Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Keep in mind that the 1" more lift of the 4xe is only applicable to spacer lifts. Lifts that swap springs won't have this issue as you're swapping out the part that causes the 1" lift. That said, spring lifts not designed for the 4xe probably will be (read as "will definitely be") not the same result as a non-4xe.
Sponsored

eLECTRICON

I have a Teraflex 3.5" lift. No issues at all. Did hells gate/revenge in Moab in all electric mode.
Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe 4xe2

eLECTRICON

Let me preface by saying I called Teraflex before purchasing their ST1-1 spacer lift and was given the green light to install on my 4xe

Seems since the 4xe is lifted about 1" higher than non 4xe (at least the Rubicon) even a small 1.5" spacer lift requires longer Swaybar links. Here is the back story. I installed the Teraflex ST1 1.5" lift (2" front and 1.5" rear) then ordered the Fox 2.0 shocks for 2" lift extended shocks (as recommended by Northridge). When installing the rear shocks I discovered that when I jacked up the rear to align and get the shock in the lower sleeve I noticed the Swaybar preventing the shock from swinging into the sleeve. So I had to lower the Wrangler down and then muscle the shock in. However if say I need to change the tire or even likely go to full articulation the sway bar will rest on the shock body well before the tire leaves the ground. This is a major problem as the weight on the sway bar could dent the shock body in extreme conditions or even changing a rear tire. Clearly with the added 1" stock lift addition on the 4XE makes that 1.5" lift a 2.5: lift (3" front and 2.5" rear) which does require longer sway bar links on a non 4xe. Here is how I found this out and is easy not to see.

This could easily be over looked as Shocks come compressed with a strap around them you want to try and install the shocks with that strap in place otherwise the shock will extend and it is a bitch to get it compressed enough to fit. So I had one shock where the strap came off prior to installation so I jacked the Wrangler up extra high to extend the distance to help get that shock in the sleeve. but it would not fit because the sway bar was resting against holding the shock about 2" away from the sleeve. Bottom line order (2-2,5" longer) new swaybar links for any lift 1" or more on the 4xe.

The Sway bar should only be at a 10-15 degree angle mine is about 27 degrees in this picture this is with full weight on it

I just spoke to Teraflex they are now saying they do not endorse their lifts on the 4xe and probably will not for a couple months. I called them to discuss this problem as well as find out status of longer sway bar links for which they have NO idea when they will have any for sale (they are on indefinite backorder it appears). Frustrating as I called Teraflex prior to installing my lift and they said no problem will work just fine. Now they are saying that the 4xe is a whole different animal and is going to require quite some time in R&D before they have a lift spacer or spring for the 4xe. With that said this is an easy fix just add longer sway bar links, problem with that all the manufactures are out of them with No supply in sight... I Suggested that Teraflex put a warning on their kit regarding this issue with the 4xe but they did not seem to interested in that. So this is my WARNING.

problem now is I lift installed and cannot go off road, cannot even change a tire without removing shocks first.

rear shock.jpg
These will work for you.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-sway-bar-end-link-wrangler-jl-mopar-lift-68306982AA
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-sway-bar-end-link-wrangler-jl-mopar-lift-68306981AA
or return the 1.5 and get this instead.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/teraflex/2-5-inch-performance-spacer-lift-kit-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JKUR 4XE, Cyber Truck (on order...)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Teraflex 3.5" lift. No issues at all. Did hells gate/revenge in Moab in all electric mode.
Ohhh - tell us about your all electric experience out in Moab!!!

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind that the 1" more lift of the 4xe is only applicable to spacer lifts. Lifts that swap springs won't have this issue as you're swapping out the part that causes the 1" lift. That said, spring lifts not designed for the 4xe probably will be (read as "will definitely be") not the same result as a non-4xe.
Thanks however I already ordered those links last week they were back ordered then. I would and go to 37's except we will pulling behind a Diesel pusher trying to keep the weight down pushing 6000lbs as it is.

Sponsored

akm313

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
With your Teraflex 3.5 inch lift, how much lift did you actually get considering the 4xe weighs 700 pounds more?

eLECTRICON

With your Teraflex 3.5 inch lift, how much lift did you actually get considering the 4xe weighs 700 pounds more?
4". I used my stock rubicon springs and 3" spacers in stead of the teraflex springs. When they get 4xe rated springs, ill swap them.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
4". I used my stock rubicon springs and 3" spacers in stead of the teraflex springs. When they get 4xe rated springs, ill swap them.
Using the stock springs doesn’t that affect the ride quality since the springs wouldn’t be tall enough?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We need longer sway bar lengths with any lift over 1" in my opinion. Even the budget 2" kits come with longer rear sway links and have you move the rears to the front at install. Teraflex should know this and let 392, 4xe, and XR customers know they need longer links. It's a minor issue if you're informed before install, but puts the customer in a bind when they find it after installing. Personally I'd disconnect the sway bar and zip tie it up out of the way until I got longer end links. At least that way you can wheel, drive, or change a tire without damaging a shock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We need longer sway bar lengths with any lift over 1" in my opinion. Even the budget 2" kits come with longer rear sway links and have you move the rears to the front at install. Teraflex should know this and let 392, 4xe, and XR customers know they need longer links. It's a minor issue if you're informed before install, but puts the customer in a bind when they find it after installing. Personally I'd disconnect the sway bar and zip tie it up out of the way until I got longer end links. At least that way you can wheel, drive, or change a tire without damaging a shock.
You are dead on. When I installed the teraflex 2" with Fox Shocks, at about 3/4 flex the sway bar wo,d com in contact with the Shock body. So ordered the Mopar 11" links problem solved. Also really should add adjustable lower front control arm and track bar for proper geometry.

As you can see the stock sway bar has too much down angle...

Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe rear shock

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You are dead on. When I installed the teraflex 2" with Fox Shocks, at about 3/4 flex the sway bar wo,d com in contact with the Shock body. So ordered the Mopar 11" links problem solved. Also really should add adjustable lower front control arm and track bar for proper geometry.

As you can see the stock sway bar has too much down angle...

rear shock.jpg
Just a note for the future, with the Mopar rear end links, the problem replicates again at about 30" extended.

It's actually saving my parking brake lines right now. Anyone figure out how to extend those?

Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe 1644264089355

Edit: May as well throw in the limits of the front Mopar end links. This is 28.43" extended length, any longer and It's probably a good idea to add longer links to prevent sway bar inversion:
Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe 1644265995513

Last edited:

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Just a note for the future, with the Mopar rear end links, the problem replicates again at about 30" extended.

It's actually saving my parking brake lines right now. Anyone figure out how to extend those?

Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe 1644265995513

Edit: May as well throw in the limits of the front Mopar end links. This is 28.43" extended length, any longer and It's probably a good idea to add longer links to prevent sway bar inversion:
I do not but wanted to through out there that the ive had the MC 2.5" lift on for almost a week now and it is flawless!

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I do not but wanted to through out there that the ive had the MC 2.5" lift on for almost a week now and it is flawless!
You need to take a closer look there is NO way around this with any lift over 1.5" the sway bar will contact the passenger rear shock when articulated and will likely damage the shock. Fine on road but a major offroad issue. Does not matter what brand of lift. You 2.5" lift on the 4xe is like a 3.5" on the JLUR. ALso when you go that high on a 4xe you need to conser a longer drive shaft if you plan any heavy off road use.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Rocksports? I think those are 30" extended so you're dead on where I'm maxing out the parking brake. Without the sway bar, I've got another almost 2" to go on my rear shocks and that's where I'm maxing out the parking brake.
You need to take a closer look there is NO way around this with any lift over 1.5" the sway bar will contact the passenger rear shock when articulated and will likely damage the shock. Fine on road but a major offroad issue. Does not matter what brand of lift. You 2.5" lift on the 4xe is like a 3.5" on the JLUR. ALso when you go that high on a 4xe you need to conser a longer drive shaft if you plan any heavy off road use.
The MC lift comes with extended rear sway bar links.
Sponsored