Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Immediately the Auto Start/Stop Light came on, and the backup camera does not automatically come on when I put it in reverse.

About 2 weeks later the check engine light came on due to battery mod. codes. Cleared them, came on again, cleared them and had the guys tighten battery terminals. Engine light came on again and it was radio codes. Also lost my satellite subscription immediately.

Not sure when it happened, but my reverse lights also don't come on. Checked fuses and they are working. Went about a week and half without the engine light and bam, back on. I'm sure the shop is hating me by now. If i took it to a dealer, im sure they would tell me to go take a hike.
Oof. That sucks. I have the start / stop issue, but it’s always been that way. Dealer attempted to fix once, but told me that my CAI / exhaust was a contributing issue. So I’ve just lived with that stupid thing, not really a problem. When it does work, I quickly disable it anyway.

I agree on the dealer reaction - not even worth attempting to have it looked at under warranty.
Have either or both of you guys performed the manual transmission re-learn procedure? When I initially set up my Tazer after going to larger tires, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting it to get the speedometer just right and wound up getting many of the same symptoms you guys are getting. After doing all my adjustments I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes or so, performed the relearn procedure, and all codes gone, radio works just fine, backup camera works just fine, all problems solved. I'd be interested to hear if it could solve you guys' issues as well.
Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Have either or both of you guys performed the manual transmission re-learn procedure? When I initially set up my Tazer after going to larger tires, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting it to get the speedometer just right and wound up getting many of the same symptoms you guys are getting. After doing all my adjustments I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes or so, performed the relearn procedure, and all codes gone, radio works just fine, backup camera works just fine, all problems solved. I'd be interested to hear if it could solve you guys' issues as well.
So I’m only have the ESS start/stop issue - no others. Have had it even when Jeep was bone stock, from the day I drove it off the lot (albeit used with 3k miles.) but, no, I haven’t tried your suggestion, and thanks for the pro tip.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue after regearing the axles. Disconnecting the battery did the trick for me as well. (6 speed)

For those that do it, you can’t just disconnect the battery. You also need to separate all the different negative cables from each other that mount on the negative battery post.

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did it myself. Completely agree with you about the warranty, hopefully all remains well with it.

I put a Banks turbo on a TJ several years ago and this one was substantially easier. The only thing I didn't like was the placement of the ambient air temp sensor. There's no way it'll read properly under the hood so I extended the harness to put it back in the stock location.
i was just complaining about that. How did you extend the harness?

ART-DOC

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU, 2017 Volvo XC90 T6
Thanks for the tip. I'll order a Tazer and try it.

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Thanks for the tip. I'll order a Tazer and try it.
Sorry, my previous post was a bit misleading. I didn't mean the Tazer-specific relearn procedure, I was referencing the Mopar procedure which you don't need a Tazer for (see attached). Hope it clears up your Jeep!

Attachments

ART-DOC

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU, 2017 Volvo XC90 T6
Sorry, my previous post was a bit misleading. I didn't mean the Tazer-specific relearn procedure, I was referencing the Mopar procedure which you don't need a Tazer for (see attached). Hope it clears up your Jeep!
Cool. Appreciate it.

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Ecodiesel, 2023 JL 2.0L, 2019 Duramax
i was just complaining about that. How did you extend the harness?
I had grand plans to swap the connector from the factory harness onto an extension harness for a IAT sensor. I pulled the wire out of the terminals trying to remove the stock connector so I ultimately just spliced it all back together with a little more wire. Works great now though.

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I did it myself. Completely agree with you about the warranty, hopefully all remains well with it.

I put a Banks turbo on a TJ several years ago and this one was substantially easier. The only thing I didn't like was the placement of the ambient air temp sensor. There's no way it'll read properly under the hood so I extended the harness to put it back in the stock location.
I had a shop in CO quote me $2,000 and 1-2 weeks for the install. Seems steep and they said they'd have to send the PCM to Magnuson for coding.

I'm no mechanic but I can follow instructions, are these things DIY friendly(ish)?

Sponsored

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I had a shop in CO quote me $2,000 and 1-2 weeks for the install. Seems steep and they said they'd have to send the PCM to Magnuson for coding.

I'm no mechanic but I can follow instructions, are these things DIY friendly(ish)?
It’s a solid 12 hours worth of work. At a shop rate of $120 an hour, well that’s not 2k. I think that’s steep, in my opinion anyway.

The instructions are decent. If you are mechanically inclined and not clumsy, I think you could tackle it, even if it does take you a couple of extra hours. The PCM is a 4 day turnaround at best anyway.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation

That is expensive on labor, and look at Down East Off-road for a sense of best pricing on the SC itself. Magnusson's tuner for this kit is Petty's Garage in North Carolina, that is where your PCM will get shipped - no matter where you get this done, you will have to ship your PCM to NC. I had my kit installed in PA, and the shop I used shipped my PCM out the same day. It was more than a week to get it back from Petty's. 2 weeks is not unreasonable, though I had mine in just under two weeks.

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I thought it was DIY friendly. The worst part was installing the bracket on the driverside valve cover and that was only an access issue. Magnuson has the instructions posted on their site if you'd like to take a look and they were pretty spot on.

Shipping the PCM off is correct. I had shipped mine on a Thursday and received it back on Friday the following week. Overall time to install the supercharger was between 10 and 11 hours.

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought you guys may appreciate an update on my experience.

I’ve added around 1,000 miles to the JL since the supercharger install. Overall, I’m pretty pleased. The initial tune that came with the kit left a lot to be desired. As some have mentioned, there was a light switch effect and the most annoying to me was an oscillation that occurred under certain load conditions, mainly cruising around 65-70 mph. The Jeep would hold speed well but you could feel a slight surge as it floated between vacuum and boost. I’m pretty sure this was present stock but the added power made it become more noticeable.

I had been tweaking the tune with HP Tuners and a little guidance from a Gladiator forum member. I was able to work a lot of the light switch effect out however it still had the oscillation. A week ago I had contacted Magnuson to see if they had updated anything on their default calibration. I received a new tune from them on Friday and while I have only put a few miles on it, there is a huge difference. It now drives like it has a roots blower. Tons of torque available whenever you’d like and a much smoother transition into boost. I haven’t driven under the conditions that created the oscillation and I suspect it is still going to be there, maybe not quite as bad.

This current cal is exactly what I expected when jumping into this. I’m running a 6 spd so I can’t speak for how the auto tuning works however I’m now quite impressed with the product Magnuson has put together.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Thought you guys may appreciate an update on my experience.

I’ve added around 1,000 miles to the JL since the supercharger install. Overall, I’m pretty pleased. The initial tune that came with the kit left a lot to be desired. As some have mentioned, there was a light switch effect and the most annoying to me was an oscillation that occurred under certain load conditions, mainly cruising around 65-70 mph. The Jeep would hold speed well but you could feel a slight surge as it floated between vacuum and boost. I’m pretty sure this was present stock but the added power made it become more noticeable.

I had been tweaking the tune with HP Tuners and a little guidance from a Gladiator forum member. I was able to work a lot of the light switch effect out however it still had the oscillation. A week ago I had contacted Magnuson to see if they had updated anything on their default calibration. I received a new tune from them on Friday and while I have only put a few miles on it, there is a huge difference. It now drives like it has a roots blower. Tons of torque available whenever you’d like and a much smoother transition into boost. I haven’t driven under the conditions that created the oscillation and I suspect it is still going to be there, maybe not quite as bad.

This current cal is exactly what I expected when jumping into this. I’m running a 6 spd so I can’t speak for how the auto tuning works however I’m now quite impressed with the product Magnuson has put together.
Oh cool, This is good to hear. Can you provide dates for when the new Maggie tune was released, or other identifiers so folks like myself (also 6 speed) might determine if they have the old or new tune? My SC went on in late September.
Sponsored