Greg-1983

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Hey Greg,

Sorry for the confusion here, but something that popped up in my head because I've been following this thread (and your posts as well within this thread) on a somewhat-regular basis, as well as the YouTube videos (from parts 1-5 and then finally the driving video, I always enjoy seeing how things come together on cars).

I noticed that you posted these comments on March 1st and March 8th, stating that there were misfires, a calibration issue, and a lawsuit. I noticed that you then posted the driving impressions video on March 28th, with no mention of any of this, and showing you flogging the car with no misfires and no issues. The only comment I noticed in the video was that there was a bit of lag in throttle-response? (Which isn't great either.) But that this issue could also perhaps be attributed to adding 500 lbs of equipment to the car? (Supercharger + skidplates + other equipment, I am looking forward to that final video in this series).

Sorry to bother you, but could you perhaps explain this discrepancy? (i.e. Why post on the forum that things are a mess but post on YouTube 2 over 2 weeks later showing things are functioning swimmingly?)
YouTube post was done by my mechanic , when supercharger was installed and 1st drived all was fine for first 10 miles . We got missifire after that., magunson took car for calibration twice , car was also on professional tune shop without luck. After every changes in tune car act differently, missifire was fixed but car stays on large rpms when on neutral or clutch, Magnuson finally offer to put car back to stock without charge since nobody know where issue is . I know I add weight to the car but I also change gears to 4.88 . My mechanic upload this wideo while after installation.
Sponsored

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
YouTube post was done by my mechanic , when supercharger was installed and 1st drived all was fine for first 10 miles . We got missifire after that., magunson took car for calibration twice , car was also on professional tune shop without luck. After every changes in tune car act differently, missifire was fixed but car stays on large rpms when on neutral or clutch, Magnuson finally offer to put car back to stock without charge since nobody know where issue is . I know I add weight to the car but I also change gears to 4.88 . My mechanic upload this wideo while after installation.
Understood, that clears up a lot of confusion, thanks. One last question, is your mechanic a factory/dealer Jeep technician or have an ASE Certification? I ask because I know that was in their fine print about getting a 3y/36k warranty, and so I'm wondering if that has to do with the initial difficulty you experienced with getting support from them.

Greg-1983

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Understood, that clears up a lot of confusion, thanks. One last question, is your mechanic a factory/dealer Jeep technician or have an ASE Certification? I ask because I know that was in their fine print about getting a 3y/36k warranty, and so I'm wondering if that has to do with the initial difficulty you experienced with getting support from them.
Yes he is , not jeep / tech but certified . All clear about that with magnuson , that was the 1st thing what they asked. Supercharger was also reinstalled by magnuson tech. to make sure there is no mistake on our side.

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Is there no one with one of these installed with a positive story to tell? If not, I'm really hoping I'll be the first!

goingsolo2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
It's funny because I have been in contact with Magnuson about getting one of these for my work Wrangler JL. I brought up the tuning concern in an email and said that there were multiple reports that the tuning is not proper yet. I was told about 3 days ago in email , from Magnuson, that the there are no longer tuning issues. Am I straight up being lied to? This was the exact line from the email: "In regards to calibration, everything sees to be working just fine since the last update."

That email was sent to me April 8. After seeing this, I am thinking that they are lying to me just to make a sale.

Sponsored

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
It's funny because I have been in contact with Magnuson about getting one of these for my work Wrangler JL. I brought up the tuning concern in an email and said that there were multiple reports that the tuning is not proper yet. I was told about 3 days ago in email , from Magnuson, that the there are no longer tuning issues. Am I straight up being lied to? This was the exact line from the email: "In regards to calibration, everything sees to be working just fine since the last update."

That email was sent to me April 8. After seeing this, I am thinking that they are lying to me just to make a sale.

If it makes you feel better, Prodigy will tell you the same thing if you call them and ask about the tune for their turbo system :)

In all fairness to these vendor, though, I am sure there are variances required in tunes depending on location, possible differences in manufacturing, etc... I would think a "perfect" canned tune for all Jeeps (even if the same year, model, etc) is pretty hard to manage...

goingsolo2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
If it makes you feel better, Prodigy will tell you the same thing if you call them and ask about the tune for their turbo system :)

In all fairness to these vendor, though, I am sure there are variances required in tunes depending on location, possible differences in manufacturing, etc... I would think a "perfect" canned tune for all Jeeps (even if the same year, model, etc) is pretty hard to manage...
Agreed...I think I will wait longer and see some more long term feedback.

Greg-1983

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon

You are completly right , they still didn't figure out why my tune is not working so they play lottery with customers .

goingsolo2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
You are completly right , they still didn't figure out why my tune is not working so they play lottery with customers .
That blows my mind...that's a lot of money to shell out without having a solid tune, which is probably the most important part of it.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
That blows my mind...that's a lot of money to shell out without having a solid tune, which is probably the most important part of it.
What I don't get (and I know a little less than zero about tuning) is how there are so many reliable JK tunes out there with happy owners... not just superchargers but the Prodigy turbo as well.

Yes, I understand that are a lot of differences between the JK and JL 6cyl engines, but at what point (especially after you shelled out who knows how much in R&D) do you work with FIAT/Chrysler to see what they think is going on? I'm sure there are even engineers there that would gladly moonlight for you and get a fix.

Then again, I guess everything seems easier when you're the guy "wanting" a fix and not the guy "doing" a fix... lol

Sponsored

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So my install is done. I worked with one of my friends to install and it took 11 hours solid. The Magnusson kit is clean and good quality. The guys over at Petty's Garage have put together a really solid tune. The JL started right up, idles perfectly and has some good power. It is a SOLID tune. Is it a perfect tune, I don't think that exists. The JL drives different now so I'm going to take my time and reacquaint myself all over again.

The kit required some light modification as it seems there are some out of date pictures for the water low temp radiator install. Two of the molded hoses required cuts and one routing was not good so I rerouted differently so it wouldn't interfere with the steering.

61014326586__A144D40A-989A-4C5D-87AF-B68C4E8B9183.JPG

61014328121__C391D9AF-0EA1-4C6E-89CD-0A52C4E8C6B2.JPG

61023321432__F805EEEB-8C9B-48FB-92DF-8AF40C1BB57E.JPG

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update.....

I have about 200 miles on this kit and it's going well. Here are some of my observations;

The throttle feels different. I won't call it lazy but just different. I have to be smooth and dig a bit deeper on launch when engaging 1st gear. No feathering the throttle or light touch anymore.

In 200 miles, I had one moment where it sputtered a bit in low RPM for about 3 seconds, literally. Didn't stall, just a quick sputter, then it took off.

I have done more than 5 wide open throttle pulls on the highway at this point. Everything feels good and solid. Tune feels super safe, no engine pinging, no weird noises that I can hear at this time. The rig is definitely faster as I'm easily cruising 15 MPH faster now.

It a bit like owning a new vehicle now and having to spend time learning how to drive it all over again, to be honest.

More to come.

Alex

Greg-1983

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Great job ADMTECH, looks like they are planning to work on my tune again on Tuesday . Another professional " tune shope " suspect vacuum leak. Again, congrats !!!

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great job ADMTECH, looks like they are planning to work on my tune again on Tuesday . Another professional " tune shope " suspect vacuum leak. Again, congrats !!!
Thanks Greg. The name is Alex.

How did you make out with your tuning? Was there a vacuum leak found and if so, where? What shop are you working with for the tune at this point?