Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Let me preface by saying I called Teraflex before purchasing their ST1-1 spacer lift and was given the green light to install on my 4xe

Seems since the 4xe is lifted about 1" higher than non 4xe (at least the Rubicon) even a small 1.5" spacer lift requires longer Swaybar links. Here is the back story. I installed the Teraflex ST1 1.5" lift (2" front and 1.5" rear) then ordered the Fox 2.0 shocks for 2" lift extended shocks (as recommended by Northridge). When installing the rear shocks I discovered that when I jacked up the rear to align and get the shock in the lower sleeve I noticed the Swaybar preventing the shock from swinging into the sleeve. So I had to lower the Wrangler down and then muscle the shock in. However if say I need to change the tire or even likely go to full articulation the sway bar will rest on the shock body well before the tire leaves the ground. This is a major problem as the weight on the sway bar could dent the shock body in extreme conditions or even changing a rear tire. Clearly with the added 1" stock lift addition on the 4XE makes that 1.5" lift a 2.5: lift (3" front and 2.5" rear) which does require longer sway bar links on a non 4xe. Here is how I found this out and is easy not to see.

This could easily be over looked as Shocks come compressed with a strap around them you want to try and install the shocks with that strap in place otherwise the shock will extend and it is a bitch to get it compressed enough to fit. So I had one shock where the strap came off prior to installation so I jacked the Wrangler up extra high to extend the distance to help get that shock in the sleeve. but it would not fit because the sway bar was resting against holding the shock about 2" away from the sleeve. Bottom line order (2-2,5" longer) new swaybar links for any lift 1" or more on the 4xe.

The Sway bar should only be at a 10-15 degree angle mine is about 27 degrees in this picture this is with full weight on it

I just spoke to Teraflex they are now saying they do not endorse their lifts on the 4xe and probably will not for a couple months. I called them to discuss this problem as well as find out status of longer sway bar links for which they have NO idea when they will have any for sale (they are on indefinite backorder it appears). Frustrating as I called Teraflex prior to installing my lift and they said no problem will work just fine. Now they are saying that the 4xe is a whole different animal and is going to require quite some time in R&D before they have a lift spacer or spring for the 4xe. With that said this is an easy fix just add longer sway bar links, problem with that all the manufactures are out of them with No supply in sight... I Suggested that Teraflex put a warning on their kit regarding this issue with the 4xe but they did not seem to interested in that. So this is my WARNING.

problem now is I lift installed and cannot go off road, cannot even change a tire without removing shocks first.

Jeep Wrangler JL Major issue with 4xe lifts... Teraflex and others on 4xe rear shock
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I need to get under mine and see what it looks like. I wonder if the 2.5 spacer lift sway bars are good enough.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Watch for the Mopar rear sways ("for 2" lift") at least for the time being - they might be in stock somewhere. And then I believe you can move the stock rears to the front for the time being.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I need to get under mine and see what it looks like. I wonder if the 2.5 spacer lift sway bars are good enough.

The Problem is when a lift is installed the shocks are disconnected before the axle is dropped and re connected once the axle is raised so you would not see this problem on a lift install. The way to find out is jack the rear one side at a time ant watch how close the sway bar gets to the shock body and eventually they will contact likely before the tire lift off the ground. Again I found this by accident when installing new shock 3 weeks after installing lift. So glad I found this otherwise could have been a disaster on the trail. The natural position of the sway bar should be 10%-15% angle to the Link mime is at 27% way too much that is the other way to tell.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Watch for the Mopar rear sways ("for 2" lift") at least for the time being - they might be in stock somewhere. And then I believe you can move the stock rears to the front for the time being.
Mopar is out of stock I did order a full set of their sway bar links, actually fronts are in stock 11" rears are not and on back order.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
With what you are reporting, I am not impressed with Teraflex's attitude.

These are expensive vehicles, Teraflex needs to up their game and be transparent about their accessories and fitment limitations.

I will be steering clear from the Falcon shocks I wanted to order from Teraflex.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
With what you are reporting, I am not impressed with Teraflex's attitude.

These are expensive vehicles, Teraflex needs to up their game and be transparent about their accessories and fitment limitations.

I will be steering clear from the Falcon shocks I wanted to order from Teraflex.
Look Teraflex told me the ST1 was fine to install on the 4xe they did not anticipate any issue. I understand that. My issue was when I called them they had little interest in the issue I am having. I even suggested they warn against using their lift on a 4xe because of this issue. Again you would not this problem exist when installing the lift. They did not seem interested in my story and issue just saying now they DO NOT recommend their lifts for 4xe and will not have a resolution for a few months. Look this is not rocket science i did a 1.5" lift with stock springs on a 4xe that has a extra inch built in. Looks like even with this small lift we will need longer links, new Tack bar recommended and even LCA's. A Spacer lift is no longer quite so easy. There is there are these revelations. Watch the video at 8-min

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Look Teraflex told me the ST1 was fine to install on the 4xe they did not anticipate any issue. I understand that. My issue was when I called them they had little interest in the issue I am having. I even suggested they warn against using their lift on a 4xe because of this issue. Again you would not this problem exist when installing the lift. They did not seem interested in my story and issue just saying now they DO NOT recommend their lifts for 4xe and will not have a resolution for a few months. Look this is not rocket science i did a 1.5" lift with stock springs on a 4xe that has a extra inch built in. Looks like even with this small lift we will need longer links, new Tack bar recommended and even LCA's. A Spacer lift is no longer quite so easy. There is there are these revelations. Watch the video at 8-min

So I guess another question is do you think Mopar missed this too and just OKd their Mopar 2" lift without thinking of this? In other words am I going to have this same problem on the Mopar lift?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So I guess another question is do you think Mopar missed this too and just OKd their Mopar 2" lift without thinking of this? In other words am I going to have this same problem on the Mopar lift?

Good question, I assume the video does not lie it seems very clear. Is the Mopar lift higher than 2" (as it has been in the past)? The Mopar lift does provide longer sway bar links so that problem in averted.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Metal Cloak seem perfect for a 2.5" lift and the Mopar 11" for the 1.5"
The Teraflex 2.5 kit comes with 11.5 front and 10.25 rear sway links.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Teraflex 2.5 kit comes with 11.5 front and 10.25 rear sway links.
Then you are golden, except for that shaft issue in the Epic 4x4 video. Are you adding shocks also?
Sponsored