Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Here's what I did, I already had the 67D stuff when I set this up.

wireless charging magsafe setup
Thank you for that; another option to consider. Any chance you'd measure the space between your 67D rail and the front of the bin? Instead of just having a cord coming through like you did, I'm considering adding one of these like a guy did in this thread, but I'm wondering if this jack will fit in that space between the rail and the front of the cubby. I'm considering putting one closest to the drivers side, and a second one closest to the passenger side, so that way I'd have 4 jacks right up in the cubby to power anything I choose to put on the rail, without any cords hanging down the dash (using short cords of course - Apple's MagSafe cord would be too long for this unfortunately).

Powerwerx Outlet

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
This mag charger holds my phone by magnet while charging it. Just to show a fully DIY option.

Uses a mount (for something else) that replaces a grab-handle edge trim piece providing a solid M5 bolt mounting point. Bolted on this aluminum stock bent to shape with an iPhone charger mounted to it on a 3M sticky mount pad.

No Magsafe phone case though--just a charger-sized hole I cut in the plastic phone case; the edges of the hole help locate the magnet charger--Click!-- and help keep the phone in place.
This set up lets me pop the phone on there in half a second and remove it just as fast. For the last year it's been holding fine for everything but rougher off-road.

Since these photos I've adjusted the position so it doesn't block the vent as much. I should also paint it black.

the cord tucks into the steering wheel surround trim and comes out to plug into the USB-C port I have in the cigarette lighter port.

Jeep Wrangler JL MagSafe AND Magnetic Mount in one - the unicorn iphone mount v2.0

Jeep Wrangler JL MagSafe AND Magnetic Mount in one - the unicorn Voswitch grab handle accessory switches.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL MagSafe AND Magnetic Mount in one - the unicorn iphone mount v2.0 with iPhone12

Jeep Wrangler JL MagSafe AND Magnetic Mount in one - the unicorn iphone mount magsafe DIY case cut-out

Jeep Wrangler JL MagSafe AND Magnetic Mount in one - the unicorn iphone mount USB3 to CL-AC

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Thank you for that; another option to consider. Any chance you'd measure the space between your 67D rail and the front of the bin? Instead of just having a cord coming through like you did, I'm considering adding one of these like a guy did in this thread, but I'm wondering if this jack will fit in that space between the rail and the front of the cubby. I'm considering putting one closest to the drivers side, and a second one closest to the passenger side, so that way I'd have 4 jacks right up in the cubby to power anything I choose to put on the rail, without any cords hanging down the dash (using short cords of course - Apple's MagSafe cord would be too long for this unfortunately).

Powerwerx Outlet

I'll grab some measurements later. Not sure if you noticed I just used a usb hub from Amazon so have more connections if needed. But the Powerwerx Outlet looks more professional/clean!

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I'll grab some measurements later. Not sure if you noticed I just used a usb hub from Amazon so have more connections if needed. But the Powerwerx Outlet looks more professional/clean!
Yes, it’s the cleanliness that I’m after. Thank you for the measurements!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Shoot I forgot and am at airport now...
No worries, it’s all on order so it is what it is. It won’t change my buying choice; when I get my Jeep back from AEV I’ll find a solution that works. Even is the rail covers the standard USB Jack, i should be able to access the USB-C for a short cord out my arm to my MagSafe mount. Gavin at 67D said that I should only use an Apple MagSafe, but having that much cord bothers me. So I may start with something that allows me to run a very short cord from the mount, down the arm to the port I will install. Then, when I need to swap over to the magnetic mount for harder core off-roading, it’s a simple plug and play fix. Make sense?

and if that’s no good for whatever reason, I will go with SuffolkLou’s setup above. I’m still considering THIS mount from Journey due to its claim of magnets being twice as strong, and the ability to use my own length USB-C cable. That’s very likely what I’ll start with; looks like ill neeed a ball to ball adapter for the end of my 67D arm.

Last edited:

Ayydee

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4XE

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Where is the charging wire?

Ayydee

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4XE
Last edited:

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I’m still considering THIS mount from Journey due to its claim of magnets being twice as strong, and the ability to use my own length USB-C cable. That’s very likely what I’ll start with; looks like ill neeed a ball to ball adapter for the end of my 67D arm.

There is a company that is making a 3d printed 17mm ball to 20 mm ball adapter that I used on my set up. I just need to remember the brand of it.

I just grabbed two of those Journey magnet mounts to see how they work. I'm using the Course mounts and they are really nice, but depending on the iPhone case the rings don't hold as well as I would like. But on one of them I used one of those New Snap Pro 3's

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Please let us know how the Journey mount works. And the Oh Snap is a piece of metal that goes on the outside of your case and still allows MagSafe charging? If so, that surely seems like it would hold to the mount even better.
My Jeep isn’t getting back to St. Louis this week; so I still haven’t finalized what my final purchase is going to be. I’m leaning towards the Journey due to the ability to use a short cable up to my tray where I will install an outlet. Your feedback on the Journey is greatly appreciated.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Please let us know how the Journey mount works. And the Oh Snap is a piece of metal that goes on the outside of your case and still allows MagSafe charging? If so, that surely seems like it would hold to the mount even better.
My Jeep isn’t getting back to St. Louis this week; so I still haven’t finalized what my final purchase is going to be. I’m leaning towards the Journey due to the ability to use a short cable up to my tray where I will install an outlet. Your feedback on the Journey is greatly appreciated.

Sure no problem I'll let ya know. I will run power down behind the dash somehow. I hate wires flopping around.

The oh Snap piece is a POP out style holder BUT it is magnetic so it will actually let you stick the phone to metal surfaces. I put it on my fridge all the time to watch youtube while cooking, it drives my wife nuts lol!

brown.jpg
Sponsored