One last note before I move on to other forums. The quick fix of cutting an inch and a quarter from the OTA works but it leaves scant clearance with the rear end at full droop. See the pic below I made when doing the rear lift. At full droop there is less than a half-inch clearance between the spring and the muffler pipe. Shouldn't be a problem, but could become one while hard offroading. I'll wait until I can really bash the Jeep offroad to comment further.I went ahead and installed the modified MF Crawler system today. I took about an hour including measuring, measuring twice and cutting/grinding the over-the-axle pipe on the end the tailpipe slips over. I took out 1-1/4 inches and the edge of the tailpipe clears the rear frame crossmember by about 3/8 inch. Should be ok but a little more wouldn't hurt.
I had tried every way possible to take up the slack w/o cutting the pipe. There was no way. Once the pipe was cut and I put a bevel on the edge with a grinder, everything went together nicely. Torqued down the clamps starting at the cat and working back and the muffler is mounted solidly. Note the clamps bottomed out before taking full 45 ft-lb torque. No leaks now but could be in the future. I'll weld it all up just to be sure.
I have attached some pics to show the mod. The proper fit would be to shorten the pipe going from the V-Clamp (cat converter) to the MF muffler so that the first rubber isolator supported the over-the-tailpipe section properly. But, as shown in the photo, it will not allow the muffler to slide backwards much as it is. The rear hanger is fine. When MF makes final mod's to the kit, it would be nice if they extended the pipe exiting the muffler and attach the hanger to it. This would allow an install w/o having to use a jack stand to support the muffler while installing the over-the-axle pipe. And it would make installation of the over axle pipe a little easier than trying to both support it with one hand and use the other hand to engage the rubber isolator.
cut 1-1/4" off over-axle-pipe...
And everything went together like it should have from MagnaFlow.
The mid-hangar has a rearward slant of about an inch. Taking out 1-1/4" from the pipe between the cat and muffler would fix this (MF, take note)...
While the rear hangar sits pretty good.
Taking out 1-1/4 inches doesn't leave too much clearance (about 3/8 inch) but it should be ok with the rear slant of the hangars. I could not move it by hand after torquing.
After all this hootenanny I was able to get the rear lift on today and will finish up the front tomorrow afternoon. Things are starting to rock on!
Add me to the list of people with $500 burning a hole in their pocket, waiting for @Magnaflow to get their shit together.
The silence is deafening.
It almost seems like they're okay with it fitting on half the vehicles, and letting the other half take it to exhaust shops to get it modified to fit and pay out of pocket. Turning a blind eye. This certainly doesn't seem like that difficult a fix. At least not one that requires MONTHS, with zero updates to their customer base other than "we're looking at it".
There's not even any sort of warning or asterisk on their website for the product letting people know what's going on.
That exhaust is a crime against Jeep humanity. Anything that hangs below the rear bumper should be exterminated.This is going to be my first upgrade when my JLUR comes. Looks good and sounds aggressive.