Sponsored

Make the JEEP Toledo factory a tourist destination!

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Further consideration will question how much money is to be made from running such tours, both in their being a profitable endeavor on their own, and in increasing sales, as well as the risk to expose proprietary processes accidently, that competition without said tours will likely sign up for, hidden cameras in tow.

I do though think it might be fun to be a part of.
Many other automobile factories offer tours without issues. They can simply route tours through areas where there are no concerns about proprietary process. The Corvette factory did that when they were building a new part of the plant. Maybe Stellantis will reconsider now they have merged? Lol.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Further consideration will question how much money is to be made from running such tours, both in their being a profitable endeavor on their own, and in increasing sales, as well as the risk to expose proprietary processes accidently,...
Fair points, all.

In relation to the bolded text, I'll say that I personally wouldn't be willing to pay an admission fee for any such tour. Let the associated bump in sales trends be payment enough. The Wrangler has been and remains an enduring cash cow for whoever owns the rights to it. The tour guide's salary needn't be funded by a cover charge.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

When I was in college me and three friends road tripped to Bowling Green to do the tour and museum. As a lifelong Corvette fan, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I still follow the museum on Facebook.

All of this would be really cool, and yes, it could also all easily be self-sufficient within a couple of years. If they hired a smart event coordinator to setup meetups and such at the museum/track, they could have a steady flow of traffic and you know Jeep owners have deep pockets.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair points, all.

In relation to the bolded text, I'll say that I personally wouldn't be willing to pay an admission fee for any such tour. Let the associated bump in sales trends be payment enough. The Wrangler has been and remains an enduring cash cow for whoever owns the rights to it. The tour guide's salary needn't be funded by a cover charge.
I don't know if there is any profit from giving tours? The admission fee to tour the Bowling Green Corvette factory is very modest. I think it was $5 a person the last time I went several years ago. I hear they raised it $2 to $7 now. Still a deal and a half for the experience in my opinion. The staff giving the tours in Bowling Green are interns from the local University. The National Corvette Museum across the street is a separate non-profit. I think admission is $15/ per person. Both are well worth the modest price of admission in my opinion.

https://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/

Sponsored

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I worked on Saturn advertising back in the mid 90s and they made the factory experience work for them. But it was woven into the whole brand experience. Every year they hosted “Homecoming” were all Saturn owners could converge on the SpringHill, TN factory. While I never got the go, it really was a great time for the car owners who were champs of the brand, corporate people factory employees and the retailers (they weren’t called “dealers”).

I could see something like that happening for Jeep, however I believe it would take a monumental effort by FCA to make it worthy of the experience. And, even though I was raised in the Toledo area, I must admit that Toledo is hard-pressed to be a vacation destination especially the area where the factory is located.

And right now I don’t want the factory distracted by anything so they can get my JLRU completed and delivered to me ASAP!!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve said it before “people ruin things for people”. How profitable can it be when probably in about a week some dummy claims he/she slipped on the painted factory floor. Oh and by the way don’t call the doctor, call my lawyer.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

even though I was raised in the Toledo area, I must admit that Toledo is hard-pressed to be a vacation destination especially the area where the factory is located
True, but it's not like Bowling Green is a destination, either, lol.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but it's not like Bowling Green is a destination, either, lol.
The NCM and Corvette Factory made Bowling Green a destination. It helps that Nashville and some attractions like the Mammoth Caves are close or are along the way.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve said it before “people ruin things for people”. How profitable can it be when probably in about a week some dummy claims he/she slipped on the painted factory floor. Oh and by the way don’t call the doctor, call my lawyer.
I agree frivolous law lawsuits can ruin things for people in many instances. I don't think that would be much of a concern during a factory tour. You pretty much sign away your life by signing a disclaimer before the tour. Lol. At the Corvette factory anyway.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two words...Camp Jeep
The National Corvette Museum built a race track behind the museum for highperfromance driving events. It's a great way to showcase the performance of the Corvette. Camp Jeep could build a off-road course to show off the Wrangler's off road capabilities. Maybe something with rocks, dirt, water crossing. Maybe replicate a small section of the Rubicon Trail.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They could have a Jeep Pro Shop with all the swag you could ever imagine, plus all the Mopar accessories with an installation shop. They'd make a killing with all of that, plus a Jeep themed restaurant or at least coffee/snack bar.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
This would be pretty cool. Hey it may not be the end destination but it would be worth a stop on the way somewhere else.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I worked on Saturn advertising back in the mid 90s and they made the factory experience work for them. But it was woven into the whole brand experience. Every year they hosted “Homecoming” were all Saturn owners could converge on the SpringHill, TN factory. While I never got the go, it really was a great time for the car owners who were champs of the brand, corporate people factory employees and the retailers (they weren’t called “dealers”).

I could see something like that happening for Jeep, however I believe it would take a monumental effort by FCA to make it worthy of the experience. And, even though I was raised in the Toledo area, I must admit that Toledo is hard-pressed to be a vacation destination especially the area where the factory is located.

And right now I don’t want the factory distracted by anything so they can get my JLRU completed and delivered to me ASAP!!!
I remember the Saturn brand. Fixed pricing at Saturn retailers. The retailers had better customer service than their sister GM brands. They were suposed to anyway. I owned a SC2. The best part about the Saturn was the plastic body. The body panels did not rust so the cars looked cleaner longer. The engines were questionable. Mine consumed or burned oil. I remember going to the dealer-retailer to buy parts. I noticed the boxes for each part had different pictures of different animals, fish, fruit, etc. I asked the parts guy about that. He said it was so parts pickers in warehouses could identify parts without having to be literate. Largemouth Bass =spark plug wires. Smallmouth Bass = distributor cap. Interesting concept. I wonder if that was really the reason? Cool concept if it was. It helps employ people who normally might have difficulty finding work.
Sponsored

Last edited: