Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I got my Jeep back last Saturday and had a hour plus drive to make in 90 degree weather. The dealer stated that the issue with my steering and Uconnect was a caused by the charge of my batteries below 80%. I got my car direct from factory in April so that triggers another concern as to how my batteries drained and not recharged. I'm not saying the charge fixed it, but I didn't experience the problem yesterday and it would have normally shown up in that scenario. It did however seem to fix the Uconnect, will keep you all updated.
Wow, it's a good thing batteries never go below 80% charge so that you'll never get this problem again, and nobody else will either.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Wow, it's a good thing batteries never go below 80% charge so that you'll never get this problem again, and nobody else will either.
I'm not convinced that it was the issue, but wanted the group to know what feedback I was getting.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I think there’s at least 20% BS in that explanation. But what do I know. Might just be a ramp up thing.

Sponsored

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Ok. Got my repaired Sahara back today. I drove it approximately 50 miles through winding roads in 90 degree plus heat and the steering was buttery smooth the entire time. The service tech and service manager also each spent another 50 miles driving it around yesterday and never felt even the slightest hitch in the steering.

Here is a description of the work they did from my service invoice:
“1801 power steering gear guard to turn left after case gets hot and then internal gears do not want to turn left. Diagnosis spent time with STAR assist, created STAR case. Per STAR, reconfigured BCM but problem was still present, STAR wanted a screen shot of current configuration level. This was not possible. STAR sent a copy of what they needed. I took a shot of every screen during configuration, none of them matched what they wanted. Called STAR again, they were able to confirm that after you do a reconfiguration, you do not have access to the current configuration as I had stated. No other cases in their database. Used stock unit vehicle as a source of test parts and data. Power steering pump commanded RPM was the sane turning left and right on the stock unit and this vehicle which led me to the possibility that it was not an electrical problem with the electric hydraulic pump. Using stock unit was able to swap steering column and shaft with no change to noise and feeling in wheel. Removed the top part of the column to move intermediate shaft by hand. Felt resistance left only. Reattached shaft. With wheel being turned back and forth to the left was able to feel vibration in steering. Removed steering shock, still present. Using hands to feel the source of the noise and vibration (which I felt was the resistance) located the source to be the steering gear box. When the gear box got hot from the engine heat, the new aluminum case would change the amount of turning force to the left, verified by loosening the adjustment screw for the turning torque. Updated STAR case with findings. Replaced steering gear box, retest system, no more binding on left turns.”

In talking to the service manager (who personally oversaw the repairs on my vehicle after experiencing the steering wheel lockup for himself), he believes that it was a manufacturing defect in the original steering gear box which led to the issue. Apparently, as soon as the tech had the new gear box installed he could tell that the problem was resolved before even taking the vehicle for a test drive.

So, if it was in fact a defective or incorrectly machined steering gearbox, the question is how many other gear bodies might have this same issue. Time will tell.

I will continue to monitor this thread and will post some progress updates as I put miles on the new gear box.
Nothajan - week and half later, would you say it's fixed?

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
Steering Gear Box - GEAR, Power Steering

68250506AC

$714

Unless there has been a design change, you might end up with another faulty steering box installed (if it turns out the gearbox is the problem).
68250506AC This is still a good number with no supersedence also currently back ordered.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To those that have had there Jeeps in for service for an extended period of time, did the dealer give you a loaner? I dropped mine off this past Thursday, I asked about a loaner, they said they would call Enterprise and they would take me there so I could rent a car from them. I asked if they would pay for the rental. He said to keep the receipt and turn it into to FCA for reimbursement. Is this normal? I’ve never had to go somewhere else for a car and then ask for reimbursement.

Have any of you had to do the same?
Its not required...... but frowned apon not to have loaner vehicles for your buying customers. Depending on the size of the dealer some larger dealers are required to have a designated amount of loaners.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Its not required...... but frowned apon not to have loaner vehicles for your buying customers. Depending on the size of the dealer some larger dealers are required to have a designated amount of loaners.
Jeep Informant!

Has there been any formal communication from FCA to its dealers regarding this steering lock problem? Are dealers still required to reproduce the problem?

Also, video request. Could you do a video on what’s involved in performing the dealer prep before customer takes delivery? There seems to be a lot of confusion on what the dealer is supposed to do after the JL gets unloaded on the dealer lot. Missing tool kits, owner’s manuals, loose fuses, locking lug nut with key on spare tire, front license plate mounts. Seeing the actual check list would be cool.

Sponsored

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright Im in! I wish I could get my hands on a JL that was experencing this binding issue. This is what I would try to confirm that the gear box is or isn't the problem. There is an adjustment on the gear box pinion. This increases or decrease the gap between the gear and the pinion of the gear box. If the problem is heat expanding the aluminum casing therefore moving the gear ever so slightly to cause binding. Just do the opposite of what we did in the old days. Loosen the steering box pinion out (looser) instead of tighten it up. If someone that is experiencing this concern and wants to let there dealer try this. It would be helpful to the Jeep community. Unfortunately I haven had one yet come in for this problem. if so this issue would be resolved.
FYI.....THERE ARE NO STAR CASES DOCUMENTED ON THE TECH SIDE. ONLY ON THE ENGINEERING SIDE. Your Dealership master tech needs to call in not just send a message that is worthless and a waist of time. HE MUST CALL AND PUSH FOR THE ANSWERS.!!

Is anyone getting any codes or lights on the dash when this happens???? A rule of thumb for a tech is that if there are no codes and all is well in the electrical system. Then the problem is mechanical. There has also been some cases of a bad ground behind the pass side headlight there are 2 major grounds there. 1 is the ground for the electrical PS pump. If this is the problem there would be codes associated with it. Also this would not cause a popping sensation, just no power steering.

Let me know hat you think. Hope this helps. I don't want to see anyone hurt.

nothajan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2105 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Nothajan - week and half later, would you say it's fixed?
It still feels good. I have been traveling a lot for work and haven’t driven it daily but have put a decent amount of miles on it (most of it in near 100 degree temps). Not a single hitch to speak of.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Informant!

Has there been any formal communication from FCA to its dealers regarding this steering lock problem? Are dealers still required to reproduce the problem?

Also, video request. Could you do a video on what’s involved in performing the dealer prep before customer takes delivery? There seems to be a lot of confusion on what the dealer is supposed to do after the JL gets unloaded on the dealer lot. Missing tool kits, owner’s manuals, loose fuses, locking lug nut with key on spare tire, front license plate mounts. Seeing the actual check list would be cool.
Jeepsterfreak, NO official doc yet on this issue. I would say no they wouldn't need to duplicate but they would need a viable reason to replace it. Maybe if you had a video with proof. They just can't go and start replacing everyones gear box. Also they are on back order now. So that tells me that there is clearly a problem going on. I check daily for official docs. Yes, I would be more than happy to do a pre delivery inspection. I will need to make sure the documents doesn't have any legal jargon that doesn't allow me to post. give me about a week or so. Thanks.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Gee, I hope nobody drives off a cliff or into oncoming traffic in the time it takes to fill those back orders.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Gee, I hope nobody drives off a cliff or into oncoming traffic in the time it takes to fill those back orders.
Have to wonder how many complaints are piling up at FCA dealers and how wide spread the problem is to cause the parts to be backordered. Pure speculation, but maybe FCA is holding back the inventory until the parts can be inspected? Hopefully the parts being used during assembly of new models is good. Maybe Jeep already made an update to the gearbox or identified out of spec units and plan to replenish inventory with these newer units? It will be interesting if we ever learn the truth behind the problem and how many units are affected. I guess we have to wait for an official TSB, recall or insider information.
Sponsored