Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I like to hear about older people out enjoying their jeeps ...
I'm 63 and love mine..
I am 62 and started late loving Jeeps. If my son hadn't gotten his Jeep I doubt I would of. I can now call myself a Jeeper. :rock::jk:
Sponsored

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I would love to move to a mountain cabin with snow and cold weather most of the time. I cannot do it because my wife has health issues that make cold weather hard on her. I have always been cold weather lover. I have since retired early and over time grown fond of not being around too many people. lol I will have to google Old Hillwalker soon. Take Care!!!
Not this much snow I trust......
Jeep Wrangler JL Maine to Alaska in a JL - NOT  7860 miles anyway (PT1) IMG_0118.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maine to Alaska in a JL - NOT  7860 miles anyway (PT1) IMG_0119.JPG

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are these you?

Old Hillwalker - YouTube
Jeep Wrangler JL Maine to Alaska in a JL - NOT  7860 miles anyway (PT1) IMG_0119.JPG
https://m.youtube.com › user › samohtw1 › videos

Old Hillwalker · Honda on Tracks round 2 Feb 12 2012 · Colonel Holman Mtn Loop from my house Feb 18, 2012 · Tracked ATV Snow Ride Loop Feb 10 2021.
Uploads from Old Hillwalker - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com › playlist

Uploads from Old Hillwalker · Honda on Tracks round 2 Feb 12 2012 · Colonel Holman Mtn Loop from my house Feb 18, 2012 · Tracked ATV Snow Ride Loop Feb ...
Yes, That's me. Six summers in hiking in Western Scotland, six more summers walking the 500+ mile Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage route from France into Spain. Retired from the US Army in 1978, and from everything else in 2009. Life is good 😎

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more question. I met an older gentleman at the Dealership here in DFW who I am friends with them. I was there picking up my Rubicon I had ordered early this year. My friend had known him for sometime doing work on his Jeep. That day he had installed his Hi-lo jack to his hood. This man had told stories of Jeeping across the country and even the world. He was about 80 years old and had 2 door Jeep. This wouldn't of been you would it? lol Never know these days.
Nope, not me. However I would have liked to meet him.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, not me. However I would have liked to meet him.
He talked to us for maybe hour. Told us stories. He has been Jeeper all his life. He was very cool.

datpmfp

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Altitude
Just drove down from AK last week, here is some advice ( take it or leave it)

1) Get the Mile Post if don't have it already. Or PM I can share it with you since they gave me a digital copy. It's the Bible for navigating the Alaskan highway from British Columbia all the way to Delta Junction

2) you have two choices North and South bound. Cassiar and the Alaskan highway - take the Alaskan highway up (super scenic as you push up through BC to Yukon you go from farm land to gorgeous mountain ranges) and Cassiar back down (two words - Jurrasic Park, words can't describe the views as I skirted the coast line, it was unreal and at times I was the only one on the road for 10 miles).

3)The Alaskan highway is friendly and calm when you first start at mile zero but it gets really sketchy when you make it to destruction bay, then calms down. Around Dawson before the Alaskan border is where it gets squirrel again just for a bit.

4) don't buy into those crazy stories from YouTube about almost dying. They are just exaggerating for more views. Just drive slow let those busy truckers passand enjoy the scenery

5) I had two Jerry 5 gal cans for fuel..... Never touched them. Again another myth. There plenty of gas stations. The two furthest gas stations I saw were 80 mi apart. I recommend taking one just for your peace of mind

6) if you choose the Cassiar it is about 600 miles with no service, I trust you are handy with a map because you are seasoned. I'm younger and depend on GPS. It's real neat stopping and talking with the locals they don't have service and only few towns have internet. It felt like I was back in the 80s it was refreshing. I remember seeing kids on bycicles and hanging out in front of the gas station.

7) download iOverlander app, shows you secret spots where you can boondocks camp along rivers and other spots in BC and Yukon. Some campsites are kind of scary, go on Google reviews and do research for the safer/quality ones.

8) bear spray

That's all I can think of for now, let me know if you got any questions

datpmfp

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Altitude
9) also bug spray for mosquitos. Yukon territory into Alaska is the stage for a plague and those skeeters are the main attraction. I know there is great debate about which state has the worst mosquitos but I challenge anyone to make this trip and I guarantee you will be convinced there is no competition.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This adventure page is missing a whole lot pics.... hehe :)

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Congratulations, Tom. This looks like a great trip!

I mounted our RTT to a trailer this summer and we love everything about. At a certain age, the novelty of crawling down a ladder in the middle of the night to pee starts to lose its appeal...

bkxWgMF.jpg

OC_1964

First Name
Beryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Great information and story. The COVID restriction has delayed our summer schedule event, possible to go in Oct, will have to wait and see what the status of the NWT is. From what I have read, even if Canada is open, the NWT has their own guidelines, that aren’t aligned together.

Not as old as you, did my 30+ years and retired this year. My 8 year old, has got my traveling bug and is looking forward to the trip.

I’ll have to PM for the digital copy of the Mile Post, several have referenced as the “go to” knowledge base for this adventure.

As for the military campgrounds, several personnel reside at the campgrounds to collect the BAH and use as a payment for their rigs or pocket the extra funds as the campground is much less expensive than living out in town and is faster to get to the office as the offbase traffic sucks, at least here @ the Norfolk base it takes hours to get on the base on certain days.
Sponsored