Sponsored

Magnuson Supercharger installed. Any questions?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I have the Magnuson Supercharger installed on my 2019 JLUR. Increased my rig roughly 100 horsepower. Just a general post to see if anyone has questions about this specific SC such as pros & cons.

I’m at altitude in Colorado Springs with significant temp changes. First impression is that unti it heats up it runs a bit jerky. But once it’s warm…it’s impressive. Pro - fast with the ability to easily pull my pop up camper (2200 lbs). Con - you must use at least 91 octane to avoid damaging the unit. MPG drops a bit but only an issue if you constantly mash the throttle.

I regularly get asked if its a 392. Nope. Nearly as fast with about a $20k savings.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger installed. Any questions? A7E3AA79-0F58-4157-8917-0AA648E65E23

IMG_5065.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Did you have to beef up your drive train?

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
Nice! I had a Magnuson blower on my Corvette, and it was a reliable, solid product. Make sure you maintain the belt and tensioner. Another nice benefit of this setup is the instant torque down low in the rev range. Unlike a turbo application, a positive displacement blower makes power right off idle.
The use of 91 octane fuel has really nothing to do with the blower itself, it's required because the increased cylinder pressure will cause detonation with lower octane fuel. And detonation isn't something the hypereutectic pistons used in the 3.6L will withstand for very long.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger installed. Any questions? IMG_0549.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoJeepGuy
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have to beef up your drive train?
No drivetrain upgrades at this point. I've put about 5,000 miles on it since the SC install. No issues so far. Based on the track record of the Rubi JL drivetrail to date, I don't expect any issues. Possibly some upgrades needed for other non-rubi JL models. Funny enough, you cannot install the Magnuson SC on the JL etorque engine. I'm not exactly sure why???

OP
OP
ColoradoJeepGuy
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any pictures of the Supercharger installed ?
Just added one to the main post. My apologies. Fairly clean look for an aftermarket product. Magnuson seems to be a solid company. I've reached out to them multiple times with questions and they usually respond the same day. Disclaimer: I do not work for Magnuson nor do I have any ties to the company. Just wanted a dual threat rig with enough HP to pull my camper without doing an engine swap. My last Jeep (2007 JKU Sahara) was a dog when pulling a 2,000lb camper. No dog no mo.

OP
OP
ColoradoJeepGuy
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I had a Magnuson blower on my Corvette, and it was a reliable, solid product. Make sure you maintain the belt and tensioner. Another nice benefit of this setup is the instant torque down low in the rev range. Unlike a turbo application, a positive displacement blower makes power right off idle.
The use of 91 octane fuel has really nothing to do with the blower itself, it's required because the increased cylinder pressure will cause detonation with lower octane fuel. And detonation isn't something the hypereutectic pistons used in the 3.6L will withstand for very long.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger installed. Any questions? IMG_0549.JPG
This is the content I'm looking for. lol. I've been impressed with the throttle response since there really isn't a delay (like you referred to regarding a turbo). I'm starting to notice all 91 octane fuel is not created equal. Costco gas seems to be superior to most local gas stations. Did you experience any issues with the air filter? Mine is very particular and becomes jerky in lower gears if I don't use a high quality air filter with lots of pleats.

OP
OP
ColoradoJeepGuy
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice upgrade! Engine longevity should be interesting.
Definitely a consideration when looking at superchargers or turbos. I don't drive much so it really isn't a concern to me. If I can squeeze 100k miles out of it, by that point I'll look at an engine swap. My 2007 had 78,000 miles on it so hoping to avoid this situation for 10+ years. That's if our government hasn't taken all our Jeeps by then.

DvR2019JLUR

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 JKU, 2003 TJ
Thanks for the share and being open to questions.
I just purchased a 19’ JLUR with a Magnuson SC. I drove it from Houston to Amarillo the day I bought it and have several questions due to not knowing the way it’s really supposed to act with the SC.
1) At low speed and low gears the super charger seems to act more linear and smooth, at higher speed 65/75/85/95 and higher gears it’s very abrupt. It seems to either be full on or nothing. Around 80 you can have the throttle slightly compressed and it will climb to 5k rpm but then just stop climbing, if you really give it gas the SC kicks in and it goes really well but as soon as you let off a bit it kicks off. - is this normal?

2) The Jeep is on 37s so I know gas Mileage will be poor however I averaged 11.5 mpg over a 500 mile trip. It’s very poor - Any thoughts on that?

3) When I got to a bit higher altitude (Amarillo TX 4,300 foot) the Jeep is running very rich, you smell gas constantly. It’s not burning all the fuel clean. I had this issue with my 14’ JKU after it was tuned and going to higher altitude always gave me issues with running super rich and gas fumes. I finally reset the tune and have never had issues again. I’m wondering if the tune with the Magnuson is doing the same thing. Have you had issues with it running rich since you are at higher altitude?

thank you!

65494091-51EF-4438-879C-973F62923CAE.jpeg

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just purchased a 19’ JLUR with a Magnuson SC. I drove it from Houston to Amarillo the day I bought it and have several questions due to not knowing the way it’s really supposed to act with the SC.
1) At low speed and low gears the super charger seems to act more linear and smooth, at higher speed 65/75/85/95 and higher gears it’s very abrupt. It seems to either be full on or nothing. Around 80 you can have the throttle slightly compressed and it will climb to 5k rpm but then just stop climbing, if you really give it gas the SC kicks in and it goes really well but as soon as you let off a bit it kicks off. - is this normal?

2) The Jeep is on 37s so I know gas Mileage will be poor however I averaged 11.5 mpg over a 500 mile trip. It’s very poor - Any thoughts on that?

3) When I got to a bit higher altitude (Amarillo TX 4,300 foot) the Jeep is running very rich, you smell gas constantly. It’s not burning all the fuel clean. I had this issue with my 14’ JKU after it was tuned and going to higher altitude always gave me issues with running super rich and gas fumes. I finally reset the tune and have never had issues again. I’m wondering if the tune with the Magnuson is doing the same thing. Have you had issues with it running rich since you are at higher altitude?

thank you!

What did you pay for that setup used? Nice rig for sure. Can't help with SC questions though.

DvR2019JLUR

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 JKU, 2003 TJ
What did you pay for that setup used? Nice rig for sure. Can't help with SC questions though.
I got a really good deal. It’s got a 3.5 Evo long arm kit with king shocks, 513 gears, the Magnuson SC, and many other goodies and paid $59,200. The Jeep has 31k miles and is in immaculate condition.

87AAB6D4-EDC7-4733-A497-808A68748A82.jpeg

OP
OP
ColoradoJeepGuy
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thank you!

It definitely sounds like a tuning issue. You can locate Magnuson certified dealers/installers on the Magnuson website. They should be able to verify the tuning. As far as the actual drivability, I like the SC for towing (and merging into traffic) but it's a bit rough as a commuter. Living in Colorado, its cold more than its not, especially in the mornings. Before the SC even has time to warm up I'm at my destination. Taking that into consideration, along with the current state of gas prices and having to use premium with the SC, I'm not sure the pros outweigh the cons. Furthermore, it's difficult to find a warranty company that will cover a vehicle with an aftermarket supercharger. My dealership would not offer an extended factory warranty due to the SC. A bit scary considering all the bells and whistles my rig has. Anyway, just food for thought. Good luck with the tuning - hope you get 'er figured out!