First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler 2-Dr
Occupation
Geo Engineer
I went ahead and installed the modified MF Crawler system today. I took about an hour including measuring, measuring twice and cutting/grinding the over-the-axle pipe on the end the tailpipe slips over. I took out 1-1/4 inches and the edge of the tailpipe clears the rear frame crossmember by about 3/8 inch. Should be ok but a little more wouldn't hurt.

I had tried every way possible to take up the slack w/o cutting the pipe. There was no way. Once the pipe was cut and I put a bevel on the edge with a grinder, everything went together nicely. Torqued down the clamps starting at the cat and working back and the muffler is mounted solidly. Note the clamps bottomed out before taking full 45 ft-lb torque. No leaks now but could be in the future. I'll weld it all up just to be sure.

I have attached some pics to show the mod. The proper fit would be to shorten the pipe going from the V-Clamp (cat converter) to the MF muffler so that the first rubber isolator supported the over-the-tailpipe section properly. But, as shown in the photo, it will not allow the muffler to slide backwards much as it is. The rear hanger is fine. When MF makes final mod's to the kit, it would be nice if they extended the pipe exiting the muffler and attach the hanger to it. This would allow an install w/o having to use a jack stand to support the muffler while installing the over-the-axle pipe. And it would make installation of the over axle pipe a little easier than trying to both support it with one hand and use the other hand to engage the rubber isolator.

Cut Taped II.jpeg
cut 1-1/4" off over-axle-pipe...

Bevel.jpeg

Beveled it...

Installed Tail Section.jpeg

And everything went together like it should have from MagnaFlow.

Pipe Alignment.jpeg

But...

Mid Hangar.jpeg

The mid-hangar has a rearward slant of about an inch. Taking out 1-1/4" from the pipe between the cat and muffler would fix this (MF, take note)...

Rear Hangar.jpeg

While the rear hangar sits pretty good.

Tailpipe Clearance.jpeg

Taking out 1-1/4 inches doesn't leave too much clearance (about 3/8 inch) but it should be ok with the rear slant of the hangars. I could not move it by hand after torquing.

After all this hootenanny I was able to get the rear lift on today and will finish up the front tomorrow afternoon. Things are starting to rock on!
One last note before I move on to other forums. The quick fix of cutting an inch and a quarter from the OTA works but it leaves scant clearance with the rear end at full droop. See the pic below I made when doing the rear lift. At full droop there is less than a half-inch clearance between the spring and the muffler pipe. Shouldn't be a problem, but could become one while hard offroading. I'll wait until I can really bash the Jeep offroad to comment further.
IMG_0451.jpeg
Sponsored

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
Add me to the list of people with $500 burning a hole in their pocket, waiting for @Magnaflow to get their shit together.

The silence is deafening.

It almost seems like they're okay with it fitting on half the vehicles, and letting the other half take it to exhaust shops to get it modified to fit and pay out of pocket. Turning a blind eye. This certainly doesn't seem like that difficult a fix. At least not one that requires MONTHS, with zero updates to their customer base other than "we're looking at it".

There's not even any sort of warning or asterisk on their website for the product letting people know what's going on.

PABoots

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Add me to the list of people with $500 burning a hole in their pocket, waiting for @Magnaflow to get their shit together.

The silence is deafening.

It almost seems like they're okay with it fitting on half the vehicles, and letting the other half take it to exhaust shops to get it modified to fit and pay out of pocket. Turning a blind eye. This certainly doesn't seem like that difficult a fix. At least not one that requires MONTHS, with zero updates to their customer base other than "we're looking at it".

There's not even any sort of warning or asterisk on their website for the product letting people know what's going on.

Check out high clearance option from Flowmaster. This is the outlaw for my 2 door JLR. Love the tone of this exhaust.

Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Anyone know if swapping out the muffler with an after market void the warranty?

Sponsored

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Anyone know if swapping out the muffler with an after market void the warranty?
I wondered the same. Found the information yet?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
No, swapping out a muffler will not void your warranty.

The Magnusun-Moss act covers warranties and one of the provisions basically says the manufacturer cannot void a warranty due to added aftermarket parts unless they can prove the added parts caused the failure.

Added a Supercharger? They could easily argue against a failed motor claim, but not against a faulty headlight harness.
Added 5.38 gears? They could argue broken drivetrain parts, but not a broken axle housing.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Compare against the Northridge4x4 Black Friday deals, if you can find it cheaper give us a call!

Hailchaser

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I just installed. Had to cut 2” of straight pipe that connects to rear of muffler. The two inches was cut off the farthest rear end of that straight pipe. Fit was excellent then. Problem, seems to be an exhaust leak. Super loud directly under drivers seat. Figuring it must be the oem clamp that is reused. Any options/ideas on how to fix? It’s the wife’s Jeep. She hates how loud it is. I tried to play it off but literally had to roll up the windows it was so loud going up the hill out of our neighborhood.
Sponsored