Sponsored

Make the JEEP Toledo factory a tourist destination!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The Wrangler and Corvette are probably the top 2 American automotive icons in the world. They both have unbelievable followings.

The Corvette is made in Bowling Green KY. GM offers factory tours to the public of the Corvette factory. Right across the street is the National Corvette Museum. GM offers several options for Corvette buyers to personalize the experience. There are options to build your own engine, select your own unique VIN number, watch your Corvette being built on the line, picture albums of the experience, and delivery at the National Corvette Museum. The Museum is across the street from the factory. There is a race track behind the Museum.

Hey JEEP CARES…here is pitch. Make the Toledo Jeep Wrangler factory a national tourist destination. Run this idea up the flag pole to someone at FCA.

*Offer factory tours. Tourist can watch a great American Icon being made by a proud American workforce.

*Open a National JEEP Museum that highlights the history and significance of the Wrangler in American history. Display every JEEP.

*Offer a personalized delivery option where owners can pick up their new Wrangler at the Factory or Museum.

*Have a JEEP themed cafe that offers classic outdoor Americana cuisine.

*Open a JEEP themed gift store that sells JEEP clothing, memorabilia and Wrangler accessories.

*Most importantly build a realistic outdoor road course where people can ride along. Build a obstacle course that highlights and shows off the Wranglers off road capabilities. Something like what FCA/JEEP already does at auto shows but BIGGER! Something outdoors on a much larger scale. Maybe replicate short portions of different iconic trails with rock climbing, water fording, trails with obstacles, etc.

I think a lot of people would come away with the Wrangler and Jeep brand burned into their memories after a experience like this. Adults and kids a like will want Wranglers for generations after a visit.

Toledo would benefit from tourism.

FCA can thank me later! lol.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think a long time ago they had tours but now it is by invitation only. Probably some crazed soon to be owner thought he saw his on the assembly line and ran out to look at it. But they sell all they can make so why would they do all of that?
And what about the national Jeep museum in Atlanta?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler and Corvette are probably the top 2 American automotive icons in the world. They both have unbelievable followings.

The Corvette is made in Bowling Green KY. GM offers factory tours to the public of the Corvette factory. Right across the street is the National Corvette Museum. GM offers several options for Corvette buyers to personalize the experience. There are options to build your own engine, select your own unique VIN number, watch your Corvette being built on the line, picture albums of the experience, and delivery at the National Corvette Museum. The Museum is across the street from the factory. There is a race track behind the Museum.

Hey JEEP CARES…here is pitch. Make the Toledo Jeep Wrangler factory a national tourist destination. Run this idea up the flag pole to someone at FCA.

*Offer factory tours. Tourist can watch a great American Icon being made by a proud American workforce.

*Open a National JEEP Museum that highlights the history and significance of the Wrangler in American history. Display every JEEP.

*Offer a personalized delivery option where owners can pick up their new Wrangler at the Factory or Museum.

*Open a JEEP themed gift store that sells JEEP clothing, memorabilia and Wrangler accessories.

*Most importantly build a realistic outdoor road course where people can ride along. Build a obstacle course that highlights and shows off the Wranglers off road capabilities. Something like what FCA/JEEP already does at auto shows but BIGGER! Something outdoors on a much larger scale. Maybe replicate short portions of different iconic trails with rock climbing, water fording, trails with obstacles, etc.

I think a lot of people would come away with the Wrangler and Jeep brand burned into their memories after a experience like this. Adults and kids a like will want Wranglers for generations after a visit.

It’s funny Nick, when I first read the thread title I thought “this is dumb” but your ideas make a lot of sense. Jeeps are so popular these days that I think that would be pretty cool.

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase

You are assuming FCA care that much about customer experience. As long as Wrangler sells, they won't care shit. I would rather they fix their shit QC than offering WIlly Wonka tour.

What you just mentioned is reserved for luxury cars like Corvette, Ferrari...at the least i can think about it is Volvo oversea delivery. FCA is far far from that category, and I know, Wrangler can cost $60k now, but no, price tag does not automatically qualify a luxury brand nor product.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
The Corvette tour is really neat and the museum is neat as well. They have all the cars recovered from the sinkhole (Repaired or not) that opened up under the floor several years ago. I have only been to Toledo once but might find a reason to go back if I could tour the Jeep plant.
It is true that when you order a new Vette you can option to help build your own engine. If I remember correctly, it is a $ 5,000 option so that may not work for the 3.6L!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Nick, on paper, that’s a great idea! I think we’ve all been on tours and there’s always that one person or couple in the group that HAS to play the role of the annoying tourist. If you’re reading this, you know who you are.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind a closed group, invitation only, of people who I enjoy being around and with who I wouldn’t mind sharing the factory tour experience.

If not, then I’m content with the YouTube factory tour.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go - pony up some dollars to the fund drive:

Now, thanks to the 22nd Century Committee, a non-profit organization invested in revitalizing downtown Toledo, the Jeep museum project is building some serious momentum.

There’s no official ground-breaking date on the calendar, but the Toledo Blade recently announced the non-profit group’s intention to open “The Jeep Experience” in a 56,000-square-foot building in downtown Toledo, probably in 2022. The interactive-display museum is expected to ring in at $40 million, but the local community hopes to attract international tourism. ProMedica president and CEO Randy Oostra is a member of the Toledo-based non-profit and will likely sit on the board of a 501(c)(3) that, if things go smoothly, steer the project into reality. ProMedica’s staff did some research and thinks that, should the museum become reality, it could generate an annual revenue somewhere around $6M.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
BMW has tours, a store and a track in South Carolina. I think that is a great idea! I'll go!

Sponsored

Bejer

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Firecracker Red
Ford has tours of it’s Dearborn truck plant, all on catwalks above the line. If they did the same in Toledo I’d go check it out

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Just like everything else in life it’s who you know. Us peasants wouldn’t even get a return phone call if we asked to drive our Jeeps off the line.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport

Fantastic suggestion, just like getting personalize license plates, one could get a personalized VIN - I would pay a few (if not several) bucks for my own VIN #. Along with the other fantastic suggestions of a "cafe" "gift shop" Hat's off to you Viper88.
Sponsored