Magnuson Supercharger available $6495

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone with the Magnuson SC and at high elevation had a problem with running rich?

I purchased the SC from Livernois with their tune and when the most recent tune (3rd version) settled in I lost a lot of power and feels like hitting a wall in the power band around 4K rpm. It feels like it has less power than stock so I put it on a dyno and it’s running very rich. Also ran a smoke test after the dyno pulls and there are no leaks. See below. I hope Andy @Livernois Motorsports can help but appreciate any advice!
Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 1621627058544
Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 1621626697597
Sponsored

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Yikes. Hope they can figure that out quickly.

Has anyone with the Magnuson SC and at high elevation had a problem with running rich?

I purchased the SC from Livernois with their tune and when the most recent tune (3rd version) settled in I lost a lot of power and feels like hitting a wall in the power band around 4K rpm. It feels like it has less power than stock so I put it on a dyno and it’s running very rich. Also ran a smoke test after the dyno pulls and there are no leaks. See below. I hope Andy @Livernois Motorsports can help but appreciate any advice!

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you try a different tune? From what little I know looks to be maybe a sensor input problem or when changing loop control systems.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer

1621627058544.jpeg
1621626697597.jpeg

im confused....livernois doesnt send their own tune with the SC kit. The only way you get a livernois tune is If you drop your truck off at livernois and leave it with them for 2-4 weeks while they make it. If you ordered a kit from them, and received it through the mail, with their tune, then you’re the first one Im aware of getting that. As of just a couple months ago when i asked, that was the only way they would do the kit.

a 10:1 afr is too rich, but you arent making power. my first guesses are that your belt is slipping and you arent making boost; or your throttle plate is closing; or the SC bypass valve is opening. Youll see reduced power at elevation, but that’s not what you’re experiencing based on that chart.

What cels is it throwing? what are data logs showing for:

boost
knock correction
misfire
throttle angle request/actual

Last edited:

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Did you try a different tune? From what little I know looks to be maybe a sensor input problem or when changing loop control systems.
I need to get some AF data to livernois and they are going to rework the tune.

Sponsored

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
im confused....livernois doesnt send their own tune with the SC kit. The only way you get a livernois tune is If you drop your truck off at livernois and leave it with them for 2-4 weeks while they make it. If you ordered a kit from them, and received it through the mail, with their tune, then you’re the first one Im aware of getting that. As of just a couple months ago when i asked, that was the only way they would do the kit.

a 10:1 afr is too rich, but you arent making power. my first guesses are that your belt is slipping and you arent making boost; or your throttle plate is closing; or the SC bypass valve is opening. Youll see reduced power at elevation, but that’s not what you’re experiencing based on that chart.

What cels is it throwing? what are data logs showing for:

boost
knock correction
misfire
throttle angle request/actual
I ordered the SC kit over the phone back in October 2020 and received it via mail so who knows? It’s been on the Jeep since November and has 5k miles on it.
Im getting ~4# boost with a max of 4.22#s when the trans shifts. No knock data and the throttle shows it’s working.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah that boost and afr really weird. maybe blow off valve stuck open or remaining open for some reason. At least you get support buying from them which is great.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
not likely.
I ordered the SC kit over the phone back in October 2020 and received it via mail so who knows? It’s been on the Jeep since November and has 5k miles on it.
Im getting ~4# boost with a max of 4.22#s when the trans shifts. No knock data and the throttle shows it’s working.
if the change is abrupt after you were previously getting 7-10psi, then id check connections to the bypass valve, torque specs on all the bolts, and belt tension.

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
not likely.

if the change is abrupt after you were previously getting 7-10psi, then id check connections to the bypass valve, torque specs on all the bolts, and belt tension.
Thanks everyone for the help! Gauge Boost pressure is the same as day one since I’m at ~5,700’ elevation with 82-83kpa. Based on the data logs I consistently lose ~ 2.5#s due to baro and up to 5#s at 10,000’ when in the mountains. We did a smoke test to 7psi after the dyno and it had no leaks. I’m hoping leaning out the tune or pullying down to get more boost will solve the problem. The upstream O2 sensors support that it’s running rich. I really don’t won’t to partially uninstall the SC to replace fouled plugs but I’ll do it if needed. Waiting for the updated tune and then will update the thread.

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks everyone for the help! Gauge Boost pressure is the same as day one since I’m at ~5,700’ elevation with 82-83kpa. Based on the data logs I consistently lose ~ 2.5#s due to baro and up to 5#s at 10,000’ when in the mountains. We did a smoke test to 7psi after the dyno and it had no leaks. I’m hoping leaning out the tune or pullying down to get more boost will solve the problem. The upstream O2 sensors support that it’s running rich. I really don’t won’t to partially uninstall the SC to replace fouled plugs but I’ll do it if needed. Waiting for the updated tune and then will update the thread.
Well, I checked both cats and they are toast, so add another one to the list.

Bank one's substrate was in so many pieces they were also pushed in to the Y-Pipe. I also removed the SC to check the plugs and coil packs. All plugs were fouled from running rich but the coil packs appear fine.

After installing all new plugs and the SC, I loaded the new tune with no success. After 4k rpm at WOT, the tune dumps too much fuel and power hits a wall. I also replaced the belt and pulley with a Z Industries pulley that has a coating to prevent belt slip. Boost now tops out at 6.9#s but the tune for the table above 4k is still way too much fuel at 5,600' in elevation.

Sponsored

Foxtrot1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Finally got it figured out. The EGR took a s$!?. Replaced it and uploaded a prior tune and it’s running well without the WOT issues. I plan to put it on the dyno next week. So heads up to anyone running the Maggy if you start misfiring and have no power. Pull the EGR and check it. Mine had substantial carbon build up on the manifold side and minimal on the intake side. Sure as Sunday, the EGR took a dive and may have started the serious of events that caused other issues.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Im up and running on the magnuson.
also installed a larger radiator for extra cooling.

really really happy with how this thing drives. No rush of power or anything. Just drives like a big v8. Will be adding my additional secret sauce coolant tank and pump soon; followed by the interchiller system i had made to spec a bit later.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 DB2C8A4E-BFBA-4E37-A423-53AB0E0C9491
Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 C02A510A-3475-4D2F-A797-DC18E4295179
Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 27894332-AFA0-4B2E-9DBB-2AF254FFF1E3
Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 8F89A587-AB7C-4D48-9871-421EE62A6A24

Tru-Trac

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Im up and running on the magnuson.
also installed a larger radiator for extra cooling.

really really happy with how this thing drives. No rush of power or anything. Just drives like a big v8. Will be adding my additional secret sauce coolant tank and pump soon; followed by the interchiller system i had made to spec a bit later.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnuson Supercharger available $6495 8F89A587-AB7C-4D48-9871-421EE62A6A24
Awesome!!! Keep us updated. Just waiting on CARB approval over here.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been patiently waiting for an update with this project of yours. Do you have a thread on the gladiator forum going into more details about it all? I haven't checked over there in a while.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Awesome!!! Keep us updated. Just waiting on CARB approval over here.
theyre working on it. Only one that’s approved right now Is edelbrock.
Sponsored