Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Here's another video of my GREATEST HITS! Just happened today. These videos just makes themselves! Sorry for the language.
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Cant believe you are still willing to drive it. Time to lawyer up and have them get you a new Jeep while they figure out their problems on their time.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Cant believe you are still willing to drive it. Time to lawyer up and have them get you a new Jeep while they figure out their problems on their time.
+1

Continuing to drive it actually weakens your case as they will just say that if you really thought it was a problem, you would have parked it.

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
This is extremely disconcerting, and it makes me worried about my Jeep (which was in the "trim" stage, last I checked). I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for new JL owners with this problem -- or the countless owners who could potentially have this problem.

The complaints are stacking up on NHTSA. Does NHTSA even do anything with them? Is there any accountability at FCA? Does Jeep Cares care? In this thread I've read about some dealership techs and FCA engineers doing this or that, but they seem to be doing different things to different Jeeps with the same problem.

Why aren't we receiving any real answers? Does anyone know if anything is being done differently (i.e., parts, design, software?) on the JLs being built right now?

This is one of the reasons why I'm so leery about new technologies like push-button start and ESS. It's like they're building cars so complex these days -- unnecessarily -- that they can't even figure out how to repair them when something goes wrong.

I've purchased many brand-new cars before, and all of them have had issues and recalls. But this steering problem is rather serious, and it's putting a huge black cloud over my excitement of owning a new Jeep (my first). In fact, I'm no longer looking forward to picking it up once it's delivered, as I worry I'll just have to immediately bring it back in, only to have it sit in purgatory while engineers try to figure out what's wrong with their bad design and/or software.

I've expressed these concerns with my salesperson, but he just says, "Oh, they've probably fixed the problem on the new builds ..." But I need a more concrete answer than that, especially after dropping 40 Gs.

Sponsored

nothajan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2105 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Ok. Got my repaired Sahara back today. I drove it approximately 50 miles through winding roads in 90 degree plus heat and the steering was buttery smooth the entire time. The service tech and service manager also each spent another 50 miles driving it around yesterday and never felt even the slightest hitch in the steering.

Here is a description of the work they did from my service invoice:
“1801 power steering gear guard to turn left after case gets hot and then internal gears do not want to turn left. Diagnosis spent time with STAR assist, created STAR case. Per STAR, reconfigured BCM but problem was still present, STAR wanted a screen shot of current configuration level. This was not possible. STAR sent a copy of what they needed. I took a shot of every screen during configuration, none of them matched what they wanted. Called STAR again, they were able to confirm that after you do a reconfiguration, you do not have access to the current configuration as I had stated. No other cases in their database. Used stock unit vehicle as a source of test parts and data. Power steering pump commanded RPM was the sane turning left and right on the stock unit and this vehicle which led me to the possibility that it was not an electrical problem with the electric hydraulic pump. Using stock unit was able to swap steering column and shaft with no change to noise and feeling in wheel. Removed the top part of the column to move intermediate shaft by hand. Felt resistance left only. Reattached shaft. With wheel being turned back and forth to the left was able to feel vibration in steering. Removed steering shock, still present. Using hands to feel the source of the noise and vibration (which I felt was the resistance) located the source to be the steering gear box. When the gear box got hot from the engine heat, the new aluminum case would change the amount of turning force to the left, verified by loosening the adjustment screw for the turning torque. Updated STAR case with findings. Replaced steering gear box, retest system, no more binding on left turns.”

In talking to the service manager (who personally oversaw the repairs on my vehicle after experiencing the steering wheel lockup for himself), he believes that it was a manufacturing defect in the original steering gear box which led to the issue. Apparently, as soon as the tech had the new gear box installed he could tell that the problem was resolved before even taking the vehicle for a test drive.

So, if it was in fact a defective or incorrectly machined steering gearbox, the question is how many other gear bodies might have this same issue. Time will tell.

I will continue to monitor this thread and will post some progress updates as I put miles on the new gear box.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Ok. Got my repaired Sahara back today. I drove it approximately 50 miles through winding roads in 90 degree plus heat and the steering was buttery smooth the entire time. The service tech and service manager also each spent another 50 miles driving it around yesterday and never felt even the slightest hitch in the steering.

“1801 power steering gear guard to turn left after case gets hot and then internal gears do not want to turn left. Diagnosis spent time with STAR assist, created STAR case. Per STAR, reconfigured BCM but problem was still present, STAR wanted a screen shot of current configuration level. This was not possible. STAR sent a copy of what they needed. I took a shot of every screen during configuration, none of them matched what they wanted. Called STAR again, they were able to confirm that after you do a reconfiguration, you do not have access to the current configuration as I had stated. No other cases in their database. Used stock unit vehicle as a source of test parts and data. Power steering pump commanded RPM was the sane turning left and right on the stock unit and this vehicle which led me to the possibility that it was not an electrical problem with the electric hydraulic pump. Using stock unit was able to swap steering column and shaft with no change to noise and feeling in wheel. Removed the top part of the column to move intermediate shaft by hand. Felt resistance left only. Reattached shaft. With wheel being turned back and forth to the left was able to feel vibration in steering. Removed steering shock, still present. Using hands to feel the source of the noise and vibration (which I felt was the resistance) located the source to be the steering gear box. When the gear box got hot from the engine heat, the new aluminum case would change the amount of turning force to the left, verified by loosening the adjustment screw for the turning torque. Updated STAR case with findings. Replaced steering gear box, retest system, no more binding on left turns.”

In talking to the service manager (who personally oversaw the repairs on my vehicle after experiencing the steering wheel lockup for himself), he believes that it was a manufacturing defect in the original steering gear box which led to the issue. Apparently, as soon as the tech had the new gear box installed he could tell that the problem was resolved before even taking the vehicle for a test drive.

So, if it was in fact a defective or incorrectly machined steering gearbox, the question is how many other gear bodies might have this same issue. Time will tell.

I will continue to monitor this thread and will post some progress updates as I put miles on the new gear box.
It sounds like you got a really good tech! You owe him a beer, for sure.

Thank you for updating us on your outcome. I'm sure we're all anxious to see if a new steering box will resolve others' issue, as well; I know I am. (I'm also hopeful that what you all are hitting is a manufacturing defect and not a design defect.)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@nothajan thanks so much for sharing this information. It’s a shit-ton more useful than folks posting to not worry about it until it happens and just enjoy your Jeep. It’s great that your service team at the dealership went the extra mile to actually find out what the cause of the problem is and fix it. If they’re sure that a new steering gearbox cured it, then maybe FCA can get busy with determining how many defective units they installed and start a recall to get them replaced before a disaster happens.

Thanks to all of you dealing with this that filed NHTSA complaints and stayed on the dealership techs and didn’t accept “it’s just a Jeep thing” as an answer. :clap:

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another video of my GREATEST HITS! Just happened today. These videos just makes themselves! Sorry for the language.
I was starting to see your point in all of this but driving the jeep in that condition, KNOWING that the failure is present is putting, not only yourself, but also others at risk of danger. That's just dumb. You should be ashamed. Quit driving it...what are you trying to prove? You already have video.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
+1

Continuing to drive it actually weakens your case as they will just say that if you really thought it was a problem, you would have parked it.
Just so you all know, after today, I'm demanding they take the Jeep in. It is a danger and if they don't, I'll take it to the next dealer. Yes, not very smart, I realized it more than ever!

Jeep Cares is pointless in my opinion. I've contacted them three times for help, none given! I am filing a complaint with my Attorney General. Already gave more info to NHTSA on this issue with dealer and FCA.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you all know, after today, I'm demanding they take the Jeep in. It is a danger and if they don't, I'll take it to the next dealer. Yes, not very smart, I realized it more than ever!

Jeep Cares is pointless in my opinion. I've contacted them three times for help, none given! I am filing a complaint with my Attorney General. Already gave more info to NHTSA on this issue with dealer and FCA.
Good for you. I hope you're issue comes to a resolve, as well as a fix for all affected.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite

Sounds like you just need a new steering gear box, hopefully you dont get too much runaround

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you just need a new steering gear box, hopefully you dont get too much runaround
After nothajan’s update, I feel a little better. Now the real question is, whether my dealer is privy to this and will move forward with it. They don’t seem very receptive to taking suggestions from me.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
After nothajan’s update, I feel a little better. Now the real question is, whether my dealer is privy to this and will move forward with it. They don’t seem very receptive to taking suggestions from me.
Maybe if you take some printouts in and say in a calm voice that others have had their issues fixed they will agree...dealers are the worst I know

Last edited:

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR

From Jeep Informant's YouTube channel ...

Sponsored

Last edited: