Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Just like the new JL track bar that has stiffer bushings, there is a new inner drag link that is also re-enforced. The new Mopar part number is 68258760AD, new as of mid-Feb.
Thanks! I'll bring this up to my dealer.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Nope. This was just uploaded yesterday. I'm sure he'll get an aftermarket drag link and track bar. I'm going to check mine a little later.
There is one issue with checking toe like they did in the video. I took two measurements, one on the ground and one in the air (both front tires up in the air with two jacks). On the ground, toe was 1/8". In the air, it was 1/16". So if they adjusted it for 1/8" off the ground, it is probably 3/16" on the ground. Notice when they do toe alignments at a shop, it is on the lift, but it is on a platform with the spinning plates so the weight of the vehicle is as if it were on the ground. Point is, double check your toe measurements on the ground. I know both 1/16 and 1/8 for toe is "in spec" but as the updated Star case about steering issues mentions, put toe at the extreme end of the spec.

Last edited:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Just like the new JL track bar that has stiffer bushings, there is a new inner drag link that is also re-enforced. The new Mopar part number is 68258760AD, new as of mid-Feb.
Oh really? After being backordered for a few weeks the dealer called and told me they have have the drag link part I ordered. The pitman arm
Side bushing.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
So my steering locked up this morning going around a curve at 50mph - fortunately i had enough steering input in it before it locked to get around the corner before going in the ditch. It continued to lock up and free for the next half a mile. The Jeep is usually in the garage at night but has been sitting out this week in the 20s.

Already made an appointment with the dealership but they hadn't heard of this problem so I'm expecting the "can't recreate it" excuse.

Is there a real fix for this yet? Looks like several things have been tried that could solve the problem. If there's no real fix then there may be a 2018 JLU for sale soon....
After a week at the dealership and multiple unsuccessful attempts to replicate, they did apply TSB 08-092-18 and provided the full printout of the TSB from FCA. Reading the details, it does sound applicable so I can only hope that it really did fix the issue. Since it took 5k+ miles for the issue to show up once, who know if/when it will ever happen again.

It may be from not driving it for a week but the feeling seems really soft now - like the power steering pump is providing too much assistance.

As the wheel turns.....

Sponsored

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Not sure. Maybe. But that’s what it feels like. If you were to turn the car off while on the highway and tried to steer. That’s what happens to the steering. All assist is gone.
EXACT same thing just happened to me on the highway today! Lost all power steering, no warning lights or anything. Pulled over on exit ramp, and it was mysteriously back. This frightens the hell out of me.

RubyToBe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 2019 Rubicon
Hello. I want to thank you for making this suggestion and update you regarding my Jeep. I went back to my dealership Wednesday morning (7-11-2018) and they kindly performed this TSB remedy for me which, as you pointed out, updates the electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS) calibrations. The reconfiguration took only 10-15 minutes and it worked like magic!
My steering now feels much more stable and much less vague. Also, and most importantly, the "locking up" condition is completely gone. My current understanding of the issue is that the power steering is not assisting the steering enough at highway speeds causing you to fight your steering just as if your vehicle had stalled out. As we all know, trying to turn a vehicle equipped with power steering when your vehicle isn't running is not an easy task. Of course, no matter what the cause of this steering problem, the important thing is that the reconfiguration described in this TSB is fixing it. Yesterday (Friday), I tried my best to duplicate the locking up condition and could not. In contrast, just the day before, I was able to induce the locking up condition almost at will. So although a very unpleasant experience, especially since this condition first occurred when my daughter and two grandchildren (ages 4 and 1) were in the Jeep with me, Jeep addressed the problem in a timely manner. I would encourage anyone having any kind of steering issue with their Jeep JL to have this TSB reconfiguration done. My problem did not meet the exact description of the problem in the TSB but it was still the fix for my Jeep. I think it's worth giving it a try.
Hi @XTrooper xtrooper, I’m having steering issues in new 2019 JLUR Manual - specifically, list power assist st highway speed (returned after I stopped and restarted), and also steering wobble. Would you be so kind to tell me the TSB# I should ask the dealer about? Much appreciated.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @XTrooper xtrooper, I’m having steering issues in new 2019 JLUR Manual - specifically, list power assist st highway speed (returned after I stopped and restarted), and also steering wobble. Would you be so kind to tell me the TSB# I should ask the dealer about? Much appreciated.
Sure. It is TSB # 08-092-18.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Before everyone have a Heartache, What parts have been changed and how much bashing have they done to the Jeep.
Everyone jumps on the same Wagon without knowing the true facts. They are Bashers so think before you leap.

Sponsored

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Oh really? After being backordered for a few weeks the dealer called and told me they have have the drag link part I ordered. The pitman arm
Side bushing.
Any update after replacing the drag link end?

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Not really. Feels the same I would say. I still hear a clunky noise which I think is the other side of the draglink. It’s the only one that moves
That sucks. I just had the new updated track bar installed yesterday and not a whole lot of difference. Had my wife turn the wheel back and forth while I felt each steering joint and the drag link end at the pitman arm is the only one with play.

rbrown1723

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
EXACT same thing just happened to me on the highway today! Lost all power steering, no warning lights or anything. Pulled over on exit ramp, and it was mysteriously back. This frightens the hell out of me.
The same happened to me on 7/24 and the dealership supposedly fixed by tightening bolts; happened again last Wed; I’m in NY so the weather has been warm (unlike some of the cold temps others have been describing) What did they do for you? I am getting the story “they don’t know what to fix b/c they can’t replicate and no codes are showing up”. BTW, I have a 2019 2 door JL w/ only 1,400 miles

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
The same happened to me on 7/24 and the dealership supposedly fixed by tightening bolts; happened again last Wed; I’m in NY so the weather has been warm (unlike some of the cold temps others have been describing) What did they do for you? I am getting the story “they don’t know what to fix b/c they can’t replicate and no codes are showing up”. BTW, I have a 2019 2 door JL w/ only 1,400 miles
Have them apply TSB 08-092-18 assuming it's applicable to a 2019. if you go back all the way on the thread there were several posts about this lock-up happening in hot temps but the cold seemed to be the dominate scenario. I've put over 4000 miles on mine since the issue and application of the TSB and haven't experienced the issue again - but i also haven't really tried to replicate the conditions of when it showed up the first time.

I'm now dealing with a clicking/popping in the front axle and the dealership is waiting on parts that were back-ordered to replace the front axle bearings - but this also seems to be an experimental fix.

if you are able, i've had better experience with the smaller, more rural jeep dealer (same goes for toyota and honda) than the big "city" dealerships when it comes to service. Look for jeeps in the employee parking lot and you'll probably get someone more likely to want to fix versus the guys who are just doing a job.
Sponsored