Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
They can be peeled off - but it isn't by any means "easy" - they stick pretty good - I don't think you would damage your paint or anything like that, but I could see damaging the panels (causing creases in the panel) when removing them.
Thanks! Just watched the YT vid that was linked with the tutorial. it was interesting. I may consider this. I'm curious how they work/ store longer term. I get to go wheeling about once a month (if I'm lucky). Seems impressive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
REDSEAL199

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
SO, stupid question: can these be put on, the day before a trail ride, and then be taken off again and stored? Or are they a "stick 'em on and they're there until you peel them off" option?
I read their website but can't figure out if it's meant to be removable on the regular or if it's meant to stay
Won’t work for a jeep. They will work for other vehicles though. Look up GoatArmor. Guy I wheel with uses them on his 4Runner. They are nice.

mcgunny

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Thanks! Just watched the YT vid that was linked with the tutorial. it was interesting. I may consider this. I'm curious how they work/ store longer term. I get to go wheeling about once a month (if I'm lucky). Seems impressive.
They come with a large roll of the plastic sheet that the armor will stick to, so that you can stick the pieces to it when you take them off and just roll it for storage.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Won’t work for a jeep. They will work for other vehicles though. Look up GoatArmor. Guy I wheel with uses them on his 4Runner. They are nice.
Works great on a Jeep, including the JL

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Works great on a Jeep, including the JL
What's the problem with them, specifically? I watched the vid, they look like they'll work just fine- different backing than the JK ones. It's gel based vs. magnets.
Also, looks like Goat armor is only for Toyotas.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
SO, stupid question: can these be put on, the day before a trail ride, and then be taken off again and stored? Or are they a "stick 'em on and they're there until you peel them off" option?
I read their website but can't figure out if it's meant to be removable on the regular or if it's meant to stay
From the MEK Magnet website
  • Armor is designed for off-road trail protection, do not leave on for extended periods of time without regularly removing the Armor to clean it and the Jeep. A thin layer of dust and grime builds up from daily driving that may build-up under the Armor causing the panel to lift during higher speeds of travel.
  • Install (and store) only when clean and dry. To clean gel-back side, rinse with water and gently rub off any debris with clean hands to maximize and preserve adhesion life. Allow to air dry before reinstallation or storage. Do not scrub gel-back with any material.
  • Gel-backed Armor installation may take 1-2 hours and recommended before heading to the trails. Magnet panel installation should take about 15-30 minutes and can be installed at the trail head.
https://www.mekmagnet.com/pages/installation-care

NorCalJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (May)
From the MEK Magnet website
  • Armor is designed for off-road trail protection, do not leave on for extended periods of time without regularly removing the Armor to clean it and the Jeep. A thin layer of dust and grime builds up from daily driving that may build-up under the Armor causing the panel to lift during higher speeds of travel.
  • Install (and store) only when clean and dry. To clean gel-back side, rinse with water and gently rub off any debris with clean hands to maximize and preserve adhesion life. Allow to air dry before reinstallation or storage. Do not scrub gel-back with any material.
  • Gel-backed Armor installation may take 1-2 hours and recommended before heading to the trails. Magnet panel installation should take about 15-30 minutes and can be installed at the trail head.
https://www.mekmagnet.com/pages/installation-care
The removal note is just their CYA. I've had mine on for weeks if not months and then reinstall. If you do a clean and dry install it basically seals against the paint. So I emphasize "dry" because if any moisture is under it for a long period the clear will haze over - but it dries clear. Also the cleaner it is the stronger the adhesion - and it's been wind tested on a Porsche around a racetrack I think 150mph+ (video is out there).

But while they have to be clean going on - my secret trick to storage is just stacking them on a 2'x4' piece of Home Depot whiteboard (or just the garage freezer) BUT while they're semi dirty/dusty. That way they don't over stick together since the gel is super adhesive yet doesn't dry out in my experience.

Even if you have a JK I really advise upgrading to gel armor over magnet. It's so strong you need to use two hands while removing big pieces - but also to avoid creasing. Otherwise once you get it you'll quickly figure it out and wonder why you waited so long to get it BEFORE you got your pinstripes.

Eff that - this thing costs me too much. Haha...

OP
OP
REDSEAL199

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
The removal note is just their CYA. I've had mine on for weeks if not months and then reinstall. If you do a clean and dry install it basically seals against the paint. So I emphasize "dry" because if any moisture is under it for a long period the clear will haze over - but it dries clear. Also the cleaner it is the stronger the adhesion - and it's been wind tested on a Porsche around a racetrack I think 150mph+ (video is out there).

But while they have to be clean going on - my secret trick to storage is just stacking them on a 2'x4' piece of Home Depot whiteboard (or just the garage freezer) BUT while they're semi dirty/dusty. That way they don't over stick together since the gel is super adhesive yet doesn't dry out in my experience.

Even if you have a JK I really advise upgrading to gel armor over magnet. It's so strong you need to use two hands while removing big pieces - but also to avoid creasing. Otherwise once you get it you'll quickly figure it out and wonder why you waited so long to get it BEFORE you got your pinstripes.

Eff that - this thing costs me too much. Haha...
Link for gel armor??

NorCalJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (May)
Last edited:

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm back on the list waiting for my bank account to build up a bit before purchasing. I ordered their sample about two weeks ago and was impressed. I didn't know if it would stick to the Griot's garage ceramic coating, but it did just fine. I left it on for a few days, drove 70mph on the expressway, and it didn't budge a bit.

They're expensive, but it seems like every time I go in the woods, I get at least one new light pinstripe. It will be some peace of mind before anything gets a more serious scrape.

I also wished they came in clear, but I would guess it would be harder to get the bubbles out. Thanks for the tip about the whiteboards too. Once I get them, I think I'll do that as well, but wash them down before doing it. I didn't quite understand the comment about putting them away dirty.

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
LLumar makes a film called Platinum Extra. It’s a 10mil PPF product designed for extreme use vehicles. Has all the same properties as the regular Platinum - 10 year warranty, self-healing as well as being thicker to handle more impact. Of course, it won’t stop your vehicle from getting dented, but it will help protect against some impacts that standard PPF would not.
Xpel also has Ultimate Plus 10: https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza

PJJeepLife

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

I have the MEK Magnet product on my 392 - first, they aren't magnetic, it's a thick plastic product with a very sticky inner layer that adheres to the paint quite well. Only problem I've encountered is that they don't handle wet weather very well - a real problem living up here in the Pacific Northwest (the moisture seeps under the panels and causes them to loose adhesion in the corners).

But they do look good.

2C0B793C-BC61-4B41-8933-621BE6424B3B_1_201_a.jpeg
Your Jeep looks great! I have the MEK product for my JLU as well. What are you doing for storage when they are not on your Jeep? I am struggling with this a little.
Sponsored