Sponsored

Maintenance on a Wrangler for Longetivity?

robert5150

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hi everyone, I have a 2023 Willys Sport on order, and I have a few questions on short and long-term maintenance, since this is my first (and possibly only) brand new vehicle, and I would like to make it last as long as possible.

I am well aware that a Wrangler may not be the best choice in long-term reliability, but after years of driving beater Chevy Cavalier and Ford Taurus- type of vehicles, I want something "cool", and I didn't want to buy a 2023 Toyota Camry or something.

This Wrangler really won't see off-roading- it's a daily driver, and I live in a rural-ish type of area (further out than the suburbs, but not quite farmland).

I am getting the 3.6L engine with the auto trans. I know some engines are known for their issues- anything like that on the 3.6? Is a 5k oil change interval with synthetic oil a good plan for a daily driver in "suburban" type of driving conditions?

How are these engines to change the oil on yourself? I have read that the oil filters are put on very tightly from the factory. Any special tools needed for oil changes? My Chevy Cobalt takes a special socket for the cartridges-style filter, but as far as I know, the 3.6 Wrangler have a traditional metal canister filter, right?

Spark plugs, coolant changes, air filters, etc, can I basically follow the owner's manual for those intervals?

How about the transmission- fluid changes every 30k, 50k, 100k? I know "lifetime" fluid pretty means "until the warranty is up"

For the axles, I know that most of the break-in wear/debris happens in the first few thousand miles. Is a change at about 5k ok to get the junk out, and then every 50k or so sound good?

Are there any known preventative maintenance items on the JL Wranglers? For example, some generations of Dodge Ram trucks were known for weak transmissions, and it was recommended to change the trans fluid every 30k, some Toyota engines were known to make sludge if you followed the recommended oil change intervals, so people would cut the interval in half, things like that- is there anything like that on the JL Wranglers, especially the 3.6l engine?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

ColtSeevers

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl
Cartridge filter up top. 24mm socket takes the cap right off. Change the filter and o ring. Oil change is easy. Don't even need a jack. Haven't got enough miles to need to do anything rlse on mine yet.

Deleted member 59498

You can download the manual it has the complete recommended service. Not sure if the 2023 is out there yet but 22 should answer many of your questions.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Follow the intervals in the owners manual, and use good quality oil. The oil change is easy but you might have to buy the right socket for the cap on top.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
I’ve got a 2019 JLUR with the 3.6L engine and 8 speed auto. I have 50k on the odometer and it runs like a champ. I do all my own maintenance and their intervals before the manuals say to. I’m very detailed and particular when it comes to my Jeep. You will like the combo you ordered. As folks stated make sure you at least stick to the maintenance manual and type fluids etc when it comes to the intervals. Pretty easy to work on and when/if you have questions you have this forum with a lot of smart folks who can help.

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
You are right on target in the original post.

50k on the trans.

Transfer case and axles after break in. 50k thereafter.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Don't overtighten the filter cap they can be prone to cracking also oil the O rings prior to install. I did plugs on my previous 2018 JL and left bank was easy but you need to take the upper manifold off to do the right bank as the plugs sit underneath don't forget the gaskets for the manifold for reassembly. Lastly, the oils used in the diff's are specific for each vehicle depending on which set up you have.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Avoid the dealership "service" dept. My Ram 1500 went for 15 years on that plan- traded it for a Gladiator.
Sponsored