Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Yes bare bones, only thing I need are the rear seats, and a basic soft top of some sort to keep the rain and snow out.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
if it was a 4xe with the 3.0 in place of the 2.0 that would be awesome. after driving a Pacifica hybrid with the 3.6 plug in hybrid it makes me wonder why that the wrangler got the 2.0 and not the 3.6.

im sure there are reasons, but I liked the 3.6 hybrid much more than the 2.0

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Magneto 3.0....Diesel/Electric hybrid with 1000 lb-ft of torque....
Several years ago, Jaguar had a concept electric hybrid that used micro turbines that could burn gas or diesel that went 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds and had 560 miles of range. It had close to 1200 lb-ft of torque.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I’m thinking that if, after three years, Jeep doesn’t roll out a Magneto concept with four electric motors, one on each wheel, batteries under the hood and where the driveline used to be and run by software that can control the motors into mimicking lockers and low range, then they’ve dropped the ball on electric Off Road vehicle development. Jeep should be the industry leader in this area, not bringing up the rear. It’s been three years already.

As for marketplace acceptance, yeah, there’s going to be plenty of Old Jeepers who won’t touch it with a ten foot pole. But if done right, it could be like 1997 all over again when the Wrangler introduced the Old Jeeper World to - gasp - coil springs.

Sponsored

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Jeep should be the industry leader in this area, not bringing up the rear. It’s been three years already.
I agree except we're talking about a company that still struggles with old tech that's already been proven for decades. They can't even seat fuses correctly so expect a few challenges for them when it comes to new concepts.

JW-UK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D110, Foers Ibex
Several years ago, Jaguar had a concept electric hybrid that used micro turbines that could burn gas or diesel that went 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds and had 560 miles of range. It had close to 1200 lb-ft of torque.
Jaguar never built that car either ;)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I’m thinking that if, after three years, Jeep doesn’t roll out a Magneto concept with four electric motors, one on each wheel, batteries under the hood and where the driveline used to be and run by software that can control the motors into mimicking lockers and low range, then they’ve dropped the ball on electric Off Road vehicle development. Jeep should be the industry leader in this area, not bringing up the rear. It’s been three years already.

As for marketplace acceptance, yeah, there’s going to be plenty of Old Jeepers who won’t touch it with a ten foot pole. But if done right, it could be like 1997 all over again when the Wrangler introduced the Old Jeeper World to - gasp - coil springs.
I think their major hurdle is where to stuff the battery, especially on the 2 door they are very limited, Magneto 2.0 has a 70kWh, I don't think that is giving anything close to an acceptable range for widespread adoption.

I think they said late 202x for an EV Wrangler, so it might be they are waiting for better battery tech to make an EV Wrangler a reality.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I think their major hurdle is where to stuff the battery, especially on the 2 door they are very limited, Magneto 2.0 has a 70kWh, I don't think that is giving anything close to an acceptable range for widespread adoption.
Resize the battery, maybe add a couple more and put them where all the weight used to be in ICE Jeeps; under the hood, inside the transmission tunnel, where the gas tank and exhaust used to be… I think it can be done, it’s called Engineering. Jeep needs to take the lead in this market.

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
We're both engineers....lets make this happen for Jeep. I imagine they're using Catia, Solidworks or NX...just need the models....the concept power train from Jag and we'll make it fit!

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...The current battery tech just can't support this. Nobody could actually drive it to the trails wheel it all day and drive home without charging it at least once.
This is the uncomfortable truth ignored by the EV-at-all-costs zealots. At the Chicago auto show this year I overheard one of the mfr reps saying "new battery tech comes out every year and you see it with increased vehicle range". Um, huge negatory on that.

I interject to their conversation that battery tech itself didn't change, the mfrs just increased the size and cost of that 30yr old battery tech and added some better thermal management. I was waived away as a "denier"; a denier of what, science?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Turbines are horrible at most things outside of a specific RPM range and make diesel look like the best engine ever from an environmental perspective.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.