling mechanicals. Personality, I think those of you that would take a $45k+ vehicle over huge boulders are either insane or trust fund kids.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Personality, I think those of you that would take a $45k+ vehicle over huge boulders are either insane or trust fund kids.
Or maybe they're the types of drivers that would take a $45k+ rig w/ solid front and rear axles over huge boulders using it as intended by the very people that built it.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Or maybe they're the types of drivers that would take a $45k+ rig w/ solid front and rear axles over huge boulders using it as intended by the very people that built it.
Of course Sergio wants you guys to buy $45k vehicles then flip them into a ditch; then he can sell you another one.

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Why buy a wrangler if you are not going to take it off road at least occasionally? There are plenty of cheaper SUVs out there if you never plan to leave the pavement.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Why buy a wrangler if you are not going to take it off road at least occasionally? There are plenty of cheaper SUVs out there if you never plan to leave the pavement.
There are no cheaper 4-door convertible SUVs that look badass out there.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
"Off Road" and "Boulder crawling" are not one in the same. Also, manual transmission SUVs are a rare breed.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
For me, the bigger axles (<--- Is that right? I'm confused), gears, lockers, and brakes make it worth it. There ain't a rock to be seen for miles from me but, I do want to run 35's. Rubi comes ready. Will the D35 on a Sport handle 35's? Most likely, in my case, but overkill is just enough for me. I cringe at running 35's with 3.45 (??) gears. I'm saving my duckies for the JLU....capital..R.

There's also that whole resale thingy. Although I plan to roll my next one into the ground. But hey, you never know.
Sponsored