First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Regarding power, I am trying to reconcile the statement on Magnuson's website that says "In stock trim with no other system modifications, this kit provides an AMAZING 440hp AND 380 ft-lbs OF TORQUE at the crank, equivalent to ~372 REAR WHEEL HP." But Livernois says "adding up to 120hp peak gains". So per Mag you get ~440/372 and per Livernois you get ~405/345. I wish I knew what I should realistically expect. The Mag numbers are pretty close to Ripp if in fact you get a full 372 at the wheels with Mag. I am interested in RIPP too but I like the idea of making HP at lower RPM. Not because I think I need more power rock crawling but I just don't love doing 5-6K RPM and I want access to more of the power at lower RPM even though I may give up some power at the higher RPM. Having said that the only time I really need more power is in the sand dunes in 4-high so maybe Ripp makes sense.
you dont know me from adam, so this isnt a “flex”, just a “hey here is me”

i have spent a lot of time time talking to ripp, hamburger, people working on magnuson, and now some with edelbrock. Im a former tuner/programmer and tuning beta tester for a major software development firm.

i so far find the Edelbrock the most compelling, and while this is just my personal opinion- it seems the most complete. Ripp makes a ton of power and has a lot of satisfied customers.
They seem knowledgeable and their product consistent. Magnuson is using a big roots blower, and now has a tuner that has some SERIOUS grit. As i said, he has asked to remain anonymous, but his experience and resume making horsepower is considerable. It will be a reliable and powerful tune when he is done, and its already come A LONG way.

ive gotten to the point, though, that i value drivability over outright power. Livernois does a fabulous calibration. But you have to leave the truck with them for 2-4wks to get it done; plus any “delays” that come up. Ripp, hamburger, any other centrifugal are open filter elements. Thats fine for a street truck, but what about one headed to the trail With water and dust? I guess you could fab an airbox; but the PD blowers leave the air box sealed and intact.

with the edelbrock, theyve addressed all the tuning issues to the motor AND the trans. Airbox remains sealed. It shows up to your door ready to bolt on and go. Its been driven in all the conditions you would normally find. The EGR and cam phasing have been properly addressed. The box shows up, and your truck drives more gooder-er by the end of the weekend. No other company has that right now.

my ego wants big power, but is it worth it?

-i want my truck to last 15yrs of use.
-i want a sealed airbox for snorkel use.
-i want bolt on and go with a ready to go tune, not one that requires a bunch of custom dyno and road tunes.
-i am increasingly concerned about the legality of non carb parts. 15 states have signed on to carb so far, and the number is set to grow. I live in virginia. The likelyhood of virginia going carb is in my estimation, high. What do I do if i drop $7,000 on a SC kit and suddenly my truck wont register/inspect because it is in violation? Theres no guarantee you will get grandfathered by the state and no guarantee you can buy a carb approved tune from the vendor later.
-i want transmission tuning addressed. Higher tq converter lock up with high load lock to lock shifting so the thing lasts.

most honest dynos put a stock JL at about 220ish whp. Ripp, Edelbrock, and Livernois all agree on that figure, which tells me they may not be hp accurate with each other, but they all have been calibrated honestly, so its “close”

-ripp nets ~370hp ~320tq. It is by far the most powerful; includes an Intake. No trans tuning. No carb approval. No sealed airbox. Ripp says you may require additional tuning. Centrifugal may not be best option for a trail truck.

-livernois tune of the magnuson nets ~340hp, ~290tq On an otherwise stock vehicle; but includes higher flow intake pipe. I think they do trans tuning. sealed airbox, no carb approval. 4+week vehicle down time. I do not believe the Magnuson will hit 370hp. If it could, i think Livernois would have gotten it.

-edelbrock tune of the smaller tvs1320 nets ~330hp ~270tq On the stock airbox and intake pipe Less under the curve than the livernois, but peak not far off. Arrives to your door as a turn key box. Cheapest of all the options. Carb approved. Trans tuning included. Sealed airbox. No additional tuning required.

i get the urge to go fast, i really do. But i also need to be able to drive my truck 365 days a year. I dunno. Im going to give it some more time and see what this guy at Magnuson gets done and if they get it turn key. I also need to see a no bullshit real dyno of a carb approved tune from these other vendors making more power, because getting it through carb will cost power for sure. I think with my 80mm throttle body, exhaust, and high flow intake, ill be close to the livernois tune. The 1900 is a bigger blower, but the 1320 can handle a stock mk2 Pentastar just fine. Its 11.3:1 compression for fucks sake. You just dont need that much blower to do well. you wont be able to really recognize the full benefit of a bigger blower without a set of pistons at a minimum; and Id bet money that 1320 has more in it with a pulley, and you can run out of transmission quick if you take the 1900 or a vortex trim ripp is using and spin them to the limit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tru-Trac

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
you dont know me from adam, so this isnt a “flex”, just a “hey here is me”

i have spent a lot of time time talking to ripp, hamburger, people working on magnuson, and now some with edelbrock. Im a former tuner/programmer and tuning beta tester for a major software development firm.

i so far find the Edelbrock the most compelling, and while this is just my personal opinion- it seems the most complete. Ripp makes a ton of power and has a lot of satisfied customers.
They seem knowledgeable and their product consistent. Magnuson is using a big roots blower, and now has a tuner that has some SERIOUS grit. As i said, he has asked to remain anonymous, but his experience and resume making horsepower is considerable. It will be a reliable and powerful tune when he is done, and its already come A LONG way.

ive gotten to the point, though, that i value drivability over outright power. Livernois does a fabulous calibration. But you have to leave the truck with them for 2-4wks to get it done; plus any “delays” that come up. Ripp, hamburger, any other centrifugal are open filter elements. Thats fine for a street truck, but what about one headed to the trail With water and dust? I guess you could fab an airbox; but the PD blowers leave the air box sealed and intact.

with the edelbrock, theyve addressed all the tuning issues to the motor AND the trans. Airbox remains sealed. It shows up to your door ready to bolt on and go. Its been driven in all the conditions you would normally find. The EGR and cam phasing have been properly addressed. The box shows up, and your truck drives more gooder-er by the end of the weekend. No other company has that right now.

my ego wants big power, but is it worth it?

-i want my truck to last 15yrs of use.
-i want a sealed airbox for snorkel use.
-i want bolt on and go with a ready to go tune, not one that requires a bunch of custom dyno and road tunes.
-i am increasingly concerned about the legality of non carb parts. 15 states have signed on to carb so far, and the number is set to grow. I live in virginia. The likelyhood of virginia going carb is in my estimation, high. What do I do if i drop $7,000 on a SC kit and suddenly my truck wont register/inspect because it is in violation? Theres no guarantee you will get grandfathered by the state and no guarantee you can buy a carb approved tune from the vendor later.
-i want transmission tuning addressed. Higher tq converter lock up with high load lock to lock shifting so the thing lasts.

most honest dynos put a stock JL at about 220ish whp. Ripp, Edelbrock, and Livernois all agree on that figure, which tells me they may not be hp accurate with each other, but they all have been calibrated honestly, so its “close”

-ripp nets ~370hp ~320tq. It is by far the most powerful; includes an Intake. No trans tuning. No carb approval. No sealed airbox. Ripp says you may require additional tuning. Centrifugal may not be best option for a trail truck.

-livernois tune of the magnuson nets ~340hp, ~290tq On an otherwise stock vehicle; but includes higher flow intake pipe. I think they do trans tuning. sealed airbox, no carb approval. 4+week vehicle down time. I do not believe the Magnuson will hit 370hp. If it could, i think Livernois would have gotten it.

-edelbrock tune of the smaller tvs1320 nets ~330hp ~270tq On the stock airbox and intake pipe Less under the curve than the livernois, but peak not far off. Arrives to your door as a turn key box. Cheapest of all the options. Carb approved. Trans tuning included. Sealed airbox. No additional tuning required.

i get the urge to go fast, i really do. But i also need to be able to drive my truck 365 days a year. I dunno. Im going to give it some more time and see what this guy at Magnuson gets done and if they get it turn key. I also need to see a no bullshit real dyno of a carb approved tune from these other vendors making more power, because getting it through carb will cost power for sure. I think with my 80mm throttle body, exhaust, and high flow intake, ill be close to the livernois tune. The 1900 is a bigger blower, but the 1320 can handle a stock mk2 Pentastar just fine. Its 11.3:1 compression for fucks sake. You just dont need that much blower to do well. you wont be able to really recognize the full benefit of a bigger blower without a set of pistons at a minimum; and Id bet money that 1320 has more in it with a pulley, and you can run out of transmission quick if you take the 1900 or a vortex trim ripp is using and spin them to the limit.
Great info! I discounted Edelbrock because the smaller 1320 but I will reconsider. Pretty sure I’m going PD either way. If Magnusen doesn’t get CARB approval soon it will be an easy choice. Please post any updates you get. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Great info! I discounted Edelbrock because the smaller 1320 but I will reconsider. Pretty sure I’m going PD either way. If Magnusen doesn’t get CARB approval soon it will be an easy choice. Please post any updates you get. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
yeah man. Thats just the brass tax as i see it now. Be curious to see if anyone else goes CARB approved By summer time.

other people will have different priorities, and there are a lot of quality kits on the market that seem to cover all the various priorities people have.

Last edited:

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
another thought on “carb eo: pending” is go back and look at ripp kits. They are “carb eo: pending“ all the way back until you hit their 2015 kit. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20, are all “pending”.

sorry, but i just dont see them going back and worrying about making old kits compliant. They want to push new kits for the new mode out the door, and Id guess “carb eo: pending“ means it’s a long wait on a train that don’t come

Tru-Trac

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
another thought on “carb eo: pending” is go back and look at ripp kits. They are “carb eo: pending“ all the way back until you hit their 2015 kit. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20, are all “pending”.

sorry, but i just dont see them going back and worrying about making old kits compliant. They want to push new kits for the new mode out the door, and Id guess “carb eo: pending“ means it’s a long wait on a train that don’t come
I got an email from Magnuson today that their Toyota Tacoma V6 2016-2020 is now CARB approved. Hope their Jeep kit is close behind.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I got an email from Magnuson today that their Toyota Tacoma V6 2016-2020 is now CARB approved. Hope their Jeep kit is close behind.
hope so. one of the issues tuners seem to be having is with cold start up pass. The other issue for us gladiator folks is refining the differences between jt and jl operatiom. Evidently there is something slightly different about them but what that is, is unclear to me

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Kept investigating, went with the Magnuson.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Kept investigating, went with the Magnuson.
The considerations you presented were great. Even though I’ve been on Magnuson for some time already, my reaction was - wow that’s great critical thinking, you’ll choose a best option, and it made me question my choice. Can I ask what your investigation found that turned you to Magnuson?

Tru-Trac

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The considerations you presented were great. Even though I’ve been on Magnuson for some time already, my reaction was - wow that’s great critical thinking, you’ll choose a best option, and it made me question my choice. Can I ask what your investigation found that turned you to Magnuson?
Yes would love to hear why you chose it you were so positive towards Edelbrock. Did Magnuson get the tune figured out? What about your CARB concerns? Thanks for sharing!

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
i appreciate that.

it came down to heat. I think on a stock motor the Edelbrock is perfectly fine and would drive great. But comparing the temp data the Magnuson runs cooler from the larger blower and larger intercooler. I plan on building the motor and turning up the boost; so while the 1320 can still crank out power pretty efficiently, its going to run hotter. The side-car design of the Magnuson allows easier tapping for meth injection, more plenum, and a larger intercooler. The jeep already has cooling struggles and running more blower pressure; i wasnt sure how the heat would work out so i decided to mitigate it.

if I had gone with edelbrock i would have tried to cut 1/8 or 1/4” phenolic resin sheet to act as a temp gasket between their plenum and intercooler box, but getting meth dispersion would have been tougher.

it came down to future build plans, nothing more.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Yes would love to hear why you chose it you were so positive towards Edelbrock. Did Magnuson get the tune figured out? What about your CARB concerns? Thanks for sharing!
im admittedly rolling the dice on CARB cert; and Im only doing that because I know their tuner.

im going to be testing the planned CARB tune and see how it is, the other guy on it says its a lot better than cut 1. I also need to watch lambda and egt for cat burn out, but that is purportedly fixed now too.

i got nothing against the Edelbrock kit. If you just want to bolt up and drive more gooder-er, it wont do you wrong. im confident enough in the magnuson drivability now to have the scunion in reserve.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
i appreciate that.

it came down to heat. I think on a stock motor the Edelbrock is perfectly fine and would drive great. But comparing the temp data the Magnuson runs cooler from the larger blower and larger intercooler. I plan on building the motor and turning up the boost; so while the 1320 can still crank out power pretty efficiently, its going to run hotter. The side-car design of the Magnuson allows easier tapping for meth injection, more plenum, and a larger intercooler. The jeep already has cooling struggles and running more blower pressure; i wasnt sure how the heat would work out so i decided to mitigate it.

if I had gone with edelbrock i would have tried to cut 1/8 or 1/4” phenolic resin sheet to act as a temp gasket between their plenum and intercooler box, but getting meth dispersion would have been tougher.

it came down to future build plans, nothing more.
Awesome, thank you.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
are you on the latest file from Magnuson?
I had mine installed a while ago, so probably not. I asked my offroad shop several months ago if I could get a newer tune, as folks described here that new / better tunes had emerged from Magnuson (I assume Petty’s at the time.). My shop talked to them and were told that the new tunes then (being discussed here) were more or less specialty tunes for folks having some issues or non-standard conditions. But that I should be good to go with the file I have. Now with the news here that Magnuson has its own in-house tuner working on this for the JL - well I’m very interested in having the latest and greatest. Not sure how I’d add that new file. Any ideas? My offroad shop is great, but they are 2 hours from me in PA (I’m in VA.)

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I had mine installed a while ago, so probably not. I asked my offroad shop several months ago if I could get a newer tune, as folks described here that new / better tunes had emerged from Magnuson (I assume Petty’s at the time.). My shop talked to them and were told that the new tunes then (being discussed here) were more or less specialty tunes for folks having some issues or non-standard conditions. But that I should be good to go with the file I have. Now with the news here that Magnuson has its own in-house tuner working on this for the JL - well I’m very interested in having the latest and greatest. Not sure how I’d add that new file. Any ideas? My offroad shop is great, but they are 2 hours from me in PA (I’m in VA.)
that doesnt jive right with what I know so far From direct conversations with the people working directly on it....but i might not have my facts straight.

stay in touch. Let me get the unit built and installed, and the file running and see whats what and we’ll try to get you sorted out. My guess is that if your throttle isnt super twitchy/violent, you already have the primary revision file.
Sponsored

Last edited: