Magnaflow Rock Crawler Arrived Today

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
Single stainless steel version. It is about 90 degrees here in NOVA, Jeep is still cooling down from driving home, so around 7pm ish I'll start installing and take sound clips.

Looks to be an incredibly easy install, I anticipate no more than 4 curse words.

IMG_2381.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
MallCrawlLol

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
Good and bad news.

Good news is that it sounds surprisingly good. Not raspy or ricey at all. I wouldn't describe it as a muscly deep tone, but a sporty one. It gets decently loud with more than half throttle. It can be pretty darn quiet when you're just idling, which is good for neighborhoods. Decel sounds good and sometimes it will crackle just a little bit (have a manual, so it's a bit easier to trigger that).

Bad news - the fitment. I could not get the final piece on. The extension pipe meant for the 4door appears to be about 2-3 inches too long. This would be easily fixed with a saw of some sort. Not sure if this is particular to the unit I received, or if they are all like that.

Not matter how hard I tried to push the pipes together, or how I adjusted the pipes, the first pipe that sits on the hanger is about 2-3 inches too far. It can fit on the hanger, but you have to rotate the hanger 90 degrees back. This of course is an issue since the final tailpipe piece will stick out too far and bang against the car frame and will not be able to mount to the hanger.

I must have jinxed myself when I posted earlier - I cursed quite a lot trying to get the pipes to fit together. No exhaust clips since it was raining the entire time and by the time I was done I was way too pissed off to put any more effort into the exhaust. It's supposed to rain tomorrow too, no idea when I'll get around to exhaust sound clips.

I have installed exhausts on probably about 10 different cars I've owned, anything from hyundais to porsches, so I'm no stranger to wrestling with exhausts, but I got my ass kicked by this one and I am going to blame it on the fitment. I even took the exhaust apart and sprayed lube on the connections and am 100% sure they cannot fit together any closer.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
That's to bad there still apparently fitment problems with this kit. I've been wanting to get one myself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I clearly see the problem, it’s missing the muffler bearings !
Check out toresen, I believe he put the same on his

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
What happened to magnaflow? They used to be top tier products. Seems like now everything they sell has fitment issues or major drone issues. They used to be known for being very well designed. Now it’s like they just jam a universal muffler in a box and call it a day.

Too bad.

OP
OP
MallCrawlLol

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
After driving around with this exhaust for a few more days, I have to say I'm very excited to see some headers get released, going to sound pretty gnarly with headers.

Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
When I recently installed a MagnaFlow axle-back exhaust system on my Jeep, I had to rent a pipe expander and open up the connecting pipe on the MagnaFlow because its inside diameter was too small for me to properly fit it onto the stock exhaust pipe. I've been installing MagnaFlow mufflers on various vehicles I've owned for years and this is the first fitment issue I've ever run into with them. Anyway, I got the pipe expanded and the rest of the installation went smoothly. The system looks and sounds great, but fitment issues shouldn't occur.

LBChip

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
Installed mine this morning, didn't take that long seeing my 3 year old helped out. I did have the same issue with length being too long. After mocking up, I had to pull it back apart and cut about 3" from one of the slip extensions. Once I did that, it fit like a glove. As far as sound goes, I thought mine was a bit "rice rockety" when throttling heavy. Basic speeds and standard shifting sounds pretty good. Throttle response feels a bit better as well.

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LBChip

Chip ....Your comment about your 3yo helping brought back memories. My Son's, are adults now, but they tell me often, they remember vividly helping me work on my trucks and stuff in the garage. Funny, they remember doing certain jobs, certain mods with me, when they were as young as say 8yo.

Hope you are taking pics. My boys (in there 30's now) love to see the pics..

I use to go around the neighborhood and pick up things like old bikes, toasters, sewing machines, old telephones and more on trash day.

I would bring the stuff home home and put them on the floor in the 2 car garage.. I'd tell the boys to have fun, get the tools, take this stuff apart.

Then, I would offer a prize if they could get it back together. They entertained themselves for hours and had a ball doing it. Can tell you that they are guy guys now and very very handy with tools, fixing things, etc..

Anyway, enjoy the kids company. He /she will always remember the days when Dad and ......

Here were the two youngest tearing into an old wall phone. They each had their own tool holder and tools. They cherish today the tools they got when they were little kids..

46.JPG

LBChip

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
@Rhinebeck01

That's awesome. You and me may be cut from the same cloth, as I too enjoy looking for "treasures" that others may call trash. I've got a boy and a girl, and they are both turning into little gear heads. I take them to all the car shows, jeep outings, and any other thing I can to keep them interested in hands-on activities. My pop wasn't a gear head like me, so I had to start it up myself.
My little dude always helps when I work in the garage, whether it's the Jeep, the Harley, or the hot rod.. I can't go in the garage without him saying "I coming".

Unknown-10.jpeg

Unknown-9.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: