Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

Gibby

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I literally just got home from buying a Sahara. It has major steering issues and wanders back and forth while driving on every road at any speed. It was so fatiguing just driving on a calm 55 MPH highway. I am worn out. So, now my research begins with how exactly this gets fixed.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sorry to hear that. Did you test drive it before purchase?

Seems like every JL needs to be test drove for at least an hour to test steering and electrical to make sure it doesn’t throw any codes. Probably a good idea to seat all the fuses before the test drive.

Multiple reports of clicking noises apparently from loose ball joints? Might this be contributing to wandering issues?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-noise-when-turning.9713/#post-230606

Last edited:

Gibby

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Sorry to hear that. Did you test drive it before purchase?

Seems like every JL needs to be test drove for at least an hour to test steering and electrical to make sure it doesn’t throw any codes. Probably a good idea to seat all the fuses before the test drive.
Yes, I drove it about 3 miles at up to 45 MPH. It wandered a bit, but as soon as it's up to about 50 MPH+, it's much much worse. I live an hour and a half from where I bought. I just sent the dealer an email and will read up on how to get this fixed. I guess I should have seriously considered the Grand Cherokee I also test drove.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks for your report. It should help others during their test drive to be sure they get it up to highway speed to thoroughly test steering.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I literally just got home from buying a Sahara. It has major steering issues and wanders back and forth while driving on every road at any speed. It was so fatiguing just driving on a calm 55 MPH highway. I am worn out. So, now my research begins with how exactly this gets fixed.

Be sure to check tire pressure. Shipping pressure is over inflated and might cause that.

kdkns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I had same issue and reducing to 36 psi cold tire pressure helped significantly. I still have an alignment or steering issue but it wanders much less than before.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That does sound like the same issue as described here. There’s another thread about “steering is loose and drifts.” Lowering tire pressure is said to help.

That said, folks are fixing their loose steering by adjusting the steering box. This thread with the lockup also points to steering box.

Combine the two issues, and hmmmm.

I predict a steering box recall, eventually. Hopefully it doesn’t take accidents, injuries, and deaths to get that ball moving.

Anyway, sorry you’re having an issue. :-/

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
To those that have had there Jeeps in for service for an extended period of time, did the dealer give you a loaner? I dropped mine off this past Thursday, I asked about a loaner, they said they would call Enterprise and they would take me there so I could rent a car from them. I asked if they would pay for the rental. He said to keep the receipt and turn it into to FCA for reimbursement. Is this normal? I’ve never had to go somewhere else for a car and then ask for reimbursement.

Have any of you had to do the same?

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Sound like promising someone else will do that which self won’t provide.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
To those that have had there Jeeps in for service for an extended period of time, did the dealer give you a loaner? I dropped mine off this past Thursday, but they told me If I needed a car, they would call Enterprise and they would take me there so I could rent a car from them. I asked if they would pay for the rental. He said to keep the receipt and turn it into to FCA for reimbursement. Is this normal? I’ve never had to go somewhere else for a car and then ask for reimbursement.

Have any of you had to do the same?
A good dealership will give you another Jeep on the lot as a loaner. They're making you a promise that someone else will do something.

"If I needed a car"... A lot of dealerships seem to straight up assume people don't even need their overpriced Jeeps for... transportation??

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Does the dealership let you test drive your custom order before actually handing them the check for it? I want to.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Does the dealership let you test drive your custom order before actually handing them the check for it? I want to.
Not only am I driving it but having a mechanic evaluate it. Looking for signs of repairs due to damage. Yes. New vehicles get into accidents prior to delivery. Dealers do repairs and don’t tell you. Check for undercarriage rust. I bough a new car that had that. Why now I check them thoroughly. Check for bad welds. Check everything before signing on the dotted line. Check everything before taking delivery. Once you go it’s a battle to correct anything. Including this steering issue which likely can’t be evaluated before you sign and go so might as well eliminate the low hanging fruit and keeps those fingers crossed driving 55 on hot days.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did anyone reach out to outlets like TFL or Jalopnik on this yet?

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I got my Jeep back last Saturday and had a hour plus drive to make in 90 degree weather. The dealer stated that the issue with my steering and Uconnect was a caused by the charge of my batteries below 80%. I got my car direct from factory in April so that triggers another concern as to how my batteries drained and not recharged. I'm not saying the charge fixed it, but I didn't experience the problem yesterday and it would have normally shown up in that scenario. It did however seem to fix the Uconnect, will keep you all updated.
Sponsored