First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe that if Jeep knew what the problem was and how to fix it and were able to, then they’d do that. I believe that they either 1) haven’t made a definite determination of what’s causing the issue or 2) they know what’s causing it but don’t know how to fix it or 3) they know what’s causing it and how to fix it but for some reason are unable to implement the fix.
Sponsored

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that if Jeep knew what the problem was and how to fix it and were able to, then they’d do that. I believe that they either 1) haven’t made a definite determination of what’s causing the issue or 2) they know what’s causing it but don’t know how to fix it or 3) they know what’s causing it and how to fix it but for some reason are unable to implement the fix.
I really hope you're correct. By now, Jeep should be feverishly working on this issue because it's gotta be well beyond just a few outlier cases. This problem is as serious as any recall that I can recall. And being that JL production hasn't even completed yet, this problem is only going to become more widespread.

I just hope Jeep comes up with a fix ASAP-crack-a-lack. Delaying fixes and holding back recall info didn't work out too well for Volkswagen.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I don’t think this is power steering failure where you can still control the steering with more effort. What I’m reading is steering wheel lockup. Limited motion. Limited ability to control the vehicle if needed.

I saw Fight Club, too. Lol
Do you think that a loss of power steering could feel like a lockup? The effort level is significantly increased. I'm guessing that to the uninitiated that could feel like a lock up, when in reality with a little more effort they could still steer.

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you think that a loss of power steering could feel like a lockup? The effort level is significantly increased. I'm guessing that to the uninitiated that could feel like a lock up, when in reality with a little more effort they could still steer.
My concern would be that you don’t know when it unlocks. That extra effort could screw you if steering suddenly goes back to normal.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
It's a definite lock. Doesn't feel like loss of power steering.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m old enough to have driven without power steering. It’s not even remotely close to locking up. If that were the case than this wouldn’t be so big an issue.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
I’m old enough to have driven without power steering. It’s not even remotely close to locking up. If that were the case than this wouldn’t be so big an issue.
I was going to say that, but didn't want to give away my age, haha.

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
A big THANK YOU to those of you experiencing this intermittent steering lockup issue that have filed a formal safety complaint with the NHTSA.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 6.07.39 PM.png

Six (6) steering related complaints have been filed to date.

I hope there is a resolution to this issue soon so that y'all can finally feel safe and enjoy your new Jeeps!

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A big THANK YOU to those of you experiencing this intermittent steering lockup issue that have filed a formal safety complaint with the NHTSA.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 6.07.39 PM.png

Six (6) steering related complaints have been filed to date.

I hope there is a resolution to this issue soon so that y'all can finally feel safe and enjoy your new Jeeps!
Awesome. Should be noted that these complaints have been filed under the JL not the JLU, not sure how big of deal that is.

Sponsored

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
Awesome. Should be noted that these complaints have been filed under the JL not the JLU, not sure how big of deal that is.
@SixteenPaws is 100% correct. They have been filed under the JL vehicle. I totally missed that.

correct.png

Hopefully, with the VINs required to file the complaint the NHTSA will figure it out.

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@SixteenPaws is 100% correct. They have been filed under the JL vehicle. I totally missed that.

correct.png

Hopefully, with the VINs required to file the complaint the NHTSA will figure it out.
Yeah, I think for some reason everything is just

correct.png

I think it is their site, or something else is funky. It shows the JL as having 1 recall. If you click into it... the recall is for the JK.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Jeep gave the OP a new vehicle

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
No more updates from the OP since 4/27, that seem weird to anyone else?
Sponsored