Magnetic Paint Protection Panels

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
anyone run these ever? I looked them up on Morris 4x4 and there is only 1 review.
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Wouldn’t the dust trapped between the magnetic panel and the body panel damage the paint?

Maybe if you applied them right after a fresh wash and wax it could work.

Nobody wants to pay the five grand that a full PPF wrap costs, yet it remains the only way to truly avoid trail rash.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Wouldn’t the dust trapped between the magnetic panel and the body panel damage the paint?

Maybe if you applied them right after a fresh wash and wax it could work.

Nobody wants to pay the five grand that a full PPF wrap costs, yet it remains the only way to truly avoid trail rash.
I looked into the PPF, it will only protect against brushing up against bushes to an extent. Anything that would cause trail rash or at least my definition of trail rash, the PPF wouldn’t be enough protect the panels. After a while of off road use, it gets damaged from numerous scratches and ultimately don’t think it looks great fresh or with a few years of use. Paint can be polished out and repainted years down the road for that same $5,000.

I personally would be interested in then magnetic shields for the right price. I keep my Jeep pretty clean and could easily spray it down with a quick detailer or quick wash before installing and hitting the trail. It would protect the paint just as well as PPF from pinstripes in the forest.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep. The doors, hood and front fenders are aluminim. The tailgate is magnesium. Only the rear quarters, fllors and firewall are steel.

Sponsored

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I looked into the PPF, it will only protect against brushing up against bushes to an extent. Anything that would cause trail rash or at least my definition of trail rash, the PPF wouldn’t be enough protect the panels. After a while of off road use, it gets damaged from numerous scratches and ultimately don’t think it looks great fresh or with a few years of use. Paint can be polished out and repainted years down the road for that same $5,000.

I personally would be interested in then magnetic shields for the right price. I keep my Jeep pretty clean and could easily spray it down with a quick detailer or quick wash before installing and hitting the trail. It would protect the paint just as well as PPF from pinstripes in the forest.

My entire Jeep is has PPF on it. When I rub up against objects tree's and branches that get wedged and stuck in my hinges and door crevices. After a wash and sitting in the sun small scratches and swirls self heal. Large rips or gouges don't happen often. I damaged my ppf on the tailgate when I was trying to take the hardtop off myself. film is damaged but at least i know the paint underneath is still good. All my jeep friends love it cuz they can use the carwash brush on there vehicle without any swirls.

Jeep panels are aluminium so magnets wont work.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many

Of course the PPF is not going to protect from harsh trail rash. But it will give a lot more protection than one thinks. And your repaint scenario. Have you priced a complete paint job lately. Plus the XPEL can be replace one panel if needed plus it will to an extent "heal" itself when "rashed". Paint will not. Sure one can buff it out, but you're only going to do that a few times.

To each his own. Some like it. Some don't. For me it offers protection from brush and such that I would cringe at going through had I not had it covered. I like to keep my ride clean, like you.

Sam

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A guy in my off road club showed me the panels on his JK, and while I said I liked them, he was blown away when I showed him that the JL is mostly non-ferrous.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Of course the PPF is not going to protect from harsh trail rash. But it will give a lot more protection than one thinks. And your repaint scenario. Have you priced a complete paint job lately. Plus the XPEL can be replace one panel if needed plus it will to an extent "heal" itself when "rashed". Paint will not. Sure one can buff it out, but you're only going to do that a few times.

To each his own. Some like it. Some don't. For me it offers protection from brush and such that I would cringe at going through had I not had it covered. I like to keep my ride clean, like you.

Sam
I have priced out paint jobs and more then confident I could get my Jeep painted for $5,000 give or take with decent quality… Not like the factory paint is that great and also one reason I don’t buy metallic painted 4x4s for vehicles I intend to use off road (easier to blend). I actually forgot about the panels not being magnetic.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Option 1) live with the trail rash.
Option 2) wax often, polish every 6 months or year.
option 3) use turtle wax "ceramic" spray monthly, polish every year. That's what I do and my Jeep looks pristine.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Option 1) live with the trail rash.
Option 2) wax often, polish every 6 months or year.
option 3) use turtle wax "ceramic" spray monthly, polish every year. That's what I do and my Jeep looks pristine.
I been doing option 3 and I mostly wheel in the scratchy forest. Jeep looks great, can’t say the same for the soft top windows.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
LLumar makes a film called Platinum Extra. It’s a 10mil PPF product designed for extreme use vehicles. Has all the same properties as the regular Platinum - 10 year warranty, self-healing as well as being thicker to handle more impact. Of course, it won’t stop your vehicle from getting dented, but it will help protect against some impacts that standard PPF would not.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
Suntek and Llumar now have PPF that is ceramic coated right out of the box now. Nothing sticks or stains. Insects come off with a quick spray.

They also have 11.5m thick films for the high impact areas on the jeep for the rear fenders and the door hinges.

waxes and polishing don't protect your paint from pitting and rock damage.
Repainting is a terrible option.
Sponsored