Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Recall announced for the steering from another post .

20180602_231450-1024x1365-jpg.jpg

We'll at least we know whats wrong now. There was so much speculation on what was going on. I'ts my opinion and may be safe to say, Most all of the shafts were welded the same way and the ones that split at the weld are having the steering issues. The Billion dollar question is... Can the split occur later in high stress conditions. If so then all need to be replaced. There are so many welding issues here of late.
My Jeep is not part of this this recall, who knows at this point if this truly is the culprit. Then they need to expand the recall.
Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
To those who are having this problem, please tell us if your Jeep has this recall. This will be very interesting. Thanks!

JDyj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 1990 YJ (sold) / 2012 Challenger R/T
Now there is a stop sale for the JL’s that came along with this recall

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
That recall says it’s for the steering wheel winding up off center. It sounds to me that a hollow steering shaft tube with internal splines was made from a flat piece of steel that has been rolled into a round tube and welded at the seem. The seem wasn’t welded good and can split open letting the splines jump a tooth or two. That will then cause the steering wheel to be off center.

The “emergency maneuvers may cause diminished steering response” line means that the splines could strip out and the steering wheel would turn but the wheels wouldn’t.

Nothing in the recall mentions the steering locking up. And, Jeep Informant also said this recall has nothing to do with the steering locking up. So IMHO, this recall has nothing to do with the problem described in this thread.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Recall announced for the steering from another post .

20180602_231450-1024x1365-jpg.jpg

We'll at least we know whats wrong now. There was so much speculation on what was going on. I'ts my opinion and may be safe to say, Most all of the shafts were welded the same way and the ones that split at the weld are having the steering issues. The Billion dollar question is... Can the split occur later in high stress conditions. If so then all need to be replaced. There are so many welding issues here of late.
It appears that this recall is for an entirely different steering defect, not the one described in this thread. Yes, as trouble and defect free as a lot of posters seem to feel this vehicle is, it seems that there’s more than one steering defect that affects these Jeeps.

Sponsored

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
Now there is a stop sale for the JL’s that came along with this recall
That's interesting. Where did you hear this? Has this "stop sale" been publicly announced or are dealers just unable to submit orders?

Thanks

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
This is so bizarre. They've issued a recall for an issue no one on here has reported, but the problem everyone is getting with a lockup is yet unacknowledged nor solved.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
My bad, so there are two steering problems... I assumed this was the culprit but we now have more to look forward too :(

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
This is so bizarre. They've issued a recall for an issue no one on here has reported, but the problem everyone is getting with a lockup is yet unacknowledged nor solved.
it's even worse than that... this VERY serious problem has been addressed with an email, a snail mail,
and a message on the connectivity app U connect.... are you ready? brace yourself, and gird your loins:

2018 JL FREEDOM TOP STORAGE BAG

some jeeps got sent without a storage bag for the tops. SW00N!

be still my heart!

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Someone had to experience this problem or how would Jeep know about it? Maybe they randomly inspected steering intermediate shafts and determined they might fail.

There are a lot of steering complaints on this forum about road wandering. Maybe this has something to do with that.

nothajan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2105 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
My Jeep has now been in for over a week. As I mentioned in a previous post I was able to replicate the issue with the Service Manager in the car last Thursday. Ever since then, the techs at my dealer have been back and forth with the Jeep engineers at corporate trying to figure out the cause. My service advisor just called to inform me that the corporate engineers have recommended replacing the steering gearbox. It is their belief that when the gearbox casing and components (which were changed from steel to aluminum for the JL) get heated, they are expanding and binding which leads to the steering wheel being difficult to turn. I’m not sure if this is really the cause, but I guess we have to start somewhere. I am
waiting on a call back now to determine how long it will take them to get the parts in.

While their theory seems to go along with what we have noticed (seems more prevalent in warmer temps and when the vehicle itself has warmed up), I am not quite sure what replacing one aluminum gearbox for another is going to do.

My service advisor did say he is concerned they are going to see a lot more of this popping up in the Florida heat if the aluminum gearbox really is the issue.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
While their theory seems to go along with what we have noticed (seems more prevalent in warmer temps and when the vehicle itself has warmed up), I am not quite sure what replacing one aluminum gearbox for another is going to do.
i'm thinking at this point they are peeing in the wind. if it were heating, warping
and binding, that wouldn't go away promptly. it'd go away when it cooled.

it'd also emerge gradually, not like a light switch.

temperature gradients are relatively gradual, unless you are running a blown
nitro motor, and it goes lean. those fail more quickly.

right now, we are heating a skillet, not the top of a piston.

my JL, which has 15k on the clock, and zero issues of any kind, came back from
overland expo via phoenix, at 1 pm on I-10, at 85 mph. air temp was 106.
ran that way for 200 miles without stopping.

it isn't the box, imho.
Sponsored