First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Thank you all for your support! We love hearing that you are completely satisfied with the new kits!
I have read on Extreme Terrain some reviews that claim a fitment issue with the new JL axle back exhaust. I have also read similar reviews on another website. Can you tell me if the OEM exhaust diameter is the same as your axle back exhaust system? Thanks, need to understand before I order.
Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m sure I’ll get flamed for asking this but do you have any plans of making a switchable exhaust. There add some days I like loud and some where I like quiet.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired since 2004
I’m sure I’ll get flamed for asking this but do you have any plans of making a switchable exhaust. There add some days I like loud and some where I like quiet.

No problem. No, but I don't want it welded on.

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Looking at pictures of these back axle setups installed it looks like you lose clearance versus the stock exhaust. Is that right?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at pictures of these back axle setups installed it looks like you lose clearance versus the stock exhaust. Is that right?
Yes, a little, but really it is more due to the dual exhaust tips. With the factory exhaust, you only have the tailpipe sticking out one side, although it doesn't stick down below the bottom of the bumper quite as much as the Magnaflow. I kept my factory exhaust and might stick it back on for a Moab trip. Then again, I might not. The lift and 35s still give it a better departure angle than it had when it was fully stock, and it was pretty good then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Magnaflow

Magnaflow

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.magnaflow.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have read on Extreme Terrain some reviews that claim a fitment issue with the new JL axle back exhaust. I have also read similar reviews on another website. Can you tell me if the OEM exhaust diameter is the same as your axle back exhaust system? Thanks, need to understand before I order.
Yes, our systems use 2.5" diameter tube, which is the same as the stock system..

At this point in time, we do not have plans to offer a modular or dynamic-mode exhaust for the JL, but you could look into having the electric cutout system installed like some do to change sound on the fly.

Yes, a little, but really it is more due to the dual exhaust tips. With the factory exhaust, you only have the tailpipe sticking out one side, although it doesn't stick down below the bottom of the bumper quite as much as the Magnaflow. I kept my factory exhaust and might stick it back on for a Moab trip. Then again, I might not. The lift and 35s still give it a better departure angle than it had when it was fully stock, and it was pretty good then.
Still waiting on mine. The 9th came and went, no notification of shipment. Seems like Axle backs are in stock, but for some reason the cat back is being ignored. I guess it's too much trouble to take an axle back along with the cat section and piping from a polished exhaust (since that part is the same whether you get the black one or not) and ship it out to people who already ordered months ago. I probably would have not bothered ordering if I had known it would be this big of an ordeal. I get that these are popular, but if the black axle back is in stock, and the polished cat back is in stock for new orders, there's zero reason the black cat back should still be delayed for old orders.
This is correct. If clearance was something that was important to you in an exhaust, we would recommend going with our Rock-Crawler system, which was geared for more hardcore driving.

Last edited:

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Magnaflow: Thanks for your response. My axle back Magnaflow system is due to be delivered tomorrow.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Well, I received my Magnaflow axle back exhaust today from Extreme Terrain. I should have known better. The exhaust did not fit the OEM tailpipe. I tried for two hours to get the Magnaflow exhaust to fit over the tailpipe. I should have listened to the reviews. A company that produces defective product and ships it to retailers does not earn my business. Flowmaster here I come!

EMJeep

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I received my Magnaflow axle back exhaust today from Extreme Terrain. I should have known better. The exhaust did not fit the OEM tailpipe. I tried for two hours to get the Magnaflow exhaust to fit over the tailpipe. I should have listened to the reviews. A company that produces defective product and ships it to retailers does not earn my business. Flowmaster here I come!
That’s not good. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I’ve been on the fence lately about getting the axleback. Literally almost pulled the trigger and then this post has me second guessing.

I was hoping to see a response from @Magnaflow.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve been on the fence lately about getting the axleback. Literally almost pulled the trigger and then this post has me second guessing.

My axle back was an early one, in polished stainless, and it fit perfectly. The sound is just wonderful.

Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired since 2004

Check out the Extreme Terrain reviews and the reviews on Amazon. I am very annoyed as I had to take my Magnaflow axle back to UPS for return to Extreme Terrain, a forty 45 mile round trip. I would say it is a bit amateurish of Magnaflow to ship product that doesn't meet their advertising that claims "bolt on." This has cost me time and money. I am envious of those that have had no trouble installing their Magnaflow axle back exhausts. Caveat emptor! I have purchased a Flowmaster Force II kit. Cheaper and will fit as expected.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
Did you try going to Autozone or like Napa to get the pipe widened a little bit? Aftermarket exhaust slip-on stuff can be problematic.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
I know what you mean bro...somedays it’s Golden Girls and other days it’s Facts of Life.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Did you try going to Autozone or like Napa to get the pipe widened a little bit? Aftermarket exhaust slip-on stuff can be problematic.
Oh sure i should take a “bolt on” and spend more $$$ to fit! I don’t think so. Magnaflow indicated to me via this website they had some initial problems. They are amateurs in my opinion!

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
Oh sure i should take a “bolt on” and spend more $$$ to fit! I don’t think so. Magnaflow indicated to me via this website they had some initial problems. They are amateurs in my opinion!
I would rather spend $10 down the street to have the stuff I just got fit properly than order more stuff out of spite, with zero guarantee it will fit better than what’s already on my garage floor.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.